Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Island of the Blue Dolphins (1960)

by Scott O'Dell

Series: Island of the Blue Dolphins (1)

Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George (gilberts)
    Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (snapdragongirl)
    snapdragongirl: Hatchet is also a survivalist book for young adults. It is about a boy who crash lands in a forest. His only tool is a hatchet.
    My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (changsbooks)
    Zia by Scott O'Dell (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Zia is the sequel to Island of the Blue Dolphins
    The Cay by Theodore Taylor (bookymouse)
    A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer (foggidawn)
    A Wild Thing by Jean Renvoize (weener)
    weener: These are both excellent tales of young women surviving on their own who find a measure of peace in their solitude.
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (changsbooks)
    Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (wordcauldron)
    Phoenix Rising by Karen Hesse (wordcauldron)
    The Iceberg Hermit (Point) by Arthur Roth (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Same concept, except with a boy, a polar bear, and an "island" of ice.

English (264)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (266)
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 20, 2019 |
This book follows Karana, as she survives alone on an island. She volunteered to stay behind when her brother got left after her people were rescued from this Island. She makes friends with injured animals and nurses them back to health. When she is rescued, she takes all her friends with her. This is a good survival book as well as a book about other cultures. ( )
  Mek023 | Feb 17, 2019 |
Island of the Blue Dolphins is about a young girl who is faced with the challenge of surviving on an island after the Aleut hunters killed many men in their tribe. This causes the other people on her island to leave in search of a new beginning. Karana finds herself to be strong and capable of surviving many situations. As time passes she becomes the caretaker of many animals on the island. This companionship makes being alone somewhat more bareable. ( )
  cherzog | Jan 14, 2019 |
Island of the blue dolphins tells the story of a woman who got left on an island by accident. She lives alone for years and years and survives by teaching herself survival skills. This is a good book for students to summarize, or make a presentation about the woman who lived on an island alone. ( )
  KarenGarcia | Nov 26, 2018 |
Sadder than I remembered. ( )
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
Based on actual events, this is an adventure story of an Indian girl living on the island of San Nicolas off the California coast. With her adaptability and resilience, she survived alone on the island for eighteen years. Some cultural information on island lifeways is included. Illustrated with twelve full-page watercolors.

Scott O'Dellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gillian
and Felicity
and to Eric, Cherie
and Twinkle
I remember the day the Aleut ship came to our island.
Please do not combine the original book with "and related readings".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440439884, Paperback)

Product Description
The Newberry Medal-winning story of a 12-year old girl who lives alone on a Pacific island after she leaps from a rescue ship. Isolated on the island for eighteen years, Karana forages for food, builds weapons to fight predators, clothes herself in a cormorant feathered skirt, and finds strength and peace in her seclusion. A classic tale of discovery and solitude returns to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for its 50th anniversary, with a new introduction by Lois Lowry.

Amazon Exclusive: A Letter from Lois Lowry on Writing the Introduction to Island of the Blue Dolphins, 50th Anniversary Edition

Dear Amazon readers,

Last summer, when I was asked to write an introduction to a new edition of Island of the Blue Dolphins, my mind went back in time to the 1960s, when my children were young and it was one of their best-loved books.

But a later memory surfaced, as well, of a party I was invited to in the summer of 1979. By now the kids were grown. I was in New York to attend a convention of the American Library Association, and Scott O'Dell's publisher, Houghton Mifflin, was honoring him at a reception being held at the St. Regis Hotel. I had never met Mr. O'Dell. But because of my own children I knew his books, and I was pleased to be invited to such an illustrious event.

I was staying at a nearby hotel and planned to walk over to the party. But when I began to get dressed, I encountered a problem. I was wearing, I remember, a rose-colored crêpe de Chine dress. It buttoned up the back. I was alone in my hotel room. I buttoned the bottom buttons, and I buttoned the top buttons, but there was one button in the middle of my back that I simply couldn’t reach. It makes me laugh today, thinking about it, picturing the contortions I went through in that hotel room: twisting my arms, twisting my back, all to no avail.

The clock was ticking. The party would start soon. I had no other clothes except the casual things I'd been wearing all day and which were now wrinkled from the summer heat.

Finally I decided, The heck with it. I left the room with the button unbuttoned and headed off. When I got in my hotel elevator, a benign-looking older couple, probably tourists from the Midwest, were already standing inside, and I explained my predicament politely and asked if they could give me a hand. The gray-haired man kindly buttoned my dress for me.

We parted company in the lobby of my hotel and off I went to the St. Regis, where I milled around and chatted with countless people, sipped wine, and waited for the guest of honor, Scott O'Dell, to be introduced. When he was, of course he turned out to be the eighty-one-year-old man who had buttoned my dress.

But wait! There's more. Ten years passed.

I had never seen Mr. O'Dell during the intervening years, but now, suddenly, we were the two speakers at a luncheon being held on a college campus somewhere. I think it may have been Vassar.

We sat next to each other at the head table, nibbling our chicken, chatting about the weather. I knew he wouldn't remember me, but I certainly remembered him, and I was secretly thinking that when it was my turn to speak, I might tell the audience the amusing little anecdote about the button on my dress. But he went first. And, eyes twinkling, he started his speech with "The last time I was with Lois Lowry, we were in a New York hotel. I was helping her get dressed." He was ninety-one at the time. All of this floated back into my mind when I found myself rereading, last summer, The Island of the Blue Dolphins. None of it was appropriate to the book's introduction, of course, and I went on to write, instead, about the power of the story and the magnificence of the writing. Not that anyone needed reminding! There has never been a question about Scott O'Dell's brilliance as a writer and storyteller. But it's nice to have a chance, here, to tell an audience that he was also a sweet and funny man.

Lois Lowry

(Photo © Neil Giordano)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:22 -0400)

Records the courage and self-reliance of an Indian girl who lived alone for eighteen years on an isolated island off the California coast when her tribe emigrated and she was left behind.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,732,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible