Julie of the Wolves (1972)

by Jean Craighead George

Series: Julie of the Wolves (1)

While running away from home and an unwanted marriage, a thirteen-year-old Eskimo girl becomes lost on the North Slope of Alaska and is befriended by a wolf pack.
    Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (Paige22)
    Paige22: Another great book about survival. A young teenager in the wilderness similar to Julie of the Wolves.
    The Wolf King by Joseph Wharton Lippincott (bookel)
    A Dog Named Wolf by Erik Munsterhjelm (bookel)
    The Friend of the Singing One by Elizabeth C. Foster (bookel)

English (111)  German (1)  All languages (112)
Thirteen-year-old Yupik girl Miyax (Julie Edwards Miyax Kapugen) is orphaned and extremely alone, both in life and in the Alaskan wilderness. At the beginning of the story, we encounter Miyax somewhere outside of Barrow, Alaska, having left her husband and life there. As she befriends a wolf pack, we learn more about her past and dreams for the future, with Miyax caught between Alaska's past and its future.

I read this when I was little (I think we listened to the book on CD in the car), and it was really nice to come back to it again. ( )
  forsanolim | May 18, 2022 |
One of my treasured finds. This was one of the first books I picked out from my grade school library, and I still love it. ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
I hadn't read this book since sixth or seventh grade. I dug it out of one of my old boxes while organizing things for my boy. I remembered liking it, but I didn't remember just how great it was. I've upped this book from 3 to 5 stars. Perhaps my memory wasn't very good, or perhaps my tastes have changed. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
Life for 13-year-old Eskimo girl Miyax has become miserable. Her mother died when she was young, then her father disappeared on a hunting trip. So then she was forced into a prearranged marriage to a mentally handicapped boy, also only a child. So she runs away, to try to reach her pen-pal in San Francisco, because it sounds in the letters like life is all good there.
The tale is told in three parts. In the first part, Miyax (her English name is Julie) is alone in the Arctic, surviving largely because she has succeeded in befriending a small pack of wolves which she convinces to accept her as one of their own.
The second part is all flashback, telling the tale of how Miyax came to be alone on the tundra trying to get to San Francisco.
The third part goes back to her journey, and brings it to its conclusion.
A sad but satisfying story. ( )
  fingerpost | Jul 5, 2021 |
Miyax (Julie), a child bride, is alone, lost, and starving in the tundra after she flees her unhappy marriage. Her only hope is integrating herself into the pack of wolves nearby as her father once did long ago. Miyax dreams of an easy life in San Francisco with her pen pal who calls her Julie. This is a story of conflict between the two identities and traditions of Miyax and Julie. ( )
  kat.lien | Jul 2, 2021 |
With all due respect for Jean Craighead George, I humbly would not recommend the book to be put on school shelves. I know it is hard work to write books, but when misinformation about the Arctic are numerous, one must say something about the book.

Jean Craighead Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Luke George who loves wolves
and the Eskimos of Alaska
Miyax pushed back the hood of her sealskin parka and looked at the Arctic sun.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,865,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible