The Weaver's Lament (The Symphony of…

The Weaver's Lament (The Symphony of Ages)

by Elizabeth Haydon

This one is tricky...
On the nostalgic side, The Symphony of Ages was my first fantasy series I ever read, and the first trilogy to this day is one of my top favorite fantasy trilogies. The Weaver's Lament feels more certainly a return to form in writing skill and storytelling by Haydon then the previous book, "The Hollow Queen" was. There were also so many nods in this final installment to the first trilogy I could not help but feel a genuine nostalgic connection to it.
With that being said, this book felt extremely rushed, and I think could have served as a truly epic ending had more been put into it.
It felt rushed in many ways; such as the quick and almost lackadaisical way all of Rhapsody's children were introduced and discussed. It felt rushed in the way some characters story arches seemed to conclude. It felt rushed in the way after 1000 years of peace one thing happens that definitely wouldn't happen.
It feels rushed especially in the way of the character Meridion, who promised to be upon his birth an amazing and utterly unique character to this story. However, due to the skipping of 1,000 years in time between the last book and this one, we get to see literally nothing of Meridion's growth. He instead is a just another character in this story that is there to push the plot forward. What a waste.
Also never mentioned even once...Stephen Navarne and Melisande...I was hoping to see more of them.
There were also events that unfolded that felt completely out of place within the larger story that Haydon has painted for 8 other books. Two plot points in particular that involve the Three, that just wouldn't happen, except they do, and it feels like cheating the readers who have dedicated so much time to these characters. It felt sloppy and forced, and unfortunate.
With all that, however, The Weaver's Lament did feel like a strong ending to this epic tale. The last third of the novel felt, right, for lack of a better word. If it it did feel a bit off for missing some key players, it was a fitting end, and truly felt like it came full circle in a way.
In this installment I think the good outweighed the bad, though I am still unsure if that is because I have an emotional attachment to this series and knowing this is the final book makes me biased in some way, or if this book truly was a good read overall. Perhaps, it's a little of both.
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Elizabeth Haydon and I am excited to see what epic tale she can bring us next, though my hunch is nothing will compare to the Three traveling through that root to the other side of the world and time! ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Aug 21, 2018 |
The review for the final book of a series that's been a long time coming is a tricky thing. On the one hand, this book really makes me want to reach for the first three again. Those were the books that made me fall in love with the series, and with the world that Haydon has created. There were elements in this book that I felt were missing from some of the middle books. My favorite characters got to play pivotal roles and come back into the limelight, and my least favorite ones were relegated mostly to the beginning. So after a rough beginning, I was pleasantly surprised to find this book focusing on the things that I loved most about the series.

However - it certainly won't be replacing the original trilogy in terms of my favorites. Several of the plot points felt contrived and annoying. They didn't fit with the way that characters and events have been portrayed previously. At various moments through the story I could clearly see the author's hand forcing chess pieces to move around. The thread of the love triangle has always been my least favorite trope, and this one was no exception. Ashe has always been a dull character to me and I don't see many redeeming qualities in him. To my pleasure, overall he was present on many fewer pages in this book than he has in some of the previous ones.

Overall, a solid book in an enjoyable series that not enough fantasy lovers know about. However, when I'm in the mood to jump into this world again I think I'll stick to the original trilogy and leave it at that. ( )
  LSmith862 | Apr 13, 2018 |
"That is the end of my tale, with illustrations, my song, a symphony of Ages spanning from before the Seren War in the Third Age to the end of this one, the Sixth Age, which in what little I can see of the Future will be known as Twilight. The paradox is complete."

The Weaver's Lament is the 9th and final book in Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages. I have mixed feelings about this book. I do think it is a fitting end to the series. That said, I also feel unsatisfied with a few key points that happened. A thousand years have passed and the realm has been at peace. The first third of the book is dedicated to introducing us to all of Rhapsody and Ashe's children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc., even going so far as to explain their roles in society though they are all irrelevant to the actual ending of the story aside from Meridion. Then comes an event so completely out of left field that it doesn't make sense in any way other than as a plot point. It was just too convenient to be authentic, especially given the character involved. Just as the situation starts to escalate the perpetrator is easily dealt with and we move on.

Up next is the second half of the book which feels like a different story entirely. This is more along the lines of what I expected when I picked up the book. The pace picks up and I was swept away into the adventure that felt a lot more natural and in line with the characters involved, though it too feels on the rushed side. Perhaps that's my main complaint. The book is too short!

There are some things I really liked. I quite enjoyed Achmed, Grunthor and Rhapsody's little reunion. It felt just like old times. I liked that we're given the explanation of the altered timeline from book 1 and what history would have looked like had there been no intervention. The undead "guardian" Jarmon seemed like a nod to the skeleton guard in The Last Unicorn. If he wasn't then that is quite a coincidence. I had been quite curious about what the underworld was like and it was great to have that curiosity satisfied. Also, Achmed continues to be a bad ass.

The series could easily have ended with the previous book. I do think the things I liked outweigh the things I didn't so I'm glad I read it. Just be sure to keep a box of kleenex handy if you decide to give it a go as you're in for an emotional roller coaster. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 24, 2017 |
To my family
into which I was born,
married,
or invited,

you who have given me all the music I ever needed
to be able to sing this rhapsody
with abiding love and thanks
In the constant torchlight flickering around the dark glade, it seemed that the grave would never be deep enough.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076532055X, Hardcover)

Acclaimed author Elizabeth Haydon returns with a heartbreaking tale of love and valor in "The Weaver s Lament, " the ninth and final installment of her "USA Today" bestselling Symphony of Ages series that began with "Rhapsody."

In "The Weaver's Lament," the lines between the past and future are irrevocably blurred, and the strength of true love is tested in unthinkable ways. Bestselling author Elizabeth Haydon has delivered a spectacular conclusion to the Symphony of Ages.
"A full-scale tale of warfare and political intrigue that high-fantasy fans will enjoy. Fans of the series will be satisfied, and newcomers will find themselves welcome." "Booklist "on "The Hollow Queen""

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 18 Feb 2016 20:03:54 -0500)

"For a thousand years, the lands ruled by the Cymrian Alliance have been at peace. When the brutal death of a dear friend catapults the kingdom to the brink of civil war, Rhapsody finds herself in an impossible situation: forced to choose between her beloved husband, Ashe, and her two oldest friends, Grunthor and Achmed. Choosing her husband will mean the death of thousands of innocents. Siding against him will cost Rhapsody the other half of her soul, both in this life and the next."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,840,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible