Walk Two Moons (1994)

by Sharon Creech

7,884288825 (4.13)1 / 155
After her mother leaves home suddenly, thirteen-year-old Sal and her grandparents take a car trip retracing her mother's route. Along the way, Sal recounts the story of her friend Phoebe, whose mother also left.

An ideal book for 5th and 6th graders with a creative female narrator from a nontraditional family. ( )
  smabile | Jun 8, 2021 |
I discovered this book when I was a young kid and I was always my favorite. reading it as an adult brings me right back in to younger days, absorbed in the peculiar story and the web of strands wound from a story in a story. ( )
  literarylifelines | May 13, 2021 |
RGG: Sweet story about a young girl's dealing with the change caused by the loss of her mother. Intergenerational relationship is very positive. Prose is very simplistic.
  rgruberexcel | Apr 19, 2021 |
Walk Two Moons is a deep story full of drama and adventure. Although it starts off a little slow: it's theme, characters and depth kept me reading to the end. It is a story about a young girl, Salamanca, going on an adventure, looking for answers. Her mother left and never returned so she goes on an journey with her grandparents to see her mom. She spends a lot of time telling stories to her grandparents, especially about her friend Phoebe whose mom had left also. There is a lot to take from this book, and I definitely don't want to spoil the ending in this review, so... I highly recommend you check it out for yourself! There are also a lot of great lessons that students can pick up from this book. Never judge a man until you've walked two moons in his moccasins. ( )
  RoaneRayL | Mar 26, 2021 |
This book dealt with some really tough topics. I like the way Sal somewhat tells her story thru her storytelling of Phoebe. It was very impactful how she also learned from her experiences with Phoebe. Her grandparents are just wonderful. It was an emotional read at some points but very worth it. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Mar 3, 2021 |
A richly layered novel about real and metaphorical journeys.
added by ArrowStead | editSchool Library Journal

Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, January 1995 (Vol. 48, No. 5))
Salamanca-Sal-grew up in Kentucky, but she and her father moved to Ohio after her mother's death; she and her grandparents are currently taking a road trip to Idaho, where her mother is buried. As they travel, Sal relates to her grandparents the story of her friend Phoebe, whose unhappy mother left Phoebe's family; Sal finds that recounting Phoebe's story helps her understand the desertion of her own mother, who was later killed when the bus taking her away from her family crashed. Creech skillfully keeps these layers separate but makes their interrelationship clear, and the plot moves along amid all this contemplation with the aid of a mysterious note-leaver, a local "lunatic," an eccentric English teacher, and Sal's budding romance, not to mention Mount Rushmore, Old Faithful, and a poisonous snakebite along the road of Sal's trip with her grandparents. The style is smooth and imaginative but cheerfully plain-spoken ("I wanted to jump up and say, 'Phoebe's mother has disappeared and that is why Phoebe is acting like a complete donkey,' but I didn't"), and the folksiness of Sal's grandparents (Sal's grandfather calls Sal his "chickabiddy" and his wife "gooseberry") is warm and uncontrived. Readers who enjoyed Barbara Hall's Dixie Storms (BCCB 7/90) will appreciate this strong and tender novel about all kinds of gain and loss. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction. (c) Copyright 1995, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 1994, HarperCollins, 280p, $15.89 and $16.00. Grades 7-12.
added by kthomp25 | editThe Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Deborah Stevenson

CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices, 1994)
Singular, vividly realized characters are at the heart of this moving, funny and astonishing novel. On a cross-country trip to Idaho to visit her mother, thirteen-year-old Sal fascinates and delights her grandparents with the story of mystery surrounding her best friend Phoebe Winterbottom, or Peeby as Gram and Gramps refer to her. But in telling Phoebe's story, Sal is also telling her grandparent's her own - how she is dealing with the changes in her life since her mother left their Kentucky home and she and her father moved to Ohio. The narrative moves back and forth between Sal on the road with her grandparents and Sal's story of Phoebe, but throughout, she privately reflects on her own memories of life back in Kentucky before her mother went away, when things seemed calm and whole. The journey west with her grandparents, who are colorful, quirky characters with boundless love, is healing for Sal as she comes to understand and accept why her mother went away. An added bonus for Wisconsin readers are the stops Sal and her grandparents make in downtown Madison and the Wisconsin Dells as they journey west. Winner, 1994 CCBC Newbery Award Discussion. CCBC categories: Fiction For Children; Fiction For Teenagers. 1994, HarperCollins, 280 pages, $15.89. Ages 10-14.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins.
For my sister and brothers:
Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom
with love
from
The Favorite
Gramps says that I am a country girl at heart, and that is true.
Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked two moons in his moccasins.
Everyone has his own agenda.
In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter?
You can’t keep the birds of sadness from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nesting in your hair.
We never know the worth of water until the well is dry.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,309,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible