Chaos Choreography by Seanan McGuire

Chaos Choreography (2016)

by Seanan McGuire

2081179,699 (4.09)9

Verity has changed her life dramatically recently. She’s married Dominic, a former member of the Order of St George, which was definitely a surprise (though a family tradition). And she has finally made her decision to follow the family business of crypto-zoology rather than pursuing her career in dance.

At least until the producer of the dancing reality TV show she almost won calls her asking her to come back for a very special season. It’s a last chance at her dancing dream, one last chance to see if this is really what she wants… and one last opportunity she cannot turn down

Except when her fellow contestants turn up dead - and it looks like woo-woo and cryptids may be involved.

Hail! Hail the return of the Arboreal Priestess!

It’s been a long time since we saw Verity and I agonised for a little while about whether I wanted to see more of the rest of the family or welcomed the return of Verity. I know, I’m awkward because I lamented moving from Verity in the first place- and then I discovered Alex, The God of Scales and Silence and much preferred his storyline

But at the same time I love that we are returning to Verity. One element of series with shifting protagonists I’m not a great fan of is we tend to forget the older characters. They just vanish or fade into the background - characters which were once compelling enough for entire books are now seemingly reduced to irrelevance. So I love that we have established this precedence, I love that we can revisit these characters and that no-one with be forgotten. More series really need to take a lesson from this

And despite liking Alex’s story - that doesn’t mean I don’t love Verity, I do. And I especially love how this book is coming back to one of the main conflicts of Verity’s story that wasn’t entirely finished was her conflict over whether she wanted to dance or follow the family business. I mean she made her decision, but it felt vaguely like the decision was forced on her. And that’s not bad - sometimes circumstances over take her dream, but it was nice to see that her passion, her dream hadn’t completely left her and it was important to her to revisit it. I really liked how this was done, seeing her connect to old friends, having her both see the things she loved so much about dance but also seeing them with a new light and, perhaps, with less nostalgia. I really really liked the many excellent, subtle ways

I was a little disappointed by Alice, the Noisy Princesses; mainly because my expectations were so high having heard so much about her but the focus was very much on Verity so her terrifyingness was not the focus. Which was probably the best way to go and she did bring so much of her character with just lots of hints and references which was restrained and excellently done

I’ve mentioned a couple of times that I prefer Alex’s story to Verity - but this is nothing to do with Alex or Verity - it’s to do with Dominic. I find Verity’s husband to be… bland? Who is he? What interests him? What is he doing with his life other than being Verity’s husband? Does he have hobbies? Ambitions? Plans? What conflicts is he experiencing given his huge shift of opinions from being a member of the Order? He just seems… hollow.. Especially next to the excellent characters that are already in this book.

The world building, as ever, remains excellent with a whole lot of research, supernatural creatures and the excellent blend of science and mythology working so well which makes this series so unique and so awesome. Even if it needed more Aislinn Mice (hail! Everything needs more Aislinn mice). Honestly I could write many many paragraphs of how awesome this world building is, but I’ve already said repeatedly in the last 4 books because it is just that awesome. I love it so much I really cannot praise it enough - the different cultures, the way they interact how inhuman some of them are, it really works.

Read More ( )
1 vote FangsfortheFantasy | Nov 23, 2017 |
Another fun entry into the Incryptid world, but now we have Verity back and we get Alice for the first time in a full length novel! I loved Alice, I loved the hints and drops at how she 'gets around' and does her business. The characters for this one drove it forward. I'm shocked to say I think I was more attached to her brother than to Verity by this point so I was missing him throughout this. Overall though, very fun entry. ( )
  Adilinaria | Aug 11, 2017 |
Verity (or rather, Valorie) is invited to participate in a reunion season of Dance or Die, the reality show that made her a minor celebrity a few years ago. Of course, weird things start happening.

Great characters, great worldbuilding, lots of humor, and fast-paced and slightly twisty plot. I didn't find the reality show setting particularly interesting, so I think this will never be my favorite book in the series. Still a fun read, though!
  bluesalamanders | Jan 16, 2017 |
Nice! It's Vicky again - though she spends a good part of her time being Valerie, as the reality dancing show she was on before calls her back. We get to see her and Dominic as they work out the details of their new marriage and how it meshes with their relationship as partners in dealing with cryptids. Because of course it turns out that the reunion show is a cover for some very nasty business - another snake cult, considerably more with-it and dangerous than the one in the short story. Alice Healy-Price shows up, too - fascinating to see her, when she's been described and referenced so often in the series. Dragon princesses, a chupacabra, a Ukupani (shark shifter), a route-witch - lots of interesting cryptids and magic folk. The revealing at the end had some serious surprises and some serious not-surprises in it (of _course_ that one was in it. But the other two, and the relationships involved...). A lovely addition to the series. And an interesting development at the end...have to see if the Covenant takes her up on the challenge! ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 1, 2016 |
At first I had a hard time getting into the book. The others in this series just don't speak to me. Verity gets to lay her Valerie persona to rest by going back to Dance or Die. Then she finds out that contestants are actually coming up dead after being eliminated on the show. There's a snake cult and she has to find them before more die. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Jul 21, 2016 |
For Will, who has felt the sting of reality television and lived to tell the tale.
"When we took the stage at the start of this season, twenty dancers stood before you, ready to dazzle you with their talent, strength, and personalities."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 075640813X, Mass Market Paperback)

More information to be announced soon on this forthcoming title from Penguin USA.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 19 Nov 2015 13:36:55 -0500)

Verity Price thought her dancing days were behind her, but when she is offered another shot on the popular reality show, Dance or Die, she takes off for L.A. with Dominic in tow. But when two contestants wind up dead, it is up to Verity to figure out the killer?s next step. DAW fantasy series, (Original), 368pp.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,049,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible