A Cure for Madness by Jodi McIsaac

A Cure for Madness

by Jodi McIsaac

Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was well written, engaging and hard to put down. However, Clare’s decisions and state of mind lacked consistency. She really acted like someone with multiple personalities. I also have to wonder what happened to Uncle Rob. He was a main character, and then suddenly disappeared. I also think the author grew bored with the book and decided not to give us an ending. Although the problem was resolved, there was little information on how everything was resolved, very frustrating. I’m not sure how to rank this book, so I’ll put it in the middle, 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Apr 20, 2016 |
Claire Campbell is making a life for herself on the West Coast, as far removed from her family in Maine as possible. She maintains phone contact with her parents and brother, but hardly ever goes back to Maine to visit. Claire’s life will never be the same after receiving a phone call telling her that her parents have been murdered and she's now the legal guardian for her older brother in A Cure for Madness by Jodi McIsaac.

Claire left Maine shortly after her graduation from college. The exact reasons for her departure aren't clear, but she's kept herself apart from her family for years, maintaining contact via phone calls only. With the murder of her parents, she has no choice but to return to Maine and straighten out her brother's care, as well as make arrangements for her parent's bodies. All Claire knows about her parents' murder is that the act was committed by a fellow church member before the murderer killed himself. Little does she know, but that one reportedly random act of violence is the beginning of a health care crisis for the town of Clarkeston, Maine. When the CDC, USAMRID, and the National Guard arrive, the town becomes quarantined and it appears that Claire's brother may hold the key to a cure. Claire is forced to choose between her brother's health and welfare and that of her hometown and possibly the society as a whole.

I found A Cure for Madness to be a fast-paced, engaging, and enjoyable read. Ms. McIsaac has crafted a nightmare scenario that sounds slightly absurd but isn't too farfetched to be unbelievable. Added into the mix of a bizarre healthcare crisis, a family with conservative Christian values, mental health issues, public safety versus personal freedoms, government surveillance, man-made diseases, conspiracies, and more. Claire has to deal with the notion that Wes has been in-and-out of mental institutions for most of his adult life, but he is her beloved older brother and his decline began with an incident involving Wes avenging her virtue (I know it sounds old-fashioned, but trust me and read the book to find out more). A Cure for Madness provides a lot of thrills and chills, as well as a touch of romance. I wish I could tell you more about this amazing story, but you'll just have to read it for yourself. Seriously, you need to add A Cure for Madness to your TBR list and set aside a weekend to read this book. I'm looking forward to reading more from Ms. McIsaac in the future. ( )
  BookDivasReads | Feb 7, 2016 |
I was originally drawn to the synopsis for A Cure for Madness by Jodi McIsaac, although I was a little nervous about the target audience not being entirely clear. I am still not sure what group I would recommend this title to, even after reading it. Dare I say new adult? The main characters are all adults, but it did have that YA tone.
It is most definitely the unique storyline that kept me invested in the story for the majority of my time with the book, and I appreciated the author not jumping to the post apocalyptic gig when it is better suited to current times.
I found myself connecting with the characters, although I wasn't always fond of them, and the author did an outstanding job at stringing me along with the mystery portion. The writing is simplistic, and there is an excruciating amount of needless description that felt too much like filler and made the pacing inconsistent, however; this didn't stop me from enjoying the book.
The conclusion was unfrickinbelievable. I absolutely loved it. I do, however, wish that the author had stopped before the final chapter. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
Do you ever sometimes feel you totally get an author's thought process?

What if ... schizophrenia were contagious! And what if ... the only one who could stop the spread was someone who had schizophrenia before all this happened! Except ... he's spiraling off his meds and is unwilling to help!

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't after you (Joseph Heller -- Catch-22).

A Cure for Madness by Jodi McIsaac is a fairly typical thriller-zombie-pathogen type novel. All the standard plot points: strange disease starts to infect a small town, initial panic escalates to full blown pandemonium, military-enforced quarantine, protagonist chased.

Because I wrote pandemonium up there, I feel like thinking about pandas for a bit.

Okay. Done.

For a thriller, >A Cure for Madness is well written. The characters aren't flat puppets bouncing around on popsicle sticks and the pacing is well done; the amping up of the spread of the disease and the way the town starts to fall apart completely believable. The story takes place in a small college town in Maine, so I can imagine the whole story here, in my small university town in New Brunswick (province bordering Maine for the geographically-challenged), especially since McIsaac is also from New Brunswick. Granted, I don't think we have a mental hospital. The last chapter is heartbreaking, when you realize what this has meant for Clare, our protagonist, who spends the later two-thirds of novel trying to protect her brother with his mental illness.

So it's a good, solid, easy-to-read thriller novel that I have nothing to complain about, except for the fact that I generally prefer literary fiction to thrillers. But for those days when you just want to read something a little mindless and entertaining, A Cure for Madness works fine.

A Cure for Madness by Jodi McIsaac went on sale January 19, 2016.

I received a copy free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  reluctantm | Jan 22, 2016 |

Clare Campbell has worked hard to create distance between herself and her troubled family. But when she receives news of her parents murder, shes forced to return to the quiet town of Clarkeston, Maine, to arrange their funeral and take legal guardianship of her unpredictable and mentally ill brother, Wes.… (more)

Jodi McIsaac is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,634,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible