Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World (2016)

by Cal Newport

"One of the most valuable skills in our economy is becoming increasingly rare. If you master this skill, you'll achieve extraordinary results. Deep work is the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task. It's a skill that allows you to quickly master complicated information and produce better results in less time. Deep work will make you better at what you do and provide the sense of true fulfillment that comes from craftsmanship. In short, deep work is like a super power in our increasingly competitive twenty-first century economy. And yet, most people have lost the ability to go deep-spending their days instead in a frantic blur of e-mail and social media, not even realizing there's a better way. In DEEP WORK, author and professor Cal Newport flips the narrative on impact in a connected age. Instead of arguing distraction is bad, he instead celebrates the power of its opposite. Dividing this book into two parts, he first makes the case that in almost any profession, cultivating a deep work ethic will produce massive benefits. He then presents a rigorous training regimen, presented as a series of four "rules," for transforming your mind and habits to support this skill. A mix of cultural criticism and actionable advice, DEEP WORK takes the reader on a journey through memorable stories-from Carl Jung building a stone tower in the woods to focus his mind, to a social media pioneer buying a round-trip business class ticket to Tokyo to write a book free from distraction in the air-and no-nonsense advice, such as the claim that most serious professionals should quit social media and that you should practice being bored. DEEP WORK is an indispensable guide to anyone seeking focused success in a distracted world"--… (more)
    Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Deep Work relies in fact quite heavily on GTD. I believe GTD must be a quite important component of the Deep Work practice if it has to be successfully implemented.

This was a really useful read to me. It confirmed some thoughts and behaviors for me and made me think about some others it may be worth adopting as I try to balance a sometimes frenetic set of duties in my current job with a need for time to do more focused thinking. I've written a slightly more in-depth set of notes on the book here. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
I loved this book! So much good information. You can read about my lessons learned from this book here: https://captivatedbycuriosity.com/category/deep-work/ ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
Very refreshing view on modern work.

Notes here: https://berezovskyi.me/2017/01/deep-work-notes/ ( )
  berezovskyi | Dec 19, 2020 |
I got to Deep Work too late in the game. It is fascinating how many of Cal's ideas have permeated our work culture in a short four years. The book is convincing, and it is easy to see how these practical changes could lead to significant results. I have had some fantastic bouts of deep work since finishing the book. Though, I would be curious to know the longevity of the book's effects on its readers. I'll have to check back in a few months to see if the positive impacts still linger. ( )
  eljay12 | Dec 13, 2020 |
I read this a few years back and remember not loving it. But these days I'm definitely lacking deep work and am trying to accomplish harder things, and figured I should give it another go. It's still not an amazing book, but it's inspiring and well written and you could do worse than reading it. ( )
  isovector | Dec 13, 2020 |
In the Swiss canton of St. Gallen, near the northern banks of Lake Zurich, is a village named Bollingen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,835,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible