Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

Lord of Chaos

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (6)

Good book, good series, but this is where the sludge starts. Jordan's books are sterile and mechanical at best. This one drones on and on. This was my second attempt to read the series. Got lost at book 5 last time. I doubt there will be a third. But who knows. I have made it through some pretty tough books, Melmoth the Wanderer for example. So I don't feel too bad.
  Joe73 | Mar 29, 2018 |
See my review for Book #1 ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
This is book six in the Wheel of Time series. In my review of the previous book, I complained about all the muttering. Well, we still have plenty of muttering but, due to the weather, we now also have nearly as much sweating. There were 150 instances of sweat and 157 instances of muttering. This is one sweaty, muttery book. :) Although, to be fair, many of the instances of “sweat” being mentioned were to inform us various characters weren’t sweating. It was vitally important that the reader know at all times who was sweating and who was not.

Sarcasm aside, though, I enjoyed this book at least as much as all the previous books. All sorts of interesting things happened, some expected and some unexpected. I have a lot of additional random, rambling comments that need to go behind spoiler tags.

The most unexpected thing to me in this book was when Alanna bonded Rand against his will. I completely didn’t see that coming, and was pretty horrified by it. I’ve been annoyed by Elayne’s intentions to bond Rand, and never expected to see him bonded to anybody. I thought Alanna’s bonding would have a bigger impact than it did, but all it really seemed to accomplish was to serve as a convenient way to get the Aes Sedai in place for the big battle at the end. I was surprised he didn’t force her to break the bond at the end of the book when he had the Aes Sedai kneeling to him, but he’d been keeping it a secret so maybe he just didn’t want to bring it up in public, especially in front of Taim.

Speaking of Taim… that bunch is going to be trouble for sure. It will be interesting to see what effect Logain will have when he finds them, assuming he seeks them out as expected. I expect he might be useful, but I don’t really have a good feel for his personality or intentions and Min’s vision could be taken either way.

As predicted, Egwene is now the Amyrlin Seat, more or less. The author gave us several hints that this was coming, so it wasn’t a surprise, but I enjoyed seeing it. I’ve been enjoying her part of the story, especially over the last couple of books as she’s started to act more mature and self-controlled. I expect to see lots of clever scheming and manipulating on her part in future books.

It’s a good thing there aren’t too many chapters from Mat’s perspective or else the reader would spend the whole series full of misconceptions. He’s a fun character, but he’s always so completely wrong about things and incapable of recognizing that. Of course, it doesn’t help that Nynaeve and Elayne are apparently incapable of presenting calm, rational explanations that Mat might actually take seriously. They just get insulted by his misconceptions and jump straight off the deep end.

I was annoyed at not learning what was in the letter Moiraine left for Thom after it was finally delivered to him. I have all sorts of suspicions based on hints from both books four and five. In any case, I’m hoping there might be some answers by the time the girls find the storeroom with the weather bowl. I imagine Thom will be with them around the time that happens.

I knew from the beginning that the Forsaken who was given the female body must be a male, both because of “her” reactions to her body and because I didn’t think there were any female Forsaken it could be. I’m guessing one of the two must be Asmodean. I’m not sure which one but, if forced to pick, I would guess the female.

Oh, I almost forgot one more comment I wanted to make. Faile is really, really, really, really annoying! Really.
2 vote YouKneeK | Dec 29, 2017 |
Considerably better experience than my first read. But boy does this have a draggy middle. First and last third is pretty good... just barely makes up for the torturous plow through the middle third.

Onwards to Crown of Swords...

(Also I finished 6 other books in between reading this... la la la...) ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
I enjoyed this one quite a bit, almost as much as book 2 and book 3. The action continues both personally and on a whole world level and we learn a lot more about some of the characters that haven't been given as much time up to now. ( )
  Karlstar | Feb 21, 2017 |

Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Wheel of Time (Boxed Set #2) by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan (1-11) by Robert Jordan

Best of Robert Jordan: The Shadow Rising; The Fires of Heaven; Lord of Chaos; A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time Series) by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time, Books 1-11 and prequel "New Spring" by Robert Jordan

New Spring, Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time: Eye of the World, the Great Hunt, Dragon Reborn, Shadow Rising, Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, Crown by Robert Jordan

Contains

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

--chant from a children's game heart in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age
The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign.
The seas rage, and stormclouds gather unseen.
Beyond the horizon, hidden fires swell, and serpents nestle in the bosom.
What was exalted is cast down; what was cast down is raised up.
Order burns to clear his path.

--The Prophecies of the Dragon
translation by Jeorad Manyard
Governor of the Province of Andor for
the High King, Artur Paendrag Tanreall
For Betsy
Demandred stepped out onto the black slopes of Shayol Ghul, and the gateway, a hole in reality's fabric, winked out of existence.
This is the complete "Lord of Chaos" and should not be combined with part issues.

Mentre la ruota del tempo gira, i venti del destino spazzano le terre. Rand al ‘Thor lotta strenuamente per riunire le nazioni in vista dell’ultima battaglia, contro le forze del Tenebroso-, mentre altri oscuri poteri tentano di assumere il controllo delle sue azioni. Dalla Torre Bianca di Tar Valon, guidata dall’Amyrlin Elaida, è stato stabilito che Rand deve essere frenato immediatamente. La siccità e il calore estivo continuano a ritardare l’inizio della stagione invernale, cosí Nynaeve al’Meara e Elayne, l’erede di Andor, cominciano una disperata ricerca del leggendario ter’angreal, che potrebbe conferire loro la facoltà di ripristinare le normali condizioni climatiche.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513754, Mass Market Paperback)

In this sequel to the phenomenal New York Times bestseller The Fires of Heaven, we plunge again into Robert Jordan's extraordinarily rich, totally unforgettable world:

On the slopes of Shayol Ghul, the Myrddraal swords are forged, and the sky is not the sky of this world;

In Salidar the White Tower in exile prepares an embassy to Caemlyn, where Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, holds the throne--and where an unexpected visitor may change the world....

In Emond's Field, Perrin Goldeneyes, Lord of the Two Rivers, feels the pull of ta'veren to ta'veren and prepares to march....

Morgase of Caemlyn finds a most unexpected, and quite unwelcome, ally....And south lies Illian, where Sammael holds sway....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Struggling to unite his nations for the battle that would release the Dark One into their world, Rand al'Thor is unaware of the White Tower leader's plans to silence his efforts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,010,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible