The Cay (1969)

by Theodore Taylor

Series: The Cay (1)

When the freighter on which they are traveling is torpedoed by a German submarine during World War II, an adolescent white boy, blinded by a blow on the head, and an old black man are stranded on a tiny Caribbean island where the boy acquires a new kind of vision, courage, and love from his old companion.… (more)
Recently added byshananana07, private library, childsplaycj, JackieMacias, EmilyRyan, gledbetter1, MCA_Library

Overall this book was interesting. Not something I normally read but not bad. I enjoyed reading Timothy's vernacular and all of the Stew Cat parts but I didn't like the main character and I didn't really feel engaged in the novel. ( )
  HeidiSV | Apr 22, 2022 |
Twelve-year-old white boy and a black man find understanding after being on an island together.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 26, 2021 |
This is one of the few books I read as a child, and I remember being enthralled. ( )
  ekerstein | Sep 29, 2021 |
Review on my Wrap Up Vlog
https://youtu.be/OOcKZ5f0UWc ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
As an adult, I thought this was a really good book. However, it was given to me when I was young and I tried several times to read it and couldn't get far enough in to get hooked. I think maybe I just didn't know enough about Europe and the war to be able to picture and understand what was happening. If my husband had read it at the same age, he probably would not have had that problem! ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
Mary Purucker (KLIATT Review, July 2005 (Vol. 39, No. 4))
Twelve-year-old Philip's ordeal as a castaway after the ship he was on was torpedoed in 1942 has never lost its appeal as a strong survival tale with two strong characters. When German submarines increase their activity off the coast of Venezuela, Philip's mother insists that the two of them leave the island of Curacao where his father works for an oil refinery, but she refuses to fly and they take passage on a ship. Not many days go by before they are blown out of the water and Philip finds himself on a raft with a gigantic elderly black man and the ship's cat. His mother's prejudices at first make him uncomfortable with Timothy, but he learns to love and respect him. Suffering from a severe blow to his head, in a few days Philip becomes totally blind and totally dependent on Timothy. When they finally land on a small island, a cay, Timothy teaches him the skills to survive even if he is left alone. Michael Boatman narrates in a straightforward way, easily giving Phillip a slight Southern accent and Timothy's voice a West Indian flavor. The pacing and timing are perfect as the pair battle the elements, get to know each other, and prepare for potential rescue. Category: Fiction Audiobooks. KLIATT Codes: J*--Exceptional book, recommended for junior high school students. 2005 (orig. 1969), Listening Library, 3 cds. 3 hrs.; Vinyl; plot, author, reader notes., $30.00. Ages 12 to 15.

added by kthomp25 | editKLIATT Review, Mary Purucker

To Dr. King's dream, which can only come true if the very young know and understand it.
Like silent, hungry sharks that swim in the darkness of the sea, the German submarines arrived in the middle of the night.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,658,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible