dismiss

Meditations on First Philosophy (1641)

by René Descartes

This edition features reliable, accessible translations; useful editorial materials; and a straightforward presentation of the Objections and Replies, including the objections from Caterus, Arnauld, and Hobbes, accompanied by Descartes' replies, in their entirety. The letter serving as a reply to Gassendi--in which several of Descartes' associates present Gassendi's best arguments and Descartes' replies--conveys the highlights and important issues of their notoriously extended exchange. Roger Ariew's illuminating Introduction discusses the Meditations and the intellectual environment surrounding its reception.… (more)

English (15)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
It rly makes u think...
  theodoram | Apr 7, 2020 |
Logical and critical, this book is a good primer for those interested in Descartes and further philosophy. I recommend it to those seeking knowledge, logic, and sagacity. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 17, 2018 |
read for class. useful but not my thing at all. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |
complete garbage. who benefits from this stuff? ( )
  jmilloy | Nov 8, 2017 |
Good writer, interesting ideas, but please shut the fuck up you repeat things 384738384 times until it's hammered into my brain and it becomes boring. Fight me, Descartes. Fight me.

I'm only marking this as read because this is like the only full thing we read for philosophy and OHHH MY GOODDDDDDD. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |

Lafleur, Laurence JulienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rītups, ArnisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soriano, MarcIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, Bernard Arthur OwenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have a very good reason for offering this book to you, and I am confident that you will have an equally good reason for giving it your protection once you understand the principle behind my undertaking; so much so, that my best way of commending it to you will be to tell you briefly of the goal which I shall be aiming at in the book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,853,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible