The Legends Club: Dean Smith, Mike…

The Legends Club: Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski, Jim Valvano, and an Epic… (2016)

by John Feinstein

"The Legends Club is a sports book that captures an era in American sport and culture, documenting the inside view of a decade of absolutely incredible competition. Feinstein pulls back the curtain on the recruiting wars, the intensely personal competition that wasn't always friendly, the enormous pressure and national stakes, and the battle for the very soul of college basketball allegiance in a hot-bed area. Getting to the roots of the NCAA goliath that is followed religiously by millions of fans today, Feinstein uses his unprecedented access to all three coaches to paint a portrait only he could conjure."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Fairly written and represented, author John Feinstein gives readers an inside look at the never-boring relationships that existed between Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski, and Jim Valvano as they led their teams in the competitive ACC. Basketball fans will enjoy this interesting book detailing how the successes and failures of these 3 coaching legends forever linked their lives together. ( )
  coachtim30 | Dec 27, 2018 |
John Feinstein is my most favorite author of sports books, particularly those related to college basketball. He covers a thirty year basketball rivalry among Duke, North Carolina and North Carolina State. Most of this book centers on the coaching rivalry between Dean Smith from North Carolina and Mike Krzyzewski from Duke. After North Carolina State won the NCAA Tournament in 1983 under Jim Valvano, they have struggled to keep up with their other NC competitors. Valvano was the most interesting character of the three coaches and his struggle against cancer was heroic and inspiring.

I found the friendship between Valvano and Krzyzewski very interesting given their polar opposite personalities. There are a lot of great stories about the competition for recruits and the competition on the court. The ACC was my second favorite brand of basketball in the 1970s and early 80's. (My favorite was Big 5 basketball.)

This book is well researched and a pleasure to read if you like college basketball. Plenty of great stories. ( )
  writemoves | Jan 30, 2017 |
Every sport has times and places that become the pinnacle of that sport. A strong case can be made that North Carolina college basketball in the 1980s and 90s is one of those zeniths. Feinstein argues that the rivalry between the legendary coaches of North Carolina, Duke, and North Carolina State is what made their basketball so great. The author also provides respectful insight on the complex relationships between these men and the realities of playing and coaching at the highest levels of a sport. While the initial appeal will be to college basketball aficionados and sport fans in general, the stories of these men’s lives and careers is interesting enough to appeal to a broader audience. ( )
  MarianneDawn | Aug 8, 2016 |
I have read many of Feinstein's books and enjoyed them all. This one is the best. I am probably very biased by my many years of experience as a college coach and by my love of college basketball - but the is excellent - far more than stories of wins and losses it is a funny but touching tale of men doing what they love and doing it with style. ( )
  labdaddy4 | May 1, 2016 |
This is for Ken Denlinger, who taught me about college hoops, journalism, and life.
in a very real sense, this book ws born on February 28, 1975- Dean Smith's forty-fifth birthday.
As long as I am health and enjoying it, I'll coach and right now I am both.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,795,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible