The Nightmare Stacks by Charles Stross

The Nightmare Stacks

by Charles Stross

Series: The Laundry (7)

2041257,485 (4.08)5

English (11)  French (1)  All (12)
A bit to much military hardware for my taste, but still a very good addition to the Laundry series. ( )
  SChant | Jun 28, 2017 |
Gripping ( )
  jackthomas | Jun 16, 2017 |
Charlie Stross reboots the Laundry series as neophyte operative Alex Schwartz comes to terms with being seconded into the British Government's secretive paranormal defence establishment. This is the second volume in which readers have seen Bob Howard on sabbatical (having been powered up to such an extent that it is harder to sympathise with his plight).

By contrast, having Alex in the driver's seat allows us to experience with fresh eyes the insane joys of bureaucratic labyrinths, pennypinching accountancy departments, and the peculiarly stupid protocols and hierarchies of the military. Alex of course, is coping with losing his high flying job as a mathematics whiz at an investment bank, whilst adapting to the very special disease of vampirism, which he has contracted through by dabbling too deeply in arcane mathematics. Alex's mundane task is to scope out the ground for a relocation of the Laundry operations to Leeds. The location is less than pleasing to Alex, whose grandchild deprived parents are residents of that fair city, and who are likely to be disappointed by Alex's reduced circumstances.

Meanwhile, in another dimension, the girl of Alex's dreams/nightmares is on a mission to find refuge for the remnant of her people, who have been just a little too enthusiastic in their warring on each other for primacy. Breaking up their moon was, in retrospect, not the best of ideas.

Needless to say, these star-crossed lovers cross paths, and mayhem ensues ( )
2 vote orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
I'm assuming that you've read at least some of the previous books in the series with this review.

With this seventh book in the story of looming supernatural disaster for the Human world we get a further installment of what that event might look like, as dark elves with a perfected system of combat magic burst into England, leaving the Laundry and the higher security authorities reeling unless Alex Schwartz, junior paranormal intelligence operative and neurotic vampire, can penetrate the fae court. While some reviewers have used the word "fun" to describe this work, the course of the invasion (once that begins) is desperate and bloody, with the conclusion of the book coming like a car smashing into a brick wall and being something of a cliffhanger.

Do I recommend this book to previous readers of the series? Yes. But it is rapidly morphing into something very different than what Charlie Stross started out with "The Atrocity Archives." ( )
  Shrike58 | Oct 12, 2016 |
I really liked this.

I was skeptical of the viewpoint change--it was fine.

I had a few reservations while reading. I didn't think C***** was fleshed out as a character enough in our world--but then again, she was wearing someone else's face and memories. I thought Alex's family aversion was a little over the top, until I met them.

I really hope we get to see the integration of C*****'s folk into our defenses. ( )
  adamwolf | Oct 2, 2016 |

Charles Strossprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason? Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
--John Harington (16th century)
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures than swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs ... No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger ... Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.
--H. G. Wells, The War of the Worlds
In memory of Terry Pratchett, who showed us all how it's done
A vampire is haunting Whitby; it's traditional.

The Laundry Files’ “fast-paced blend of espionage thrills, mundane office comedy and Lovecraftian horror” (SFX) continues as Hugo Award-winning author Charles Stross assigns a day trader to a permanent position on the night shift...

After stumbling upon the algorithm that turned him and his fellow merchant bankers into vampires, Alex Schwartz was drafted by The Laundry, Britain’s secret counter-occult agency that’s humanity’s first line of defense against the forces of darkness. Dependent on his new employers for his continued existence—as Alex has no stomach for predatory bloodsucking—he has little choice but to accept his new role as an operative-in-training.

Dispatched to Leeds, Alex’s first assignment is to help assess the costs of renovating a 1950s Cold War bunker into The Laundry’s new headquarters. Unfortunately, Leeds is Alex’s hometown, and the thought of breaking the news to his parents that he’s left banking for civil service, while hiding his undead condition, is causing more anxiety than learning how to live as a vampire secret agent preparing to confront multiple apocalypses.

Alex’s only saving grace is Cassie Brewer, a drama student appearing in the local Goth Festival who is inexplicably attracted to him despite his awkward personality and massive amounts of sunblock.

But Cassie has secrets of her own—secrets that make Alex’s night life behaviors seem positively normal...

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 28 Oct 2015 18:01:18 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,044,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible