Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity (2001)

by David Allen

10,856169505 (4.02)1 / 64
Veteran coach and management consultant Allen shares the breakthrough methods for stress-free performance that he has introduced to thousands. He shows how to assess goals, relax, and stay focused.
Recently added byemalasquez, GertMalan, vbak, erinkegel, private library, nicolethedesigner, mcwooff, vmjanis1200, Concise-Racoon, Pxan02
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Process Mapping, Process Improvement, and Process Management by Dan Madison (BogAl)
    BogAl: You know what to do. Now, figure out how to to it.

English (159)  French (2)  German (2)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (168)
A diferencia de los dos libros anteriores sobre productividad que he leído, dedicados al Pomodoro, este es un texto bastante complicado sobre una forma de organizarte la vida que, una vez implementada, aparenta ser ideal para alguien con TOC como yo pero, a priori, da muchísima pereza ponerse a ello porque requiere de una motivación de la que yo carezco la mayor parte del tiempo.

El libro es bastante útil si eres una persona tremendamente ocupada, un ejecutivo de una empresa sin tiempo para hacer todo o un programador loco; en toda su longitud no deja de darte pistas sobre cómo organizar mejor tu cabeza para que las cosas vayan saliendo de forma correcta y, lo más importante, sin estrés asociado. Sin embargo, si solo eres un asalariado con un trabajo de bajo nivel en horario continuo como yo, mucho tienes que complicarte la vida para que se note la diferencia al aplicar este método.

En cuanto al libro en sí, la maquetación del formato Kindle es un poco extraña, me gustaría compararla con la del impreso para ver a qué se debe; al menos no está lo suficientemente mal como para que sea incómodo de leer, pero creo que no termina de aprovechar bien las características del formato digital. ( )
  tecniferio | May 12, 2022 |
Very detailed breakdown of how to organize and manage your work and energy using the GTD method. Including how to collect all your "stuff", decide what to prioritize,, delegate and thrash etc., how to plan and manage real-time changes. Would've been much better if the author presented everything with visual workflows and diagrams, as it's otherwise hard to read.

Learn the ultimate workflow to clear your head, get more done, and feel energized!
Getting Things Done (GTD) outlines a detailed workflow that allows you to have your cake and eat it – to be more relaxed, energized, yet accomplish more with less effort. By getting “in the zone” and operating with a “mind like water”, you can now handle an overwhelming number of tasks with relaxed control. You'll learn:
• How to setup your workflow to clear your head, process and organize your work most effectively.
• How to review your work at different levels
• The powerful decision-making frameworks to make effective moment-to-moment, day-to-day and strategic decisions

Book summary at: https://readingraphics.com/book-summary-getting-things-done/ ( )
  AngelaLamHF | Mar 23, 2022 |
Definitely a classic in the productivity field for a reason, but the version I read hasn't been updated in a loooong time and it shows. I think a lot of the tips Allen offers in this book are timeless, but many of the sections dealing with paper (I think I have one 'paper' think I need to file per month if that) and contexts (at your computer, etc.) seem out of date in a world where I can have my email, a phone, the internet, etc. at the tip of my fingers at all times. That said, I still found the portions dealing with the next action item valuable enough to give four stars. ( )
  Jthierer | Feb 12, 2021 |
While the a lot of advice of this book probably can be applied to any lifestyle, I'd be interested to know if David Allen has done any work with underprivileged clients. All the examples in the book are executives. It would be nice to read stories of the system working for someone that doesn't have an ivy league education or a high paying corporate job. I would probably have rated this higher if there was at least one example of this system helping someone get out of a minimum wage job or out of a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle. ( )
  SMagill723 | Jan 7, 2021 |
My boss is so much a fan of this book that she gave it to me free this month. She reads it every year in pursuit of further mastery of her work and life. Although the obvious application is to the realm of employment, Allen’s approach is applicable to one’s personal/private life and even to stay-at-home parents. It’s about keeping the “projects” in one’s life moving forward without causing stress.

Allen’s system runs off on moving things onto whatever is next. He suggests that one keep an external set of notes about each project so that one can quickly be reminded of the next action to take. In this updated edition, he cites research findings of cognitive science to bolster his case that the mind functions poorly at memory. Remembering is what the external notes are for. The brain, then, can focus on organizing and creatively adapting for the future.

He also addresses organizational systems to process thoughts. He suggests having one big “In box” and processing whatever comes in each day according to a set scheme. Quick (requiring less than two-minutes) tasks should be handled immediately while other tasks can be planned. This system might seem overwhelming at first, but having a boss who uses it, I can attest that it enhances productivity immensely.

I do not and will not follow this book’s recommendations in every jot-and-tittle. Instead, I seek to apply its deeper organizing principles to my work and life. For example, I do not plan to make a physical inbox; instead, I have implemented something similar in a list of several post-it notes that I round on daily. The post-it notes keep track of all incoming information, and I cross off items as I organize them into my system. This looser approach of building a personal system allows me not to feel that Allen’s approach would take over my life. Nonetheless, my approach is fundamentally compatible with Allen’s.

Again, this book has obvious implications for those in the world of work. However, it has broader reach into the world of anyone dealing with knowledge. It simply enhances the skill of organization to the individual, whether that be a student, a stay-at-home mom, a teacher, or a researcher. Be forewarned that this book skims on the motivational and inspirational stories in favor of the nuts-and-bolts of how to implement the system. It can be intense at times, but one need not implement the entire system at once in order to see significant benefits. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the results in my daily labor. ( )
  scottjpearson | Dec 28, 2020 |
It is simply the best personal productivity book I’ve ever read, and there’s material in this book that can apply to anyone’s life, whether you’re a manager or a writer or a professional or a stay-at-home parent.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Simple Dollar, Trent (May 6, 2007)

David Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fallows, JamesForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kathryn, my extraordinary partner in life and work

Votre efficacité est directement liée à votre capacitéde vous détendre . Ce livre va transformer radicalement votre manière de vivre et de travailler.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,038,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible