Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera

Juliet Takes a Breath

by Gabby Rivera

RGG: Kind of a Siddhartha of lesbian latina philosophy. The plot is thin, but the thinking is powerful. Reading Interest: YA.
  rgruberhighschool | Jan 31, 2018 |
So good. I will be recommending this book to many folks. It sits right at the edge of fictionalized memoir, telling the story of a 19-year-old Puerto Rican girl from the Bronx who heads to Portland for an internship with her idol, the quintessential white lady feminist who wrote a book about pussy power, sees auras and loves polyamorously, and rejoices when Juliet accidentally bleeds into the mattress. In a great story that doesn't read as YA, there's a lot of love, a lot of cultural differences, and a lot of learning that happens -- for the characters and, it seems intended, for the readers. Extremely entertaining, excellent lively voices and dialogue, and an award winner -- happy, light fare with social themes to integrate into one's own experience. One of the best books I've read all year. ( )
  pammab | Nov 30, 2017 |
Check out even more reviews on my book blog: https://www.lifeofafemalebibliophile.com/

Juliet Takes a Breath is a story about a young woman named Juliet who is in the midst of embarking on a summer of self-discovery. The eve before she leaves on her trip she decides to come out to her family, and while some take the news well, others don’t. Though disappointed by family members who are not supportive of her initial announcement, she goes forth with her summer plans. Traveling from the Bronx, New York to Portland, Oregon she will be an intern for Harlowe Brisbane, the author of her favorite book Raging Flower.

Through the internship Juliet learns more about herself from living with Harlowe and experiences a huge culture shock in her new surrounds. Portland has a huge cafe culture, the neighborhood is not as diverse as her neighborhood, and people throw all kinds of lingo at her that she doesn’t understand. She tries to deal with these sudden changes along being homesick, while coming into her own. She is doubtful at first and starts to question if this experience will help her or hurt her, but over the course of the novel we see her become more confident.

During the summer Juliet is faced with many obstacles that propel and challenge her journey of self-discovery. Being out of her comfort zone pushes her to face these challenges head on while giving her a new perspective of the world around her and what she wants for her future. I love self-discovery/coming-of-age stories such as Juliet. I find them to be relatable and most often readers can see themselves in the stories and reflect on their own past.

Juliet journey also fills her with questions as she struggles to understand privilege, spaces, being a queer woman of color, inter-sectional feminism, among many other things. Readers can empathize with her confusion and the way Rivera writes makes Juliet feel very real. She’s very down to earth and get nervous about new situations, but she tries to navigate them the best they can. Plus I loved her close relationship with her brother, cousin Ava, and her aunt who were are all so supportive of her and helped her talk out her problems.

I would love to continue to seek out more LQBTQA novels such as this and I loved reading the book from Juliet’s perspective. Rivera is a wonderful writer and the narrative not only felt realistic, but was engrossing too. ( )
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |

This book is about a Queer Puerto Rican 19 year old girl, Juliet. She goes to the house of an author she looks up to for an internship. The author, Harlowe, wrote raging flower. A feminist book. Along the way she learns Harlowe...is flawed to say the least. Juliet is trying to learn where her queer chubby brown self fits into feminism that ends up being whitewashed. Also before she left for the internship she came out to her family...and the reaction wasn't great.

Honestly I still hate her mother though i'm not sure i'm supposed to. She's "trying" but failing so hard. I will never understand why it's so hard to accept that some people..are gay. Like who cares? Why is it a problem and so hard to come to grips with? I will never understand homophobic people and I don't really care to. Though maybe that's my own failing. Obviously homophobia isn't ok, but if someone is really trying to learn and do better...

As for the other characters, I mostly loved them. I have a weird relationship with Harlowe. She made me look at myself in ways I didn't want to, confront my own white privilege. I keep thinking i'm doing this and I know racism is wrong and horrible, but i'm still white with all the shit the US has ingrained in me and having been raised by a racist family. Racism never made sense to me, but that doesn't mean i'm immune even without meaning to be (which does not make it ok!). Harlowe ends up doing things I know past me would have done and not understood was wrong, so I couldn't exactly hate her when I saw she was trying to apologize, learn and do better. But she isn't doing so great and I can easily see why people would hate her. At some points in the story it felt like "oh, so POC are allowed to be flawed and mess up, but white people aren't?" not from the story, but from how I know there is hatred for Harlowe even as I saw her trying (but generally not doing a good job of that), but she isn't the only one that's flawed. Everyone is, because everyone is human and being human means messing up and doing your best to learn and do better but no one will ever be perfect. We..are..human.

By the end of the book I saw that isn't the case. I can see why people hate Harlowe, even though I don't think she's exactly evil. I don't love her, I don't hate her. I'm not sure how I feel about her, it's an odd relationship. Which is why I feel odd about hating Juliet's mother. Juliet doesn't hate her mom. They say they love each other, but I can't wrap my head around how you can love someone but not accept they are gay and why is that so hard?

Basically this book is causing me to take a long hard look at myself, to think a lot and ask questions. I JUST finished this book, and I know it will take me awhile to process it.

I LOVE Juliet. She is naive but willing to learn. She doesn't have it all figured out by the end of the book, and that's ok. It's about the journey. She learns a lot in the book and is learning how to love herself, every bit of her in a world that wants to make her something else. She is only 19 and who at 19 has it all figured out? I'm pretty sure no one ever does, especially not at 19. But as I said she goes through a lot and learns a lot. There is so much to this book.

This book made me angry, sad, happy. It made me cry. I don't necessarily think it's perfect but it's damn close. It's a wonderful book with a great message, great and real characters, and ways to make you think.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, especially those looking to see themselves in this book or looking to challenge their mindsets. ( )
  Wickedjr89 | Jul 8, 2017 |
Such a cute book for young adults. My favorite were the parts in Miami. I want to go to the a queer barbershop dance party! Also putting so much importance on meditation/self care was really lovely to see. ( )
  knownever | May 14, 2017 |

Gabby Riveraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Road, Cristy C.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Juliet Milagros Palante is leaving the Bronx and headed to Portland, Oregon. She just came out to her family and isn't sure if her mom will ever speak to her again. But Juliet has a plan, sort of, one that's going to help her figure out this whole "Puerto Rican lesbian" thing. She's interning with the author of her favorite book: Harlowe Brisbane, the ultimate authority on feminism, women's bodies, and other gay-sounding stuff. Will Juliet be able to figure out her life over the course of one magical summer? Is that even possible? Or is she running away from all the problems that seem too big to handle? With more questions than answers, Juliet takes on Portland, Harlowe, and most importantly, herself."--Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,064,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible