The Sword of Summer (2015)

by Rick Riordan

Series: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard (1), Riordan's Demi-Gods (4.1)

"Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother's mysterious death, he's lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers. One day, he's tracked down by an uncle he barely knows-a man his mother claimed was dangerous. Uncle Randolph tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god. The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years. When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision. Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die ..."--Publisher.… (more)
Recently added byZoelynn, anasofal, levan24, LordnSaviour, private library, Rennie80, gluegun, ekstewartnh

What a great hook for each chapter! If it doesn't kids attention, it always grabs mine. The pacing is great and keeps readers wanting more. I could hardly put it down. It also gave me a glimpse into Norse mythology. I need to learn more about this subject. ( )
  GlenRH | Jul 26, 2021 |
So here is the good news: Riordan is back on his game (way better than the Kane Chronicles), with a new character very much like Percy Jackson, but the bad news is it is awfully similar. Homeless orphan Magnus Chase is about to turn 16, when he decides to intervene with a Norse fire god's plan to wreak havoc in Boston and the worlds generally. Magnus assembles an oddball assortment of friends (think Tolkien's LOTR), and sets out to avoid the end of the worlds even though he thinks he is just an ordinary kid, down on his luck. Kudos to Riordan for being brave to make the leading female character a Muslim. We get an intro to Norse mythology too. Of course, there are many near death experiences, and I especially liked the dueling competition of dwarfs.

More kudos to Riordan for outing Taylor Swift as a dwarf. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Was a fun book to listen to with my son. The narrator wasn't great but we still enjoyed the story and will probably continue with the series. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
hb ( )
  5083mitzi | Mar 22, 2021 |
This was a fun read, I liked being able to read this with my entire family ( )
  Emma.June.Lyon | Feb 23, 2021 |
A demigod teenager, a dwarf with fashion sense, a deaf elf, and a middle eastern Valkyrie walk into a bar... Okay, they didn't walk into a bar until later but they have had some ridiculous adventures while trying to stop Ragnarok from happening. The Magnus Chase series is a spinoff of Rick Riorden's Percy Jackson series. The difference is that Percy Jackson is embroiled with the Greek gods and Magnus Chase has been pulled into the world of the Norse gods.

I really didn't care for the narrator for this audiobook. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I think it's because he sounds like he's trying too hard. He voices the teenage main character and females at the same high pitch. He tries to make all the other male characters have deep voices and it comes out exactly like a woman that's joking around trying to imitate a deep male voice. I had a hard time looking past all that to enjoy the story.

As for the story, all I can say is what the crap?! It is completely absurd and insane which is off-putting but also what keeps you wanting to know what is going to happen next. The world building is the strangest I've ever encountered. Weird doesn't begin to describe it so you will just have to see what I mean for yourself.

I only gave it 3 stars because of the narrator and how it makes fun of and twists the character of the gods. I can see this being very entertaining for young adults but not so much for us stuffy grown-ups 😉 Happy reading! 📚

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Serval, Nathaliesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SJI AssociatesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thuresson, Annasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Cassandra Clare
Thanks for letting me share the excellent name Magnus
Yea, I know.
Odin announced ... "I hung from the World Tree for nine days and nights, racked with pain, in order to discover the secret of runes. I stood in line in a blizzard for six days to discover the sorcery of the smartphone." (475)

AR Level 4.8, 18 Points.
Boston frames the Norse

world of gods and men, plus a

witty talking sword.

(legallypuzzled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,497,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible