Hatchet (1987)

by Gary Paulsen

Series: Brian's Saga (1)

After a plane crash, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive with only the aid of a hatchet given him by his mother, and learning also to survive his parents' divorce.

English (533)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (535)
Great read for getting younger people into reading. I loved this book when I was in elementary school. Reading it again now more attention could have been given to character development but still a classic! ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
3.49
i live for character driven books, and since brian is the only character, i'd say this counts as one.
not necessarily a satisfying ending, but definitely a satisfying final paragraph.
*read for school ( )
  chlsvnr | Jun 13, 2022 |
I read this book, and I enjoyed the survial feeling. Though it was a little slow and the conclusion was confusing, I still liked it. ( )
  MollyGroff | May 23, 2022 |
Paulsen's memoir moved me to wanting to finally read this book, and it was excellent. The language and storytelling grab you from the first moment and just don't let go. Feels deeply authentic, immediate, and enthralling. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
This was redundant, slow, and sorely lacking in action despite its being a survival story. I give it two stars instead of one because of the seeming symbolism of the titular hatchet, and the amusing (to me) one-liner at the end (which I won't share; you have to read it yourself to enjoy it!). I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a children's book failed to entertain me as an adult reader, but C.S. Lewis put it best when he quipped, “A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.” ( )
  djlinick | Jan 15, 2022 |

Gary Paulsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coyote, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
secret, secret, oh the secret.
To the students of the Hershey Middle School
Brian Robeson stared out the window of the small plane at the endless green northern wilderness below.
He could not play the game without hope; could not play the game without a dream. They had taken it all away from him now, they had turned away from him and there was nothing for him now. The plane gone, his family gone, all of it gone. They would not come. He was alone and there was nothing for him.
In measured time, forty-seven days had passed since the crash. Forty-two days, he thought, since he had died and had been born as the new Brian.
Many times he thought he would not make it.
This LT work distinguishes Gary Paulsen's original 1988 novel, Hatchet, from later editions that include related readings. Thank you.

After his plane crashes on the way to visit his father in the Canadian oil fields, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive with only the aid of a hatchet given to him by his mother. Will Brain ever be able to find his way back home?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,797,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible