The Shadow Rising (1992)

by Robert Jordan

Series: The Wheel of Time (4)

The seals of Shayol Ghul are weak now, and the Dark One reaches out. The Shadow is rising to cover humankind. In Tar Valon, Min sees portents of hideous doom. Will the White Tower itself be broken? In the Two Rivers, the Whitecloaks ride in pursuit of a man with golden eyes, and in pursuit of the Dragon Reborn. In Cantorin, among the Sea Folk, High Lady Suroth plots the return of the Seanchan armies to the mainland. In the Stone of Tear, the Lord Dragon considers his next move. It will be something no one expects, not the Black Ajah, not Tairen nobles, not Aes Sedai, not Egwene or Elayne or Nynaeve. Against the Shadow rising stands the Dragon Reborn ...… (more)

This was a fun and entertaining continuation of the Wheel of Time books, although while we were reading it aloud, I may have pestered my husband to distraction trying to weasel out of him whether a particular character dies. =) ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
The characters are growing on me. I'm in for the long haul now. ( )
  rabbit-stew | Jun 26, 2022 |
Ágætis fantasía en dálítið langdregin. Jordan hefur búið til stóran hóp af persónum sem dreifast síðan um sagnaheiminn og sagan hoppar stöðugt á milli þeirra. Þessi aðferð hægir á framþróun sögunnar og hún verður því köflótt og slitrótt. Hins vegar er hann að fylla upp í lýsingar á veröldinni og maður verður bara að njóta lestursins án þess að gera sér nokkra von um að sagnabálkinum ljúki brátt af - enda entist honum ekki aldur til að klára hann.
Þetta er raunar sama umsögn og fyrir síðustu bók. Sé til hvað ég nenni að lesa þær áfram. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
4.5 rounded up. This is my favorite book in the series so far. The characters finally feel fully realized and distinct, though I hate how much of the series is “men and women are so different lol you’ll never understand the other ¯_(ツ)_/¯ “ ( )
  Sennie_V | Mar 22, 2022 |
I'm on a re-read though I only read through the first 7 books or so many years ago. The Shadow Rising is where Jordan starts pulling all the strings together. It's well-paced and great writing and the group splits again to go different ways. Perrin and Faile head for the Two Rivers and confrontations with the Shadowspawn, Rand and his party head for the Aiel, while Elayne and Nyneave chase the Black Ajah. It's a heckuva ride.
The only sections that dragged for me were those with Elayne and Nyneave. Up until now, I haven't minded their attitude that turns off so many readers but I was put off by their condescension and general know-it-all vibe, especially when they really didn't know what they were doing. It was a sharp contrast to how Perrin and Faile work together or how Rand makes decisions. Hopefully, they'll learn and adjust their attitudes in future books.
I was surprised at how much I liked Perrin and Faile's romance. I didn't remember it much and I've gone along with the general view that Jordan didn't write romance well, but I was wrong. It's a sweet slow burn and Perrin's letter to Faile...well, that and the rush off the battlefield moment just sealed them as a couple.
I'm very much enjoying this reread; I read these originally as they came out and didn't finish, but on to the next book. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Mar 20, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Contains

The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he who shall be born again. May the Light save us from him.

--from Commentaries on the Karaethon Cycle
Sereine dar Shamelle Motara
Counsel-Sister to Comaelle,
High Queen of Jaramide
(circa 325 AB, the Third Age)
And when the blood was sprinkled on ground where nothing could grow, the Children of the Dragon did spring up, the People of the Dragon, armed to dance with death. And he did call them forth from the wasted lands, and they did shake the world with battle.

--from The Wind of Time by Sulamein so Bhagad
Chief Historian at the Court of the Sun, the Fourth age
Dedicated to
Robert Marks

Writer, teacher, scholar, philosopher, friend and inspiration.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,685,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible