Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods

by Suzanne Collins

Series: Underland Chronicles (3)

Eleven-year-old Gregor and his younger sister, Boots, return to the Underworld beneath New York City to find the cure for a terrible plague that threatens the life of their mother, as well as the lives of the people, bats, and rats who populate the underworld.

These are interesting books for me. When I read them, the action is compelling and the story is intriguing. Gregor is a reluctant hero who can’t help but be true to himself, his heart, and his friends, no matter the danger that it involves, or the distasteful company he has to keep in whatever uncomfortable environments he tends to find himself in. As any wise young person should, he learns and learns again that the world isn’t what he thought, and that he doesn’t know everything or have the corner on any market of suffering or being hurt or offended. He’s a bit whiny at times, but what constantly put-upon and uncomfortable 11/12yr old kid wouldn’t be? Whenever I am in his world, I can be caught up, and I dislike that the stories are so short, that I have to leave him so soon.

And yet, when I am gone, I don’t long for his world or his adventures, I do want to know what happens next, but in an appropriate time, after my grown-up life and duties are dealt with, whenever I get around to requesting the next installment from the library. Maybe it’s that his adventures aren’t really ones that I would like to have myself. Maybe it’s just that there are simply other books that have captured my attention more. Either way, Gregor and his stories are definitely worth the time and attention, even if I can’t manage to muster either in large quantities. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Another amazing installment in the Underland Chronicles. Well written with a jaw dropping plot twist. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
A boy and his toddler sister return to a fantasy world at war.

3/4 (Good).

It's darker and heavier - near full Hunger Games levels of trauma and horror. As a side effect, it loses the sense of humor that seemed so important to me in making a story about talking animals and a Prophesied Hero work. This is an objectively better book than the first two, with complex issues and Big Emotions, but it's probably my least favorite of the series so far. ( )
  comfypants | Dec 12, 2019 |

Suzanne Collinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
To, VivienneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charlie and Isabel
Gregor stared in the bathroom mirror for a minute, steeling himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,144,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible