dismiss

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

Lord of Chaos

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (6)

Rand al'Thor, a farm boy defending humanity, attempts to unite the nations for a last battle with the Dark One. The plan involves a pact with the Aes Sedai, the female mystics of the One Power. On the slopes of Shayol Ghul, the Myrddraal swords are forged, and the sky is not the sky of this world. In Salidar the White Tower in exile prepares an embassy to Caemlyn, where Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, holds the throne--and where an unexpected visitor may change the world. In Emond's Field, Perrin Golden-eyes, Lord of the Two Rivers, feels the pull of ta'veren to ta'veren and prepares to march. Morgase of Caemlyn finds a most unexpected, and quite unwelcome, ally. And south lies Illian, where Sammael holds sway. By the author of The Fires of Heaven.… (more)

The most half-baked book in the Wheel of Time series yet.
The first 80% of this book is seemingly useless, there are only beginnings but no endings; Robert Jordan spins plot-lines without any apparent interest in binding them together.

The only substantial progress in the books is seemingly from the Aes Sedai front (and the Asha'man of Rand led by Taim.) Other than that, we get no definite conclusion for Elayne, Nynaeve, Mat, Morgase, the Forsaken and plenty others whose characters were seemingly there on their own, without any care for where their own story starts or ends.

Not looking forward for the next book as much, but six books sent me in such a position that I have no choice but to end the series. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
... yeah, ok, I gave up on this! Urrgh! Get. To. The. POINT. Already!

So, I've skipped ahead to the Gathering Storm (one I haven't read before.)

Left this book with my original 3 Stars. It is a fine book, but it's long, and I cannot actually recall what happened in this book itself... ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
rand catturato ( )
  SamanthaRaciti | Feb 25, 2020 |
I don't want to pursue this analogy too far, but the Wheel of Times series reminds me a bit of a network television version of _Games of Thrones_. Lots of fun, but weak at times when compared to the best of the genre.

The series can be addictive -- I really am curious about how this all works out. The world building is also impressive. Jordan clearly spent years just thinking about the details of the universe in which the characters reside. The first book feels like a rip-off of _Lord of the Rings_ to some; I didn't mind that, and the rest of the series is very creative in that regard.

If only the publisher had insisted that Jordan work with an editor other than his wife (true). The story takes way too long to unfold. There are 14 books in this series, I have read only 6, and apparently the series slows down from here until the last few volumes. As fans know, Jordan died with only 3/4 of the story complete, and his wife had to select a successor (who apparently did a fine job of finishing things).

Jordan's prose is wordy and at times repetitive. He also has some weird tics. Just as an example, he is constantly describing the clothing of female characters, and he is sure to let the reader know how much cleavage is displayed. At such times, it's clear that Jordan knew that most readers would be boys between the ages of 10 and 16.

On the other hand, if the cleavage references annoy you, you still have to concede that most chapters pass the Bechdel test, important female characters outnumber important male characters and, in this world, women are, as a rule, more powerful than men.

What has annoyed me most is that the plot sometimes relies upon misunderstanding that would have embarrassed the writers of _Three's Company_. I often want to smack the characters for being stupid.

In the end, I AM enjoying it. I am going to watch any movie coming out of the Marvel Comics movie mill, and I am glad that I finally got around to reading this series, even though I certainly could be spending my commute time listening to something more edifying. ( )
1 vote Robert_Musil | Dec 15, 2019 |
opnieuw een goed geschreven verhaal, maar op sommige punten langdradig en soms verwarrend. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |

Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

--chant from a children's game heart in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age
The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign.
The seas rage, and stormclouds gather unseen.
Beyond the horizon, hidden fires swell, and serpents nestle in the bosom.
What was exalted is cast down; what was cast down is raised up.
Order burns to clear his path.

--The Prophecies of the Dragon
translation by Jeorad Manyard
Governor of the Province of Andor for
the High King, Artur Paendrag Tanreall
For Betsy
Demandred stepped out onto the black slopes of Shayol Ghul, and the gateway, a hole in reality's fabric, winked out of existence.
This is the complete "Lord of Chaos" and should not be combined with part issues.

Mentre la ruota del tempo gira, i venti del destino spazzano le terre. Rand al ‘Thor lotta strenuamente per riunire le nazioni in vista dell’ultima battaglia, contro le forze del Tenebroso-, mentre altri oscuri poteri tentano di assumere il controllo delle sue azioni. Dalla Torre Bianca di Tar Valon, guidata dall’Amyrlin Elaida, è stato stabilito che Rand deve essere frenato immediatamente. La siccità e il calore estivo continuano a ritardare l’inizio della stagione invernale, cosí Nynaeve al’Meara e Elayne, l’erede di Andor, cominciano una disperata ricerca del leggendario ter’angreal, che potrebbe conferire loro la facoltà di ripristinare le normali condizioni climatiche.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,524,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible