dismiss

The Way of the Heart (1981)

by Henri J. M. Nouwen

The modern classic that interweaves the solitude, silence, and prayer of the fourth- and fifth-century Egyptian Desert Fathers and Mothers with our contemporary search for an authentic spirituality.

English (6)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
he Way of the Heart. Interweaving the solitude, silence, and prayer of the fifth-century Egyptian Desert Fathers and Mothers with our contemporary search for an authentic spirituality, The Way of the Heart not only leads us to a fuller encounter with God, but to a more creative ministry with our fellow human beings. Here is one of the most profound works from a writer known for his fresh and perceptive insights—and who stands alongside C.S. Lewis and Thomas Merton as an essential Christian scholar and thinker
  StFrancisofAssisi | Mar 26, 2020 |
3.23
  collectionmcc | Mar 6, 2018 |
Comparative Religion; Mythology (No Longer Used) > Other Religions > Religion
  FHQuakers | Feb 12, 2018 |
Solitude shows us the way to let our behavior be shaped not by the compulsions of the world but by our new ind, the mind of Christ. Silence prevents us from being suffocated by our wordy world and teaches us to speak in the Word of God. Henri Nouwen invites us to search deeply for the well-springs that nourish true ministry by looking to the example of the 5th century Egyptian Desert Fathers and Mothers. Their experience in the desert taught them that spiritual survival was possible only if they found a place in their lives for solitude, silence and prayer.
  PendleHillLibrary | Aug 31, 2017 |
A delightful book merging Ancient with Contemporary spirituality through the lens of the Desert Mothers and Fathers. Spirituality in this sense is meant to bring about character transformation. Please note this is best read as a springboard to their wisdom and not the expurgated version. ( )
  revslick | Dec 31, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,863,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible