Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Homegoing

by Yaa Gyasi

Recently added byluzie, scotloth, LindaEdwards, private library, simplyjennifer, calm, zisnaf, rena75, mollyjoreads

English (127)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (130)
I thought this was quite good and the idea unique but shelost me about 2/3rd of the way through. With so many characters, I never got deeply involved enough to care and I began to resent the machinations it took to get the two final characters together. Plus, it didn't to need tick every bloody box - magical realism fire lady, heirloom necklace, Harlem junkie, crazy mother, - it was exhausting.

Still a very VERY valiant effort and I'd give it another half star if I could. I will also read whatever Gyasi next writes. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 30, 2018 |
This book is easily a 5 star book! I was engrossed from the very beginning. I could not put the book down. I'm so happy with the ending! I was hoping that she would end that way, but I will not spoil for the people who have yet to read it. This is definitely a must-read for anyone who enjoys a good story! I actually learned things about slavery and "free slaves" in America that I never knew before. I could read this book again right now! I'm recommending it to anyone I see and talk to! ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
A very well-conceived and well-written novel. Honest and beautiful. Thank you, Yaa Gyasi! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
An important book that we all need to read. Sweeping in scope, spanning two continents and two hundred years, Gyasi explores slavery, blackness, identity, roots, belonging, what it means to be black in Ghana and in America. She takes the journey through glimpses into the lives of each generation of the same family on two continents - their struggle for survival and against the cruel and dehumanizing power of the white man.

She sums up her mission in the last chapter with Marcus's thoughts:
"What he wanted to capture with his project was the feeling of time, of having been part of something that stretched so far back, was so impossibly large, that it was easy to forget that she, and he, and everyone else, existed in it - not apart from it, but inside of it."

The voices and experiences in this book are important andd often gut wrenching. Yet the format does not allow deep immersion in each. This is not really a novel, but more a series of short stories connected through ancestry and similar experiences. We see each family member for a short story, in which she crams into full family histories of each, not leaving room to explore the characters and connect with them. This, coupled with the pretty basic, narrative-driven writing, leads to staying on the surface, not experiencing anyone's story with their full impact.

Overall, an amazing debut and incredible stories, but it felt rushed and disjointed. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
A book you want to re-read as soon as you've finished, it reads like a series of interconnected short stories, each chapter taking you to a different generation or a different continent. Each character is crafted with exquisite precision as the novel takes you on a journey through the horrors of history to the reality of where that journey leads. ( )
  booksonshelves | Oct 27, 2018 |
The family is like the forest:if you are outside it is dense: if you are inside you see that each tree has its own position. - AKAN PROVERB
For my parents and for my brothers
The night Effia Otcher was born into the musky heat of Fanteland, a fire raged through the woods just outside her father's compound.
We believe the one who has the power. He is the one who gets to write the story. So when you study history, you must always ask yourself, Whose story am I missing? Whose voice was suppressed so that this voice could come forth. Once you have figured that out, you must find that story too. From there, you begin to get a clearer, yet still imperfect picture.

amazon ca :A novel of breathtaking sweep and emotional power that traces three hundred years in Ghana and along the way also becomes a truly great American novel. Extraordinary for its exquisite language, its implacable sorrow, its soaring beauty, and for its monumental portrait of the forces that shape families and nations, Homegoing heralds the arrival of a major new voice in contemporary fiction.

Two half-sisters, Effia and Esi, are born into different villages in eighteenth-century Ghana. Effia is married off to an Englishman and lives in comfort in the palatial rooms of Cape Coast Castle. Unbeknownst to Effia, her sister, Esi, is imprisoned beneath her in the castle’s dungeons, sold with thousands of others into the Gold Coast’s booming slave trade, and shipped off to America, where her children and grandchildren will be raised in slavery. One thread of Homegoing follows Effia’s descendants through centuries of warfare in Ghana, as the Fante and Asante nations wrestle with the slave trade and British colonization. The other thread follows Esi and her children into America. From the plantations of the South to the Civil War and the Great Migration, from the coal mines of Pratt City, Alabama, to the jazz clubs and dope houses of twentieth-century Harlem, right up through the present day, Homegoing makes history visceral, and captures, with singular and stunning immediacy, how the memory of captivity came to be inscribed in the soul of a nation.

Generation after generation, Yaa Gyasi’s magisterial first novel sets the fate of the individual against the obliterating movements of time, delivering unforgettable characters whose lives were shaped by historical forces beyond their control. Homegoing is a tremendous reading experience, not to be missed, by an astonishingly gifted young writer.

"Two half sisters, Effia and Esi, unknown to each other, are born into two different tribal villages in 18th century Ghana. Effia will be married off to an English colonial, and will live in comfort in the sprawling, palatial rooms of Cape Coast Castle, raising half-caste children who will be sent abroad to be educated in England before returning to the Gold Coast to serve as administrators of the Empire. Her sister, Esi, will be imprisoned beneath Effia in the Castle's women's dungeon, and then shipped off on a boat bound for America, where she will be sold into slavery. Stretching from the tribal wars of Ghana to slavery and Civil War in America, from the coal mines in the north to the Great Migration to the streets of 20th century Harlem, Yaa Gyasi's has written a modern masterpiece, a novel that moves through histories and geographies and--with outstanding economy and force--captures the troubled spirit of our own nation"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,799,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible