Compass South (Four Points) by Hope Larson

Compass South (Four Points) (2016)

by Hope Larson, Rebecca Mock (Illustrator)

Other authors: Andrew Arnold (Designer)

Series: Four Points (1)

Rollicking adventure. Loads of fun. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
My son and I picked this up at the library. This was a well done historical fiction graphic novel; we both ended up enjoying it.

The main story focuses on twins who are trying to make a living in a gang after their father disappears. When they are arrested during a heist, they agree to rat out the gang in exchange for tickets to New Orleans. One of the twins sees an ad in a newspaper that is offering a reward for missing red-haired twins; they decide to go to New Orleans to claim the reward (being red-haired and twins themselves).

On their adventures they run into another set of red-haired twins that has the same idea. What follows are many adventures involving pirates and kidnapping. It all made for a fast-paced and engaging adventure story set in the mid 1800’s.

The illustration is well done and easy to follow and done in full color. I enjoyed it and thought it added to the story a lot.

Overall this was a fun adventure graphic novel. I plan on picking up the second book in the Four Points series to see where Alex and Cleo’s adventures take them next. I would recommend to middle grade and older readers who enjoy historical fiction with a lot of action and adventure. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 7, 2018 |
It’s 1860 in New York City. When 12-year-old twins Alexander and Cleopatra’s father disappears, they join the Black Hook Gang and are caught by the police pulling off a heist. They agree to reveal the identity of the gang in exchange for tickets to New Orleans. But once there, Alex is shanghaied to work on a ship that is heading for San Francisco via Cape Horn. Cleo stows away on a steamer to New Granada where she hopes to catch a train to San Francisco to find her brother. Neither Alexander nor Cleo realizes the real danger they are in — they are being followed by pirates who think they hold the key to treasure. How they outwit the pirates and find each other makes for a fast-paced, breathtaking adventure.
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |

Larson, HopeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mock, RebeccaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Arnold, AndrewDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Will, the original red-headed brother. ―H.L.

To John and Kelly, my Alex and Cleo. ―R.M
'Night, Dodge.

After escaping the Black Hook Gang in 1860 New York City, twelve-year-old twins Alexander and Cleopatra flee to New Orleans, become separated, and try to find each other in San Francisco, while being followed by pirates who think they hold the key to treasure.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,367,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible