The Hammer of Thor

by Rick Riordan

Series: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard (2), Riordan's Demi-Gods (4.2)

"Thor's hammer is missing again. The thunder god has a disturbing habit of misplacing his weapon--the mightiest force in the Nine Worlds. But this time the hammer isn't just lost, it has fallen into enemy hands. If Magnus Chase and his friends can't retrieve the hammer quickly, the mortal worlds will be defenseless against an onslaught of giants. Ragnarok will begin. The Nine Worlds will burn. Unfortunately, the only person who can broker a deal for the hammer's return is the gods' worst enemy, Loki--and the price he wants is very high. Magnus Chase, a homeless boy living in Boston, finds out he is the son of a Norse god."--… (more)

Ese sonido entre chillido de rata y Gato atacando ha sido bastante interesante.

And yes, IT IS TIME! (!!!!!) ( )
  Ella_Zegarra | Jan 18, 2022 |
Really enjoyed this book. Riordan is really good at coming up with just the sort of funny yet emotional story that Im into and this book was no exception. Wasnt as into the plot as with the previous book, but it was still interesting and fun to read. Im not as familiar with the mythology in this book as I am with the Percy Jackson series but I dont think that took away much from my understanding of what was happening.

This book had some really good reflections on family and dealing with negative emotions and situations which I really appreciated. It also has one of the few genderfluid characters in YA lit and sets the stage for more LGBTQ diversity in the series. Looking forward to reading the rest of the Magnus Chase books even as I age farther and farther from the intended demographic. :p ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
Totally Unfair! You can not just add that its time for Magnus and Percy to meet and end the book just as I've decided to wait to get the next book. Other than that really good book, I really like the new character Alex. ( )
  Kat_books | Nov 9, 2021 |
the way in which Mr. Riordan has addressed gender fluidity is truly amazing.I hope to see more of Alex and Magnus. More importantly I am excited to see Percabeth again!!! ( )
  VipashaAiyer | Sep 28, 2021 |
I did not like the Magnus Chase series as much as I liked the Percy Jackson one but I liked it far more than the Kane Chronicles. I really enjoyed learning about Norse Mythology because it is not a subject I had much prior knowledge of. I thought the story was great and the mythology blended in really well. I also liked how there was a non-binary character in the story which is rare to see in children's literature. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
In the second adventure of Magnus Chase series, the fate of the 9 worlds depends on a misfit band of Norse supernaturals...again... Together they take on another impossible mission to stop Loki from triggering Ragnarock, which is pretty much the end of the universe.

Riordan has done a good job of creating character diversity and challenging traditional stereotypes. Magnus Chase himself was a homeless teenager, his friend Samira is a middle eastern Valkyrie, Hearthstone is a deaf and mute elf, Blitzen the dwarf would rather sew fine clothes than blacksmith and craft like his kinsmen, and a new character named Alex identifies as gender fluid.

The story itself is totally original and unlike anything I've ever read. The series makes fun of the Norse gods and makes them just plain weird. Even with the teenage humor, it is obvious a lot of research went into creating the world of Magnus Chase. There are a lot of Norse characters and lore that I had not heard of which is refreshing in the age of Marvel's superheroes (hunky Thor and company).

This is definitely a high school & young-adult fantasy series. As I stated in my review of the first book, Sword of Summer, I may have liked this more if I was a teenager. As always, happy reading! 📚

Riordan, RickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To J. J. R. Tolkien,
who opened up the world of Norse mythology for me
LESSON LEARNED: If you take a Valkyrie out for coffee, you'll get stuck with the check and a dead body.

AR Level 5.1, 17 Points.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,088,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible