The Black Widow (2016)

by Daniel Silva

Series: Gabriel Allon (16)

Gabriel Allon, the art restorer, spy, and assassin, is poised to become the chief of Israel secret intelligence service. But on the eve of his promotion, events conspire to lure him into the field for one final operation. ISIS has detonated a massive bomb in the Marais district of Paris, and a desperate French government wants Gabriel to eliminate the man responsible before he can strike again.… (more)

English (38)  Danish (1)  All languages (39)
Daniel Silva never fails to entertain and awe me with his writing. Gabriel is my favorite hero, honestly, I feel like I know him. Loved this book, loved all the others before ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
Fantastic and very frightening ( )
  scoene | Jul 13, 2021 |
In his foreword, Silva talks about his decision to leave his plot the same as it was prescient about all of the violence that has occurred recently by terrorists. Starting with a horrific bombing of a Jewish Center in Paris, Gabriel Allon is compelled to find the mastermind by recruiting someone fresh to penetrate ISIS. He is almost too successful as the female doctor plays a central role is the subsequent mayhem perpetrated by the mastermind (code named Saladin.) The intelligence forces of France, Jordan, Israel, and the U.S. are unable to prevent a major disaster occurring on U.S. soil. Like his other books, this one is very hard to put down, although I found the female doctor's decision-making in consistent, which I suppose is to be expected given the enormous pressure of being undercover with a horrific death the result of being discovered. A little more Gabriel in the next one please... ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
A very happy guilty pleasure. Better writing than Dan Brown, but still needs a rigorous edit. ( )
  Craftini | Jun 19, 2021 |
There is never a perfect ending to a Gabriel Allon story. Allon either saves the hero or heroine and doesn't achieve his objective or achieves his objective but the hero or heroine dies. Here, it is the former. I haven't read a lot of Allon books but I already find the formula tiring. Nevertheless, this was quite a thriller hence the 3.5 stars. ( )
  siok | Mar 26, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

The black flags will come from the East, led by mighty men, with long hair and beards, their surnames taken from their home towns. ---The Hadith
Give me a girl at an impressionable age, and she is mine for life. ---Muriel Spark, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
For Stephen L. Carter, for friendship and faith. And as always, for my wife, Jamie, and my children, Lily and Nicholas.
It was Toulouse that would prove to be Hannah Weinberg's undoing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,266,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible