Survivor by Tom Hoyle

Survivor

by Tom Hoyle

141971,329 (3.5)None

This is not part of the Thirteen/Spiders series but a stand alone horror book. A group of English boys are sent to Australia to participate in the Ultimate Bushcraft camp where they learn survival skills and then as a group travel through remotest parts of the outback. We know something has gone terribly wrong as the story begins with one boy George Fleet typing up a statement about the incidents. His story is then interspersed with the raving thoughts of a madman - a psychopath who systematically murders each of the boys as they go along. We, the reader, must figure out if George is the murderer ( the police have him in custody so they think he is) or, if he isn't, which one actually is. There are all the usual red herrings and set ups as the boys try to work out whether the deaths are accidents or something more sinister.
I won't give it away, but I figured out who the psychopath was and his accomplice about half way through. It will be interesting to see if the young adult readers do.
This book reminded me a lot of the teenage fiction I grew up with in the 80s from the USA....group of kids off the grid, picked off one by one....you know the deal. ( )
  nicsreads | May 16, 2016 |

After saving a mother and her baby from a fire, George Fleet wins a bravery award and a free trip to Australia to experience the ultimate bushcraft adventure. The bushcraft adventure involves a group of boys around his age (twelve years old). But pretty soon, the boys begin dying. Who is responsible for this?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,759,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible