Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

A Crown of Swords (1996)

by Robert Jordan

A fantasy tale in a world where only women are allowed to practice magic. What's more, they will fight to preserve this feminine monopoly. When shepherd Rand al'Thor discovers he has the gift of magic, he is in for trouble. By the author of Lord of Chaos.

This is the first book in the supposed slog of the series. To be honest, it's been a slog for me since book 4. And I like this one a little more than book 6. There are some long-needed telling-offs and putting-in-places. And while the ending isn't as banger as previous books, there are some cool happenings such as a hobo rumble.

This is the first book in the series to squarely address the problem of rape. It doesn't examine the issue in much detail, but it does explore the confused mix of emotions felt by a male victim of a female rapist. And the book acknowledges that in a world where women have most of the power, women can rape men and get away with it, and the male victims won't be taken seriously. ( )
  KGLT | Oct 31, 2021 |
Wow, I didn't realize how long this one took me to read - 42 days! Since the pandemic started, I've lost my 2 hour daily commute/listening time, so I only get to listen when I do road runs/walks. Still, I thought that I'd read it quicker than that. Maybe it's because it just flowed better than the previous one? I'm glad to see that Mat got a lot of face time in this book, even if he's still so whiny. And the return of another character that hasn't been around for awhile was very welcome. On to the next one! ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
Well, this installment of WOT may be regarded as part of the "slog" but I think it is actually the book I have enjoyed the most so far. Am not sure why. It's certainly shorter. The characters are showing some signs of maturity although not many. I still hate Faile and prefer the Rand POV. My audiobook listening is on 1.75X which also speeds up the read. ( )
  infjsarah | Aug 11, 2021 |
And so begins the slog.

[b:A Crown of Swords|13890|A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1358542379s/13890.jpg|791214] is by far the slowest book of the series thus far.

What was once a climactic battle--Rand versus the one or more of the Forsaken, in Shadar Logoth no less--feels somehow less for all the times we've seen it, even if Rand does end up conquering another kingdom.

Egwene spends the entire book trying to solidify her position as Amyrlin in truth, including a whole handful of things 'that have never been done' (we hear quite a lot of that series).

The main plot line in this book follows Elayne, Nynaeve, Birgitte, Aviendha, and Mat in Ebou Dar, searching for the Bowl of the Winds--a ter'angreal that could be used to heal the weather. It's an interesting enough plotline, but do in large part to every single main character in this series' inability to communicate with one another, it takes far longer than it should. And hey. The Seanchan are back.

Unfortunately, together with [b:The Path of Daggers|140974|The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1390508613s/140974.jpg|1098593], [b:Winter's Heart|13891|Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1480096268s/13891.jpg|791225], and [b:Crossroads of Twilight|113435|Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1408325146s/113435.jpg|195579], A Crown of Swords begins the slow section of a Wheel of Time, with the vast majority of plotlines likely to be cut if/when the series moves to TV. There's still a whole pile of fascinating storylines and epic battles, but they do tend to come fewer and further between.

Still worth the read. Just perhaps with a bit more skimming. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
I was pleasantly surprised (as I have been by the last couple of books) that there was enough relevant plottage going on to keep me wanting to read the book, rather than just trudging through it out of some self-flaggelation type of obligation. I almost gave the book 4 stars. Almost.

The ending is . . . lame. WoT endings are usually by far the best part of the book, but this ending is a bit anti-climatical and doesn't leave us with much closure. I'm still not convinced that Sammael is dead, no matter what anybody says.

It's hard to believe that this book only covers a period of about 10 days. Jordan's habit of backtracking every book to keep us up to date with what was going on with the rest of the world at the end of the last book is extremely annoying. And it just gets worse as the series goes along. ( )
  AngelClaw | Mar 24, 2021 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land. Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield. He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

- From a much-disputed translation of 'The Prophesies of the Dragon' by the poet Kyera Termendal, of Shiota, believed to have been published between FY 700 and FY 800.
To Harriet, who deserves the credit once again.
From the tall arched window, close onto eighty spans above the ground, not far below the top of the White Tower, Elaida could see for miles beyond Tar Valon, to the rolling plains and forests that bordered the broad River Erinin, running down from north and west before it divided around the white walls of the great island city.

Rand al'Thor, il Drago Rinato, si prepara ad attaccare il Reietto Sammael in Illian, e al tempo stesso si adopera per reprimere la ribellione portata avanti dai nobili di Cairhien. Con l’aiuto di Asha’man, Rand dovrà affrontare in un terribile duello Sammael a Shadar Logoth per conquistare la corona di Illian, un tempo nota con il nome di Corona d’Alloro e ora chiamata Corona di Spade.
Egwnene al’Vere e Siuan Sanche tentano di mettersi alla guida delle Aes Sedai ribelli a Saidar e contrastare il gruppo comandato da Elaida nella Torre Bianca di Tar Valon. Intanto, nella città di Ebou Dar, Elayne Trakand, Nynaeve al’Meara e Mat Cauthon sono ancora in cerca del ter’angreal, il solo mezzo con il quale sarebbe possibile bloccare l’innaturale clima torrido che il Tenebroso ha gettato sul mondo. Il Popolo del Mare sarà loro alleato nella ricerca e nello scontro con un Gholam.
What's happening here? / Some kind of plot or intrigue / I'll go back to sleep (davidwil)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,331,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible