Lord of Chaos

by Robert Jordan

Rand al'Thor, a farm boy defending humanity, attempts to unite the nations for a last battle with the Dark One. The plan involves a pact with the Aes Sedai, the female mystics of the One Power. On the slopes of Shayol Ghul, the Myrddraal swords are forged, and the sky is not the sky of this world. In Salidar the White Tower in exile prepares an embassy to Caemlyn, where Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, holds the throne--and where an unexpected visitor may change the world. In Emond's Field, Perrin Golden-eyes, Lord of the Two Rivers, feels the pull of ta'veren to ta'veren and prepares to march. Morgase of Caemlyn finds a most unexpected, and quite unwelcome, ally. And south lies Illian, where Sammael holds sway. By the author of The Fires of Heaven.… (more)

This is the longest of the books, so it would've been the longest for me to get through even if the pandemic cost me the 2 hour listening time from my commute. In the end it took me 45 days to finish - YIKES! This series is going to take years for me to finish at this rate! Guess I need to increase my workout time, as that's my only listening opportunity for the near term.
Anyway, this book was very enjoyable - lots of Stuff happened; much more character development (well, primarily Rand, Egwene and Nynaeve. Mat maybe got a little, Perrin got shafted again). It really feels like a few of the events that happened in this book were Very Momentous, and I'm eager to start on the next one. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
I have massively sped up my listening speed on these books and I think that helped as I didn't find this one quite so annoying in the plot & character stakes. There was more Rand and less Nynaeve etc which also helped. But Perrin's return also brought the return of Faile who is possibly the most annoying character ever written (please someone kill her!) - is she meant to be so appalling or is this author failure to recognise it? It also makes Perrin look like an idiot & I doubt that was the intention.
Jordan's style is obviously plod, plod, plod then big finale. ( )
  infjsarah | Jul 24, 2021 |
Let the [b:Lord of Chaos|35231|Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1480096417s/35231.jpg|827903] rule.

Rand is trying to rule Cairhien and Caemlyn, Tear and the Aiel. Egwene is raised Amyrlin Seat. Nynaeve discovers how to Heal that which should be impossible to heal. Mat begins to build an army and finds himself bullied into following Elayne and Nynaeve to Ebou Dar.

And right at the end, in a far shorter segment than I remembered, Rand is kidnapped by Elaida's Aes Sadai, tortured, and saved in a battle between the Aes Sedai, Aiel (on both sides), and the first demonstration of Asha'man as weapons.

Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt.

There's a reason that's often described as one of the most intense scenes in the entire series...

The [b:Lord of Chaos|35231|Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)|Robert Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1480096417s/35231.jpg|827903] is quite a book. Well worth the read. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Another long installment in the Jordan's epic, Wheel of Time series. Once again, we see the Dragon Reborn, Rand al'Thor, battling the Dark One's emissaries (the Chosen) and the Aes Sedai. The Aes Sedai have split into two camps: former Amrylin Seat Sichuan Sanche is in Salidar while Elaida holds the White Tower. When Nynaeve heals false Dragon Logain and then Sichuan, the renegades name a new Amrylin Seat. A great showdown at the end and some new plot lines, such a Matrim's gathering and training of men that can channel, make up for a slow, laboring start to Book #6. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I swore when I was a teenager, I would one day finish the WoT series when Robert finished. It's finished, and yet I kept putting it off due to rediscovering childhood favorites might not hold up (I'm looking at you Pern and Shannara and others).

I remember this one being terrible (it is: a two hundred page plot spread into a one thousand page yawn). I remember the next one being worse (but I'll power through!) because dang it all, Robert Jordan (or Sanderson) may find what made the first three books of this series so great once again. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |

Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

--chant from a children's game heart in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age
The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign.
The seas rage, and stormclouds gather unseen.
Beyond the horizon, hidden fires swell, and serpents nestle in the bosom.
What was exalted is cast down; what was cast down is raised up.
Order burns to clear his path.

--The Prophecies of the Dragon
translation by Jeorad Manyard
Governor of the Province of Andor for
the High King, Artur Paendrag Tanreall
For Betsy
Demandred stepped out onto the black slopes of Shayol Ghul, and the gateway, a hole in reality's fabric, winked out of existence.
This is the complete "Lord of Chaos" and should not be combined with part issues.

Mentre la ruota del tempo gira, i venti del destino spazzano le terre. Rand al ‘Thor lotta strenuamente per riunire le nazioni in vista dell’ultima battaglia, contro le forze del Tenebroso-, mentre altri oscuri poteri tentano di assumere il controllo delle sue azioni. Dalla Torre Bianca di Tar Valon, guidata dall’Amyrlin Elaida, è stato stabilito che Rand deve essere frenato immediatamente. La siccità e il calore estivo continuano a ritardare l’inizio della stagione invernale, cosí Nynaeve al’Meara e Elayne, l’erede di Andor, cominciano una disperata ricerca del leggendario ter’angreal, che potrebbe conferire loro la facoltà di ripristinare le normali condizioni climatiche.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,382,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible