Meditations on First Philosophy by René…

Meditations on First Philosophy (1641)

by René Descartes

English (16)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (19)
Arguments (obviously) don't hold up to modern science, but a neat read nonetheless. ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
Logical and critical, this book is a good primer for those interested in Descartes and further philosophy. I recommend it to those seeking knowledge, logic, and sagacity. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 17, 2018 |
read for class. useful but not my thing at all. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |
complete garbage. who benefits from this stuff? ( )
  jmilloy | Nov 8, 2017 |
Good writer, interesting ideas, but please shut the fuck up you repeat things 384738384 times until it's hammered into my brain and it becomes boring. Fight me, Descartes. Fight me.

I'm only marking this as read because this is like the only full thing we read for philosophy and OHHH MY GOODDDDDDD. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |

Lafleur, Laurence JulienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rītups, ArnisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soriano, MarcIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, Bernard Arthur OwenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have a very good reason for offering this book to you, and I am confident that you will have an equally good reason for giving it your protection once you understand the principle behind my undertaking; so much so, that my best way of commending it to you will be to tell you briefly of the goal which I shall be aiming at in the book.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0872201929, Paperback)

Many other matters respecting the attributes of God and my own nature or mind remain for consideration; but I shall possibly on another occasion resume the investigation of these. Now (after first noting what must be done or avoided, in order to arrive at a knowledge of the truth) my principal task is to endeavour to emerge from the state of doubt into which I have these last days fallen, and to see whether nothing certain can be known regarding material things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:07 -0400)

"In Descartes's Meditations, one of the key texts of Western philosophy, the thinker rejects all his former beliefs in the quest for new certainties. Discovering his own existence as a thinking entity in the very exercise of doubt, he goes on to prove the existence of God, who guarantees his clear and distinct ideas as a means of access to the truth. He develops new conceptions of body and mind, capable of serving as foundations for the new science of nature. Subsequent philosophy has grappled with Descartes's legacy, questioning many of its conclusions and even his basic approach, but his arguments set the agenda for many of the greatest philosophical thinkers, and their fascination endures." "This new translation includes the Third and Fourth Objections and Replies in full, and a selection from the rest of these exchanges with Descartes's contemporaries that helped to expound his philosophy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,175,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible