White Night

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (9)

Assigned to investigate the deaths of several magic practitioners, all of whom lacked the ability to become full-fledged wizards, professional Chicago wizard Harry Dresden is shocked when the evidence points to his half-brother Thomas as the killer.

English (121)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (123)
I've read this many times and pick up new things with each read. I enjoy the quick wit and fast pace. White Knight is one of my favorites. Jim Butcher builds a fight scene like a Mozart composes an opera. There is an opening theme, teases, flirts, complete chaos, and a resounding resolution. He keeps me coming back for more. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
The world keeps getting more and more dangerous. What started as a sort of silly urban fantasy detective noir books has steadily been getting more deep. I like it. ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
The Dresden Files are my go to book when I want something with a little supernatural, a little mystery, a little sass, and a lot of fun. In this installment he must team up with Elaine - a woman who he has a very heavy past with. She's in town to help a group of witches as they try to figure out who is slowing kill members of their order and making it look like suicides. In the midst of this he must also train his apprentice, contend with Bob - the talking skull -, ask for help from vampires and try to decide if his brother is involved in the killings. I'm getting close to being caught up - hoping to be there by the time Peace Talks comes out! A romp of a read! ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |
White Night is the ninth book in the Dresden Files and I really enjoyed reading this one. Harry must again use his wits and powers, as well as team up with some friends and enemies, to take down bigger and badder enemies. The overall plot to the series moved along nicely, his mentor relationship was also given space, as well as Thomas' secrets from the previous book was revealed. This was a very enjoyable book and I'm looking forward to the next one. ( )
  fantasyaddict | Nov 28, 2021 |
Last chapter and author's notes at the end bumped up this book rating to 3.5 -- I liked it!
Butcher is a good writer. However, I find myself annoyed by phrasing such as "fairly pretty girls." ( )
  bardbooks | Nov 11, 2021 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the newest members of the family, Jesse and Dara
For the newest members of the family,
Jesse and Dara
Many things are not as they seem: The worst things in life never are.
Many things are not as they seem: The worst things in life never are.
. . . age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good.
Bigots see something they expect and then they stop thinking about what is in front of them . . . It's probably how they got to be bigots in the first place.
Everyone is down on pain, because they forget something important about it: Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it.
Life's easier when you can write off others as monsters, as demons, as horrible threats that must be hated and feared. The thing is, you can't do that without becoming them, just a little.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,659,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible