Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

Lord of Chaos

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (6)

Recently added byNazgul93, wildmoonwolf, jd313, Lahkesis, private library, InfiniteText, DBell74, SarahDubach, cad_lib

Much better. Back on pace after book 5. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Mar 1, 2019 |
I have another review of 'Lord of Chaos' floating around, a fragment from my last full reread of the series in 2009. I was not impressed, and while there are still problems with the series - the first reluctant nod to homosexuality goes to a villain first of all - but as I've been saying this latest reread has been refreshing and addictive. I missed these books.

'Lord of Chaos' takes place over ten or eleven days, but a lot of stuff is happening so I won't complain. Rand gets overconfident in Andor and Carhien and ends up in serious trouble.

Nynaeve, Elayne, Birgitte, Gareth Brynne, Min, Siuan and Leane are in Salidar with the Rebel Aes Sedai, the former trying to adjust to being Accepted again and making 'discoveries' - Nynaeve still has a block on her channelling ability, which holds her back. Gareth is building an army to take the White Tower, Min is preparing to go back to Rand, and Siuan and Leane are continuing to adjust to being cut off from the Power.

Mat is once more on his own, his initial desires to escape responsibility have led him to become head of his own private army.

Perrin, a hero and Lord in the Two Rivers now, heads out with another army and Faile and Loial and Three Aiel to join Rand - who he senses needs him.

There are plots within plots and this book in many ways creates a pressure cooker. The sheer number of characters - I'm not even bothering inserting the villains and Daes Da'mar nonsense - to move slows the narrative down. The existence of Traveling begins to ease this problem somewhat, but too many plot-lines for slim reasons don't take advantage of this.

This is still mostly a book to get through, but I found myself enjoying the pace.

The Wheel of Time

Next: 'A Crown of Swords'

Previous: 'The Fires of Heaven' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 21, 2019 |
People have often remarked on my, ahem, remarkable patience: whether in dealing with difficult people, difficult books, or with those annoyances that others don't want to put up with anymore. One of those annoyances has rereading the first six books of the Wheel of Time Series. This will be my third time.

I first read them my Freshman year of high school, the second run-through was a refresher for 'Knife of Dreams' my Freshman year of college. Most of the criticism of this series is spot-on: the endless descriptions, the cookie cutter citizens of the various nations, bosoms and how women are so hard to understand, am I right guys? I do object to this novel being dismissed as a Tolkien retread though, I'll never pick those books up for a second time. But in every novel, in-between slogging through yet another 'showdown' that brings Tarmon Gai'don one inch closer, the plot propels you through 100 pages without you noticing at all.

The Lord of Chaos is right in the middle of the six book slump that marks the worst moments of the series overall, there are important developments and the introduction of key elements - such as the Asha'man - but, for being the longest book in the series, the least amount happens chronologically.

Robert Jordan is a capable if sometimes tedious writer. Once I finish with the last of the Sanderson books I will never read this series again but the point of Fantasy like this is to serve as an escape and there is no arguing that one gets utterly lost in these books. With proper warning of what they're getting themselves into, I won't hesitate to recommend 'The Wheel of Time' to any Fantasy fan. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I can only imagine that it might be annoying that I rate all of the books in this series thus far as 5 stars. All I can say is that this is one of those rare series where I don't perceive of the individual books as separate pieces of media, but rather as parts of a whole. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
Good book, good series, but this is where the sludge starts. Jordan's books are sterile and mechanical at best. This one drones on and on. This was my second attempt to read the series. Got lost at book 5 last time. I doubt there will be a third. But who knows. I have made it through some pretty tough books, Melmoth the Wanderer for example. So I don't feel too bad.
  Joe73 | Mar 29, 2018 |

Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Wheel of Time (Boxed Set #2) by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan (1-11) by Robert Jordan

Best of Robert Jordan: The Shadow Rising; The Fires of Heaven; Lord of Chaos; A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time Series) by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time, Books 1-11 and prequel "New Spring" by Robert Jordan

New Spring, Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time: Eye of the World, the Great Hunt, Dragon Reborn, Shadow Rising, Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, Crown by Robert Jordan

Contains

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

--chant from a children's game heart in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age
The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign.
The seas rage, and stormclouds gather unseen.
Beyond the horizon, hidden fires swell, and serpents nestle in the bosom.
What was exalted is cast down; what was cast down is raised up.
Order burns to clear his path.

--The Prophecies of the Dragon
translation by Jeorad Manyard
Governor of the Province of Andor for
the High King, Artur Paendrag Tanreall
For Betsy
Demandred stepped out onto the black slopes of Shayol Ghul, and the gateway, a hole in reality's fabric, winked out of existence.
This is the complete "Lord of Chaos" and should not be combined with part issues.

Mentre la ruota del tempo gira, i venti del destino spazzano le terre. Rand al ‘Thor lotta strenuamente per riunire le nazioni in vista dell’ultima battaglia, contro le forze del Tenebroso-, mentre altri oscuri poteri tentano di assumere il controllo delle sue azioni. Dalla Torre Bianca di Tar Valon, guidata dall’Amyrlin Elaida, è stato stabilito che Rand deve essere frenato immediatamente. La siccità e il calore estivo continuano a ritardare l’inizio della stagione invernale, cosí Nynaeve al’Meara e Elayne, l’erede di Andor, cominciano una disperata ricerca del leggendario ter’angreal, che potrebbe conferire loro la facoltà di ripristinare le normali condizioni climatiche.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513754, Mass Market Paperback)

In this sequel to the phenomenal New York Times bestseller The Fires of Heaven, we plunge again into Robert Jordan's extraordinarily rich, totally unforgettable world:

On the slopes of Shayol Ghul, the Myrddraal swords are forged, and the sky is not the sky of this world;

In Salidar the White Tower in exile prepares an embassy to Caemlyn, where Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, holds the throne--and where an unexpected visitor may change the world....

In Emond's Field, Perrin Goldeneyes, Lord of the Two Rivers, feels the pull of ta'veren to ta'veren and prepares to march....

Morgase of Caemlyn finds a most unexpected, and quite unwelcome, ally....And south lies Illian, where Sammael holds sway....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Struggling to unite his nations for the battle that would release the Dark One into their world, Rand al'Thor is unaware of the White Tower leader's plans to silence his efforts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,398,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible