Island of the Blue Dolphins (1960)

by Scott O'Dell

Series: Island of the Blue Dolphins (1)

15,603288287 (3.89)1 / 349
Left alone on a beautiful but isolated island off the coast of California, a young Indian girl spends eighteen years, not only merely surviving through her enormous courage and self-reliance, but also finding a measure of happiness in her solitary life.
    Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George (gilberts)
    Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (snapdragongirl)
    snapdragongirl: Hatchet is also a survivalist book for young adults. It is about a boy who crash lands in a forest. His only tool is a hatchet.
    My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (changsbooks)
    Zia by Scott O'Dell (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Zia is the sequel to Island of the Blue Dolphins
    The Cay by Theodore Taylor (bookymouse)
    A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer (foggidawn)
    A Wild Thing by Jean Renvoize (weener)
    weener: These are both excellent tales of young women surviving on their own who find a measure of peace in their solitude.
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (changsbooks)
    Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (wordcauldron)
    Phoenix Rising by Karen Hesse (wordcauldron)
    The Iceberg Hermit (Point) by Arthur Roth (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Same concept, except with a boy, a polar bear, and an "island" of ice.

English (285)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (288)
I remember reading this book several times as a child and being absolutely fascinated by it! It’s such a great book! ( )
  natmo | Jun 1, 2022 |
Island of the Blue Dolphins was inspired by the true story of Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island. It is a highly-fictionalized account of her survival alone on the island. While the story weaves in a handful of known elements, it takes liberties with some of the facts in order to create a story that is appropriate for and appeals to the young. Reading further on the topic from multiple sources is highly recommended as there is much in the way of contradictory information about the events, and the book deviates far too much to be taken as history on any level.

Regardless of accuracy, it is still a story with great appeal for young readers. It was the first assigned book I remember rereading repeatedly. In particular, it suited me as an only child and an animal lover. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Mar 4, 2022 |
O'Dell tells an interesting story, and I think part of the reason I didn't enjoy the story is the amount I would have struggled if I had been in the main characters place. Parts of the story were slow, but other parts were extremely action packed, I guess it's a good reflection of how life really can be sometimes. Definitely a great descriptive picture into a world we are not often exposed to. ( )
  LectricLibrary | Feb 16, 2022 |
I had heard of Island of the Blue Dolphins but had never been interested in reading it until I visited one of the California Channel Island. The story is set on San Nicolas Island, the most remote of the eight Channel Islands of California. The narrator is a girl who was left behind when her whole tribe were taken off the island by the Spanish after Russian and Aleut fur trappers had attacked their village and killed most of the men. In a story like Robinson Crusoe she tells how she survived alone for years while she waited for a chance to join the rest of her tribe on the mainland at Santa Barbara. She is supposed to be buried in the cemetery at the Santa Barbara Mission. She was lonely on the island but when she got to the mission there was nobody from her tribe who spoke her language left there. A sad story. ( )
  MMc009 | Jan 30, 2022 |
Very interesting introduction and archaeological essay and footnotes to lend context and added knowledge to a book I loved but did not think critically about as a child. Would rec ( )
  Monj | Jan 7, 2022 |
Based on actual events, this is an adventure story of an Indian girl living on the island of San Nicolas off the California coast. With her adaptability and resilience, she survived alone on the island for eighteen years. Some cultural information on island lifeways is included. Illustrated with twelve full-page watercolors.

Convincing and beautifully written. A fact-based tale...it manages to have warmth and suspense.
added by ArrowStead | editSaturday Review

Years of research must have gone into this book to turn historical fact into so moving and lasting an experience.
added by ArrowStead | editHorn Book

Gillian
and Felicity
and to Eric, Cherie
and Twinkle
I remember the day the Aleut ship came to our island.
Please do not combine the original book with "and related readings".

Available online at The Internet Archive:

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,687,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible