The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

The Shadow Rising (1992)

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (4)

I've been reading Leigh Butler's WOT Reread while reading these books, and it's added a lot of interesting insights to the experience. Happily, it hasn't lessened my appreciation of any of the books thus far. :) ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
In the fourth installment of Jordan’s The Wheel of Time, we fine Rand still in Tear. After his triumph and his fulfillment of the prophecy by take the Stone of Tear, Rand must decide what to do next. Rumor reaches him that his home of Two Rivers is under oppression by the Whitecloaks – but going there might place all in jeopardy. The Forsaken are looking for him and The White Tower has dubious motives. Danger and Death are at every turn. Rand, for all his youth, decides to forge his own path and does so with strength beyond his years.
With his notable and customary talent, Jordan sweeps the reader along a fast-paced journey. From Tar Valon to Tanchico, from the Two Rivers to the Aiel Wastes, we follow each of the main characters as they plunge into danger, fight against the growing darkness, and discover new friends and enemies. Jordan’s ability to weave new characters into the narrative, bring old ones back, and keep the reader invested is a testament to his talent.
An excellent continuation of the series and worth reading. ( )
  empress8411 | Jun 18, 2018 |
Review pending ( )
  leslie.98 | May 23, 2018 |
Completing my re-read of the fourth volume in Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series, I'm struck by the depth of character development. The youths of Emonds Field have all changed in the two years since they departed their village following the trolloc attack at Winternight. Late in the story, the chapter covering what I'll call The Battle of Emonds Field is perhaps some of the most well-written fiction I've ever read. Jordan excels at putting the reader in the minds of his characters, and this shines especially well in this chapter. Tolkein's weakness, in my opinion, was in his descriptions of battles. I often found myself confused as to what exactly was going on & skimming just to get through it. I never felt lost as Perrin was leading the Two Rivers folk in defense of the Green. The breadth of emotion that is covered, from the fear of failure in battle, the sorrow at those lost, the exuberance of victory & living to see another day, and finally reunion with Faile was amazing. I actually teared up twice while reading that chapter.

Its a shame that so many people are scared off from trying this series due to its immense length. Yes, it is a lot to bite off, but it is most rewarding to those who do. Like the SAS says, "Who Dares, Wins" ;) ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
See my review of Book One ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
I agree with you. This post is truly inspiring. I like your post and everything you share with us is

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Wheel of Time (Boxed Set #2) by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan (1-11) by Robert Jordan

Best of Robert Jordan: The Shadow Rising; The Fires of Heaven; Lord of Chaos; A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time Series) by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time, Books 1-11 and prequel "New Spring" by Robert Jordan

5 Titles By Robert Jordan Wheel of Time Series (1-5) : 1. The Eye of the World 2. The Great Hunt 3. The Dragon Reborn 4. by Robert Jordan

New Spring, Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan

Contains

The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he who shall be born again. May the Light save us from him.

--from Commentaries on the Karaethon Cycle
Sereine dar Shamelle Motara
Counsel-Sister to Comaelle,
High Queen of Jaramide
(circa 325 AB, the Third Age)
And when the blood was sprinkled on ground where nothing could grow, the Children of the Dragon did spring up, the People of the Dragon, armed to dance with death. And he did call them forth from the wasted lands, and they did shake the world with battle.

--from The Wind of Time by Sulamein so Bhagad
Chief Historian at the Court of the Sun, the Fourth age
Dedicated to
Robert Marks

Writer, teacher, scholar, philosopher, friend and inspiration.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513738, Mass Market Paperback)

Against the Shadow rising stands the Dragon Reborn.....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

The seals of Shayol Ghul are weak now, and the Dark One reaches out. The Shadow is rising to cover humankind. In Tar Valon, Min sees portents of hideous doom. Will the White Tower itself be broken? In the Two Rivers, the Whitecloaks ride in pursuit of a man with golden eyes, and in pursuit of the Dragon Reborn. In Cantorin, among the Sea Folk, High Lady Suroth plans the return of the Seanchan armies to the mainland. In the Stone of Tear, the Lord Dragon considers his next move. It will be something no one expects, not the Black Ajah, not Tairen nobles, not Aes Sedai, not Egwene or Elayne or Nynaeve. Against the Shadow rising stands the Dragon Reborn. The New York Times bestselling fourth book in the Wheel of Time series, now in mass market.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,685,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible