Invisible Prey by John Sandford

Invisible Prey

by John Sandford

Series: Lucas Davenport (17)

On a deceptively quiet Minneapolis evening, Detective Lucas Davenport is summoned to one of the most heinous homicide scenes he's ever encountered. Two elderly women have been brutally bludgeoned inside their home, with only a few valuable yet common stolen items indicating the killer's sinister motives.… (more)

'Invisible Prey' is the 17th book in the Minnesota state detective Lucas Davenport series. I found this book to have a mellower Lucas, married with a young son. This story integrated a local murder investigation with an unseemly investigation of a Senator having sex with a minor in an election year. Several times, the murder was put on the back burner to free up Lucas for the political investigation.

When a rich elderly woman and her older maid are both bludgeoned to death, Lucas is asked to help with the case. As he looks into it, he comes across some other cases that are similar. With the way his mind works, he is able to fit puzzle pieces together to convince others that the cases are linked. The only problem is finding proof as well as finding the culprits. As is normal in the Prey stories, the reader knows who did it. We see their story running parallel to the police investigation. As the police close in, they devise plans to get away or distract the police. This is where the two plotlines come together. The thieves/murderers are pretty smart, as most are that Lucas comes up against, but he is smarter. Fortunately, Davenport has a free hand to run investigations across police jurisdictions due to his standing with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and the Department of Public Safety, and the support of the Governor's office. Once Art, Antiques, Quilts and furniture are identified as things that were either stolen or have a common thread, the chase is on as to whether the culprits will get away or Lucas will solve the case first.

Many of the same characters show up in this story and they are always entertaining. "That F....ing Flowers" who gets his own series later is an eccentric detective. He is often towing his boat behind when he shows up when called. There is a new character, an intern named Sandy, who does a lot of background work for Davenport. She is a bit in awe of him, but begins to develop a backbone as the story progresses. I hope she is in other books. Overall, a good detective story. This is definitely not a police procedural, as they break so many rules in the story, but it is a fun mystery. This fulfills my letter "I" in the ABC read your own books, challenge.
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Apparently this is the seventeenth book in this series but it is the first one I have read. For some reason I had always thought that this "Prey" series involved vampires and I just don't do vampire fiction. That was an erroneous assumption and there are no supernatural beings in this book (except for the lead investigator being supernaturally brilliant at solving crimes). Looks like I'm adding another author to my list of favourite mystery writers.

Lucas Davenport is an investigator with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (or BCA for short). He mostly works outside of the Twin Cities region but when a wealthy widow and her maid are killed in the city the governor asks that Davenport be involved. Constance Bucher collected art and antiques and quilts and some items may be missing from her home so the motive for the killings may have been theft. Davenport is trying to figure that out but he is also dealing with another case that involves a State Senator who is accused of having sexual relations with a girl under 16. The political overtones of that case are causing some serious headaches. The murder case becomes even more complicated when Davenport learns that another rich widow in Wisconsin was killed some years ago and that the two women knew each other. While Davenport is unravelling the threads the reader knows who committed the murders so the book becomes a will they be caught mystery rather than a whodunnit. That doesn't take any suspense away from the plot.

I've only been in Minneapolis/St. Paul a few times but I feel like I know the general outlines of the locale of this book. It certainly makes me want to visit again. I especially would like to see the Walker Art Center and its sculpture Spoonbridge and Cherry by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen which is mentioned in this book. ( )
  gypsysmom | Oct 21, 2017 |
Two women, an elderly heiress and her maid, are brutally bludgeoned on a dark and rainy night in a home in St. Paul's most element neighborhood. Lucas is dealing at the moment with a very politically sensitive investigation of a local politician who may have had just a bit too much to do with the minor daughter of his current paramour. But the old woman's murder, especially because of it's brutality, carries some poltical weight too, so Lucas looks in on the scene. The two disparate investigations - a sex scandal and a double murder - ultimately become involved

Sanford identifies the killers early to the reader and then plays very adroitly with us as Davenport attempts to discover who they are. John Sanford plays the mystery and the reader along beautifully. As the last hundred of pages or so rush by, Davenport starts closing in, though it isn't until close to the end that we're sure the killers will be found before Davenport himself becomes a victim. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Vintage police thriller featuring Lucas Davenport untangling a series of unsolved murders committed by some really unlikely felons. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Apr 3, 2015 |
The latest novel from bestselling author Sandford features the return of Lucas Davenport in this brilliantly suspenseful, richly characterized, and exciting drama that is one of the most startling in the Prey series yet. ( )
  Tutter | Mar 1, 2015 |

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een onopvallend busje in onbestemde kleur reed door Summit Avenue, de ruiten donker van de vallende avond.

A wealthy woman and her maid are murdered. Robbery
would be seem the likely scenario, except that none of the clues are coming together for Lucas Davenport. At least not those he can see.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,625,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible