A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan

A Crown of Swords (1996)

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (7)

Perhaps I should be rating the books of this series higher. No matter how annoyed I get at the (surprisingly similar) aggrevating behavior of each of the original Two Rivers characters in persisting in thinking that they know better than everyone else and refusing to share potentially important information with their friends, once I start reading one of the books I can't stop until I am done.

This 7th entry in the series had many of these annoying moments (too many) but it was also the first book in the series in which a character showed some growth - surprisingly Mat Cauthon. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 6, 2018 |
See my review of Book One ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
A Crown of Swords is the seventh book in The Wheel of Time. I’m not sure if I’ve reached the dreaded middle books that many people found to be tedious, but I’m still not bored myself. On the other hand, I can see where people might have lost patience with this book because some plot threads seemed to be at a standstill for most of it. I still felt like the story continued to move forward, though, and there were interesting things that happened.

However, I’m usually pretty content to read lengthy tomes in a series that I’m enjoying, as long as I enjoy the characters and the general story. Epic fantasy is my favorite subgenre of my favorite genre, and I try not to oversaturate myself with it, so that may be contributing to my level of enjoyment.

As with previous books, the rest of my review consists of random, spoiler-filled comments that I’ll put behind spoiler tags.
Starting with the end first… I’ll be really surprised if Sammael actually proves to be dead. I never trust an ambiguous death where nobody sees the character’s moment of death and/or there’s no body. More often than not, the author left that ambiguity for a reason.

I’m also curious who that mystery guy is who helped Rand near the end. My first thought was Logain, but Rand believed his face was completely unfamiliar and Rand saw Logain’s face in Caemlyn, so I guess it probably isn’t him unless he was disguising himself. My second thought was that maybe it wasn’t an actual, physical person at all, but rather that Rand’s interactions with Lews Therin have taken on a new dimension and now he’s starting to see him instead of just hear him. It could also be that Myrddraal guy, Shaidar Haran, or possibly a disguised Forsaken, working toward some darker, long-term purpose that requires Rand to be alive for now.

I was happy that Nynaeve’s block was finally released. I have this naïve hope that maybe now she’ll stop being angry all the time, but I know that’s a futile hope. :) The cover was kind of a spoiler for the scene where Lan showed up. As soon as Nynaeve ended up underwater, I suddenly realized what the cover was portraying and, since I had already been expecting Lan to show up at any time, I was certain the male character on the cover must be Lan. But at least I wasn’t spoiled about it until right before it happened.

I was never quite sure if the author intended for Queen Tylin’s pursuit of Mat to be funny, but I found those parts disturbing. “No” should be respected from men as much as from women. I did like seeing Elayne and (sort of) Nynaeve treat Mat with some more respect finally. I also liked seeing Elayne put her foot down and take a position of leadership among the other Aes Sedai in Ebou Dar.

Cadsuane seems a curious and ambiguous character. I haven’t decided yet if she’s good, evil, or just following her own personal agenda. I’m curious what the unpleasant lesson is that she’s going to teach Rand and the Asha’man as per Min’s viewing. The only thing I can think of is something to do with balefire. Either way, I expect something bad is going to happen sooner or later due to Rand using balefire too freely.
2 vote YouKneeK | Jan 14, 2018 |
best part was Lan and Nynaeve got married..so happy! A lot of build up for not a lot of payoff. And the book would probably be 50 pages shorter if you cut out all the descriptions of the girls dresses. ( )
  kristiem75 | Oct 30, 2017 |
A rating between 3.5 and 4. I did no like the ending... twas a wee bit abrupt. Mostly enjoyed the book up til that part. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land. Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield. He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

- From a much-disputed translation of 'The Prophesies of the Dragon' by the poet Kyera Termendal, of Shiota, believed to have been published between FY 700 and FY 800.
To Harriet, who deserves the credit once again.
From the tall arched window, close onto eighty spans above the ground, not far below the top of the White Tower, Elaida could see for miles beyond Tar Valon, to the rolling plains and forests that bordered the broad River Erinin, running down from north and west before it divided around the white walls of the great island city.

Rand al'Thor, il Drago Rinato, si prepara ad attaccare il Reietto Sammael in Illian, e al tempo stesso si adopera per reprimere la ribellione portata avanti dai nobili di Cairhien. Con l’aiuto di Asha’man, Rand dovrà affrontare in un terribile duello Sammael a Shadar Logoth per conquistare la corona di Illian, un tempo nota con il nome di Corona d’Alloro e ora chiamata Corona di Spade.
Egwnene al’Vere e Siuan Sanche tentano di mettersi alla guida delle Aes Sedai ribelli a Saidar e contrastare il gruppo comandato da Elaida nella Torre Bianca di Tar Valon. Intanto, nella città di Ebou Dar, Elayne Trakand, Nynaeve al’Meara e Mat Cauthon sono ancora in cerca del ter’angreal, il solo mezzo con il quale sarebbe possibile bloccare l’innaturale clima torrido che il Tenebroso ha gettato sul mondo. Il Popolo del Mare sarà loro alleato nella ricerca e nello scontro con un Gholam.
What's happening here? / Some kind of plot or intrigue / I'll go back to sleep (davidwil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550285, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert Jordan has created a rich and intricate tapestry of characters in his Wheel of Time series. In this seventh volume, Rand al'Thor--the Dragon Reborn--draws ever closer to the Last Battle as a stifling heat grips the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

Elayne, Aviendha, and Mat work to restore the world's natural weather, while Egwene gathers a group of female channelers and Rand confronts the dread Forsaken Sammael.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,685,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible