Hatchet (1987)

by Gary Paulsen

Series: Brian's Saga (1)

After a plane crash, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive with only the aid of a hatchet given him by his mother, and learning also to survive his parents' divorce.

English (519)  Polish (1)  All languages (520)
(I'm going to try to keep this as vague as possible since it is a short novel)

This novel follows 13-year old Brian as he travels to visit his father.

Brian is forced to survive on his own in the Canadian wilderness for the majority of this novel.

He has to learn how to help himself with very few supplies; he has a hatchet his mother gave him and some others from his transportation vehicle but must get everything else from nature.

This story includes themes of marriage, divorce, survival, despair, maturity, and growth

I highly recommend this novel for readers as young as 6th grade.

**All thoughts and opinions are my own. I read this book as an elementary student myself and again as a teacher for 6th-grade students.** ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Jun 11, 2021 |
Hatchet takes you on Brian Robeson's journey to attempt to survive alone in the wilderness. Brian is a 13-years-old boy with divorced parents who ends up being in a plane crash that leaves him stranded in the Canadian wilderness. Hatchet takes the reader through the many trials Brian has to go through to try to stay alive. This book has a great storyline and would interest anyone who enjoys primitive things and survival. I first read this novel when I was in 6th grade and still remember how it drew me in. Hatchet is filled with vivid imagery and allows you to put yourself in Brian's shoes. The plot is packed with adventure and suspense. It excited me so much that I finished the entire novel in only two days. I want my future students to experience this novel, not only for the adventure, but because of the deeper meaning the novel provides. There is a lot of symbolism scattered throughout the novel that I desire to dissect with my future students. ( )
  Madimurphy33 | Mar 22, 2021 |
This is such an interesting tale filled with danger and suspense! The way Gary Paulsen writes is so fantastic and gives such amazing imagery! I find this an amazing read for all ages! I recommend it to all middle-grade readers! ( )
  Tilda_Books | Feb 5, 2021 |
It was a good book but I thought Brian was rather stupid. ( )
  AlizarinCrimson | Jan 7, 2021 |
This book was very nostalgic for me. I remember our librarian reading us this book so it held some special memories for me.

It however, was much sadder and more emotional than I remember. A bit of a rollercoaster actually. I did enjoy it and it makes you realize how important basic survival skills are. No one ever thinks they will need those skills but you never really know what will happen.

Great read and a great trip down memory lane. ( )
  Alli_Kelsey | Jan 4, 2021 |

Gary Paulsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coyote, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
secret, secret, oh the secret.
To the students of the Hershey Middle School
Brian Robeson stared out the window of the small plane at the endless green northern wilderness below.
He could not play the game without hope; could not play the game without a dream. They had taken it all away from him now, they had turned away from him and there was nothing for him now. The plane gone, his family gone, all of it gone. They would not come. He was alone and there was nothing for him.
In measured time, forty-seven days had passed since the crash. Forty-two days, he thought, since he had died and had been born as the new Brian.
Many times he thought he would not make it.
This LT work distinguishes Gary Paulsen's original 1988 novel, Hatchet, from later editions that include related readings. Thank you.

After his plane crashes on the way to visit his father in the Canadian oil fields, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the wilderness, learning to survive with only the aid of a hatchet given to him by his mother. Will Brain ever be able to find his way back home?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,878,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible