The Viscount Who Loved Me

by Julia Quinn

Series: Bridgertons {Julia Quinn} (2)

Anthony Bridgerton hasn't just decided to marry--he's even chosen a wife! The only obstacle is his intended's older sister, Kate Sheffield--the most meddlesome woman ever to grace a London ballroom. The spirited schemer is driving Anthony mad with her determination to stop the betrothal, but when he closes his eyes at night, Kate's the woman haunting his increasingly erotic dreams. Contrary to popular belief, Kate is quite sure that reformed rakes do not make the best husbands--and Anthony Bridgerton is the most wicked rogue of them all. Kate's determined to protect her sister--but she fears her own heart is vulnerable. And when Anthony's lips touch hers, she's suddenly afraid she might not be able to resist the reprehensible rake herself.… (more)

The second book in the Bridgerton series follows oldest brother Anthony, who is willing to marry but has vowed never to fall in love. This proves difficult when he meets the unconventional Kate! Anthony seems to be a favourite Bridgerton amongst my peers but he’s not getting my vote. ( )
  Amzzz | Sep 29, 2021 |
No excuses! I enjoyed reading (listening, really) about the Bridgertons. And I had no idea when I started that I was going to read about "the" Bridgertons. I did not connect that this was the source for the series that has become the big 'steamy regency' hit on the teev, because I am truly out of it in the television realm. Suggested to me by Audible, I guess because I love Heyer, I thought, oh why not? I can return it if I don't like it. But I did. The family of eight, despite the fact that all the men are tall and handsome with thick chestnut hair etcetera and the girls are unusual in not only good looks (albeit unfashionable chestnut hair) but are smart and funny, are engaging. I laughed a lot while listening. And the steamy bits are weirdly tasteful and often very funny and given the world we presently live in, rather sweet unless you are a hopeless prude. I will surely watch the program eventually but not until I have run through the series as books. Most emphatically entertaining, not lit! ***1/2 ( )
  sibylline | Sep 18, 2021 |
Anthony Bridgerton is determined never to fall in love. He's content to find a suitable wife and, as the first-born son, do his duty to carry on the family line, but love is out of the question. This decision has everything to do with the fact that he's convinced he'll die before he sees 40, since his dad died young. From a bee sting. Then there's Kate, who's the older and less beautiful (half-)sister in a not-wealthy family, and who's convinced she'll never marry because 1) she's not as interesting as her sister and so won't be courted by anyone, and 2) she's just not that interested. These two, of course, fall in love despite best efforts on both sides.

A good-enough romance, but I had a hard time keeping interested, to be honest. It seems a bit derivative after the first in the series. I may abandon reading the series and just try to watch the show at some point. ( )
  electrascaife | Aug 31, 2021 |
I liked it. Anthony is a complete ass, but outside of that, the book was pretty good. Mary is my favorite character and what all step-parents should aspire to be. I don't understand why Kate doesn't call her mom. If any step-parent deserves that title, Mary does. I liked Kate too. She is strong and sassy and she doesn't back down even when scared. Anthony though had a few redeeming qualities but nowhere near enough to outweigh his bad ones. I just really didn't like him at all. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
This book was really good. I liked Kate and Anthony's story. It got me into historical fiction/romance. I liked the ending. This book was funny and emotional. ( )
  KellyChau | Jul 16, 2021 |

Resende, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shabani, SuzannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Little Goose Twist,

who kept me company

throughout the writing of this book.

I can't wait to meet you!

And also for Paul,

even though he is allergic to musicals.
Anthony Bridgerton had always known he would die young.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,375,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible