National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America

by National Geographic Society

This field guide for serious birders combines accurate illustrations with useful maps and text in a portable format. Textual information includes notes on identification, behavior, habitat, and song; the illustrations depict individual species in varying plumages.
    The Sibley Guide to Birds by David Allen Sibley (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: These two are, by popular concensus, the two top guides to the region's birds.

This is an excellent reference book, invaluable for both the novice and expert birder. The brief but informative introduction is well written and well illustrated. The thumb tabs for the major bird families help speed access to the desired species. The individual descriptions of species include an overview, range maps and data, voice characteristics, and clear, colorful illustrations. My only gripe is that the book is a bit too big and cumbersome, for me at least, to comfortably use out in the field. ( )
  ghr4 | May 20, 2016 |
Can't live without this one--it goes everywhere with me. I've since updated and bought the 4th and 5th editions, but all of my birding notes are still in this very worn copy. An excellent field guide, in my opinion. I supplement it with [b:The Sibley Guide to Birds|15832|The Sibley Guide to Birds|David Allen Sibley|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166694299s/15832.jpg|17649], which stays at home while I drag the Ntl. Geographic guide with me. ( )
  reesetee | Sep 18, 2014 |
Great, if dated, field guide. This, the second edition, was published in 1987. Subsequent printings may have lead this book to be listed as having a publication date of 1999, but that doesn't mean the information in this book was current even in 1999. Several birds have been re-named and re-categorized (e.g. Green-backed heron listed is actually now recognized as two species: the Green Heron in North America and the Striated Heron in central and south America.) Range maps are dated. ( )
  breakerfallen | Apr 4, 2013 |
My favorite birding guide book. It has great pictures and descriptions. The blurbs with the range maps is fantastic and it has a lot of incidental species to South Texas (at least) that a lot of guide books lack since they are not "common enough", I guess.

There's a handy checklist in the back if you want to check off species as you see them, but since I'm a much more casual birder, I just write in the white space next to the bird where and when I saw it for the first time. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

National Geographic Societyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alderfer, Jonathan K.main authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dunn, Jon L.main authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction (p. 6): North America enjoys an abundance of bird life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,409,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible