Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan

Crossroads of Twilight

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (10)

Unquestionably the slowest, least appealing book in the series to date, yet even this slog won't deter me. I'm gonna finish this series, may the Light have mercy upon me. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
Too much rehashing of previous events ( )
  leslie.98 | Nov 15, 2018 |
Crossroads of Twilight is the tenth book in The Wheel of Time. I think what I liked best about this book was that all of the main characters’ stories were given at least a little page time. Many, but not all, of the smaller subplots moved forward a tiny bit also. It seemed like at least one major storyline was always left hanging in the last few books, and I wouldn’t have been happy about letting any of the main stories sit on the back burner during this entire book, so I was happy to see them all represented.

Of course, with several different storylines covered in a “mere” 800+ page book, this means some of them didn’t get nearly as much page time as I would have liked, and there really weren’t many major events or revelations in this book. Everything did move forward a little bit, though, and I was never bored. If I’d waited a couple years for this book, and known I’d have to wait a couple years for the next book, I might have been more disappointed at the slow progress. For me, this was just a few more interesting pages in one really long and really interesting story and therefore no less enjoyable than the earlier pages.

I have a few more spoiler-ish comments in the tags:
That was quite a cliff hanger at the end, with Egwene apparently captured by people in the white tower, who knows which faction, and apparently being forced to drink that lovely forkroot tea. Hopefully she won’t be treated like Mat was a while back and be left hanging for a full book! Speaking of tea, I’m starting to get nervous every time anybody in one of the books drinks tea, wondering if something horrible is about to happen. Even seemingly-innocent scenes involving tea have me on edge. :)

I hope Halima gets unmasked soon. It’s easy to understand how “she” has gone undetected all this time, but it seems like her time is growing short with the Aes Sedai talking about allying with the Asha’man against the Forsaken. If they bring an Asha’man anywhere near Halima, the game will be up. I guess she’ll run if/when they arrive.

I’m still really enjoying Mat’s story, and he and Tuon are probably the most interesting of the relationship pairings introduced in this series so far, in large part because there’s less angst and more curiosity. I’m also curious what’s up with Noal. Clearly there’s more to him than meets the eye, but I don’t have any definite clues as to what.

The references to Thom’s letter drove me nuts because I’ve been wanting to know what’s in that letter, assuming it’s the one from Moiraine, for about five books now. I guess it could be something about Thom’s nephew.

Elayne’s storyline has been the least memorable over the last couple of books. I’m not bored by it while I read it, but it’s the story I have to think hardest about by the end of the book to remember what exactly happened. I'm not having that problem with the others.
1 vote YouKneeK | Feb 7, 2018 |
That... wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Of course if I had been waiting ages for it to read it after Book 9 and no sign of Book 11 on the horizon after finishing it..? I probably would have went nuts. Hahahaha. Anyway... onwards to Book 11! ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Summary: NOTHING HAPPENS. Mat is fleeing Ebou Dar with Valan Luca's traveling circus, with Tuon, the kidnapped Seanchan princess, in tow. He knows he's destined to marry her, but he can't figure her out. Perrin is marshaling his forces to rescue Faile, who was taken by the Shaido Aiel and is serving as gai'shain to Sevanna in the captured town of Malden, and plotting her own escape. Egwene has both literal and figurative headaches, has Traveled the rebel Aes Sedai to Murandy, and is making plans to re-take Tar Valon, although it's not clear what the plans actually are until the very last chapter, when (surprise!) they go badly wrong. Elayne is pregnant and is tired of drinking goat's milk or weak tea and generally being coddled and is trying to secure her claim to the throne of Andor, but support for House Trakand is thin on the ground. Rand is... in the book? He doesn't actually do much of anything in this book other than listen to Loial's report on the Ogier and the Waygates, although we learn that despite having cleansed the Dark One's taint from saidin, Rand's still getting sick when he seizes the power. Everyone is freaking out about the blaze of the One Power from Rand cleaning saidin at the end of the previous book, but no one really does anything about it or believes it if they hear that the male half of the source is now clean. SERIOUSLY NOTHING HAPPENS.

Review: As *may* be apparent from this summary, this book is not very good. At all. I think it's easily the worst of the series - while I know I have complained about nothing happening in previous books, at least there are sizeable battles or saidin being cleansed to cap them off. In this one, there is truly nothing happening. Probably about 80% of the book takes place the day of the cleansing of saidin, or at best a day or two afterwards, as we get a handful of chapters on what each of the non-Rand characters was doing at that time. And the answer to what they were doing? MORE OF THE SAME. It emphatically does not require an entirely separate novel just to tell us so. There also is no climactic battle or other final scene; it ends with a bit of a cliffhanger for one character, but five pages of excitement are not enough to justify the preceding 800 pages of tedium.

I'm giving it three stars, but even that is a stretch, and at least one and a half of those three are purely out of residual fondness for the series as a whole. Actually, fondness for the series as a whole is probably resulted in this novel in the first place - it really is more of the same, and it sort of feels like Robert Jordan said "Oh, you liked the previous books? HERE'S MORE OF EXACTLY THE SAME THING WITHOUT ANY FORWARD NARRATIVE MOVEMENT." (I've given up even trying to keep track of the sixteen thousand factions and allegiances among the Aes Sedai - there are so many of them that even with the help of Encyclopedia WoT it's just a losing battle.) That said, the fact that fans of this series have already invested so much time in these characters (most of them, anyways, there's a chapter in the middle from the point of view of one Elayne's rival claimants to the throne that just feels wildly out of place) means that we probably don't mind spending time with them, even if they're not doing much of anything. I know that's true for me; even when I first read the series, I'd spent so much time in the WoT universe that even though I was frustrated that more wasn't happening faster, I didn't entirely mind just hanging out. (When I originally read it, though, this was the most recent book published, so the cliff hanger seemed much more dramatic and exciting than it does now that I can immediately go pick up Knife of Dreams.) 3 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Despite the fact that nothing happens in this book, there's still *enough* that happens that you'll need to know about for future books. (But barely.) If you've read this far in the series, read this one fast and don't worry about picking up the details, and keep pressing on... the next one gets better, and the last three (co-authored by Brandon Sanderson) are better still. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jun 20, 2017 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ven, Sandra van deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And it shall come to pass, in the days when the Dark Hunt rides, when the right hand falters and the left hand strays, that mankind shall come to the Crossroads of Twilight and all that is, all that was, and all that will be shall balance on the point of a sword, while the winds of the Shadow grow.
--From The Prophecies of the Dragon translation believed done by Jain Charin, known as Jain Farstrider, shortly before his disappearance
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

---Anonymous fragment of a poem believed written near the end of the previous Age, known by some as the Third Age. Sometimes attributed to the Dragon Reborn.
For Harriet
Then, now, and always
Rodel Ituralde hated waiting, though he well knew it was the largest part of being a soldier.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812571339, Mass Market Paperback)

In the tenth book of he Wheel of Time from the New York Times #1 bestselling author Robert Jordan, the world and the characters stand at a crossroads, and the world approaches twilight, when the power of the Shadow grows stronger.

Fleeing from Ebou Dar with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, whom he is fated to marry, Mat Cauthon learns that he can neither keep her nor let her go, not in safety for either of them, for both the Shadow and the might of the Seanchan Empire are in deadly pursuit.

Perrin Aybara seeks to free his wife, Faile, a captive of the Shaido, but his only hope may be an alliance with the enemy. Can he remain true to his friend Rand and to himself? For his love of Faile, Perrin is willing to sell his soul.

At Tar Valon, Egwene al'Vere, the young Amyrlin of the rebel Aes Sedai, lays siege to the heart of Aes Sedai power, but she must win quickly, with as little bloodshed as possible, for unless the Aes Sedai are reunited, only the male Asha'man will remain to defend the world against the Dark One, and nothing can hold the Asha'man themselves back from total power except the Aes Sedai and a unified White Tower.

In Andor, Elayne Trakland fights for the Lion Throne that is hers by right, but enemies and Darkfriends surround her, plotting her destruction. If she fails, Andor may fall to the Shadow, and the Dragon Reborn with it.

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn himself, has cleansed the Dark One's taint from the male half of the True Source, and everything has changed. Yet nothing has, for only men who can channel believe that saidin is clean again, and a man who can channel is still hated and feared-even one prophesied to save the world. Now, Rand must gamble again, with himself at stake, and he cannot be sure which of his allies are really enemies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

Mat Cauthon flees the Shadow and the Seanchan Empire with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, while Perrin Aybara seeks to free his captive wife, and Egwere al'Vere seeks to reunite the Aes Sedai.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible