As Death Draws Near by Anna Lee Huber

As Death Draws Near

by Anna Lee Huber

Series: Lady Darby (5)

I love the Lady Darby series and this book is no different. Kiera and Gage have married, and are honeymooning in the Lake District when a letter from Lord Gage comes, demanding their assistance in solving the murder of a nun. They travel to Ireland, and as they investigate, it becomes increasingly clear that Miss Lennox, the murdered nun, was much more than she seemed. In the midst of their investigation, they come face to face with the conflict between Protestants and Catholics, a conflict that forces them to confront their own feelings about the matter. As Death Draws Near was a fascinating book that explored Keira's feelings on calling and whether or not she should actually be investigating with Gage. This is a great addition to the Lady Darby series, and I cannot wait to find out what happens next! ( )
  Bookseiffel | Feb 23, 2018 |
Another good mystery by Huber. The characters are well-developed and the story moves along at a good pace while pushing the reader to try and solve the murders before the book gives you the answer. ( )
  kjensen55 | Nov 5, 2017 |
I love this book, but it's getting a bonus 1/2 star bump for being both historically accurate and immediately relevant.

Gage and Kiera are on their honeymoon when they are summoned to Ireland to investigate the death of a young woman, a postulant at the Loretto convent; a recent convert from Anglicanism and a distant cousin of Wellington.

The story's time - the early 1800's - and its setting in Ireland, make it the perfect vehicle for exploring religious intolerance and prejudice. If I had to guess, I'd say the author is Roman Catholic, but it's just a guess, as I think both the Protestants and the Catholics are treated equally. Either way, it is clear that the author is writing from a place of faith herself; the story does not proselytise and it's not a "Christian" book but its plot is entirely about religion and Huber writes without cynicism, whether she's talking about its grace or its hypocrisy.

The mystery itself was devastating and complex; I was so very sure I knew where it was going, and I was so very wrong. I saw a small twist coming a mile away but it didn't go where I thought it would at all. The ending was heart wrenching and gutting and that twist totally blind-sided me.

The author includes a note at the end that discusses what she used from history (a lot) and what she created; she also includes a few recommended reads for those interested in going further. This was an incredibly well-written, entertaining mystery with the added bonus of giving the reader quite a bit to chew on in terms of what people will do to each other in the name of religion and I thought it was handled deftly without being judgemental.

These people, these neighbors, both Protestant and Catholic alike, who spat at each other with such hatred that it sometimes erupted into violence, did so because their faith was slightly different. Because they couldn't be bothered to learn the truth about each other.

Easily one of my top 5 favourite series - can't wait for the next one. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 13, 2016 |
While on their honeymoon, Kiera and Gage receive a letter from his father urging them to investigate a death at an abbey in Ireland. What they find is two nuns dead and a growing civil unrest in Ireland.
That's the premise for Anna Lee Huber's new book As Death Draws Near. This book, which is part of the Lady Darby Mystery Series, is a great Victorian mystery. Not every author is as good as Ms. Huber in allowing a new reader to enjoy the story even though they haven't read any of the other books in the series. The characters were well written and I became hooked from the first chapter.
I feel that even readers who don't usually read historical mysteries should give this book a try. I think that just like me they will have found a new favorite author.
I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  bah195 | Sep 28, 2016 |

Anna Lee Huberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Osborne, EmilyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father,
for showing me that a good man treats women with care and respect,
and that actions sometimes speak louder than words.
With love and gratitude.
It began with a letter.

July 1831. In the midst of their idyllic honeymoon in England’s Lake District, Kiera and Gage’s seclusion is soon interrupted by a missive from her new father-in-law. A deadly incident involving a distant relative of the Duke of Wellington has taken place at an abbey south of Dublin, Ireland, and he insists that Kiera and Gage look into the matter.

Intent on discovering what kind of monster could murder a woman of the cloth, the couple travel to Rathfarnham Abbey school. Soon a second nun is slain in broad daylight near a classroom full of young girls. With the sinful killer growing bolder, the mother superior would like to send the students home, but the growing civil unrest in Ireland would make the journey treacherous.

Before long, Kiera starts to suspect that some of the girls may be hiding a sinister secret. With the killer poised to strike yet again, Kiera and Gage must make haste and unmask the fiend, before their matrimonial bliss comes to an untimely end...

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 17 Jan 2016 16:38:00 -0500)

"The latest mystery from the national bestselling author of A Study in Death tangles Lady Kiera Darby and Sebastian Gage in a dangerous web of religious and political intrigue. July 1831. In the midst of their idyllic honeymoon in England's Lake District, Kiera and Gage's seclusion is interrupted by a missive from Kiera's new father-in-law. A deadly incident involving a distant relative of the Duke of Wellington has taken place at an abbey south of Dublin, Ireland, and he insists that she and Gage look into the matter. Intent on discovering what kind of monster could murder a woman of the cloth, the couple travels to Rathfarnham Abbey school. Soon, a second nun is slain in broad daylight near a classroom full of young girls. With the sinful killer growing bolder, the mother superior would like to send the students home, but the growing civil unrest in Ireland would make the journey treacherous. Before long, Kiera starts to suspect that some of the girls may be hiding a sinister secret. With the killer poised to strike yet again, Kiera and Gage must make haste and unmask the fiend before their matrimonial bliss comes to an untimely end."--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,931,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible