Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann

Valley of the Dolls (1966)

by Jacqueline Susann

Series: Valley of the Dolls (1)

Recently added bydananas, ThePinkPanther, Sandee88, private library, aliyah106, AnnKelly, harrietlouise

English (67)  German (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (72)
Chick lit of the 60s. Maybe not the best prose I have ever encountered and somewhat predictable but easy to read and highly engaging. However, what I find most fascinating about this book is a depiction of societal attitudes and changes in social norms that were going on at that time (sexism, female roles in society, measures of success, mental illness etc.). That's what Funny Girl by Nick Hornby tried to do but failed miserably. Despite being a better written book language/character-wise the sixties setting felt contrived. I guess that's why it's hard to find a good historical fiction book: even a low quality piece written at the time described would almost always be better at relaying the feel of an era. ( )
  Firewild | Jan 3, 2019 |
Ugh, stuck between a 3 and a 4, so I'll give it 4.
It's not that this book is extremely amazing or profound, but it is entertaining enough and for some reason I tend to like romance that ends on a not so great note. I'm not sure why, lol, but I appreciate things being realisitic. ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
This book is like cotton candy covered in glitter, fabulous and unappetizing. The women are so attractive, and the men are so rich, and every single one of them is a miserable bastard. But damn me if their descent into misery isn't the most entertaining thing ever. I would read parts out to my boyfriend and he would be like, "Haha, seriously... what just happened? Did that just happen?" This book is like, the most scathing critique of sexism that has absolutely no idea that it is a scathing critique of sexism.

The movie is TERRIBLE, btw. Maybe I'll watch some Mad Men instead... and yeah the first 100 or so pages seem pretty boring but you gotta get past that, man. I mean, you don't just stop watching Alien just before the chestburster scene, right?

And I leave you with Charlene's "Never Been To Me"

Hey lady, you, lady, cursin' at your life
You're a discontented mother and a regimented wife
I've no doubt you dream about the things you never do
But I wish someone had a talk to me like I wanna talk to you
Ooh I've been to Georgia and California, oh, anywhere I could run
Took the hand of a preacherman and we made love in the sun
But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

Please lady, please, lady, don't just walk away
'Cause I have this need to tell you why I'm all alone today
I can see so much of me still living in your eyes
Won't you share a part of a weary heart that has lived a million lies
Oh I've been to Nice and the isle of Greece
Where I sipped champagne on a yacht
I moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got
I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things
That a woman ain't s'posed to see

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

Hey, you know what paradise is? It's a lie
A fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be
But you know what truth is?
It's that little baby you're holding, and it's that man you fought with this morning
The same one you're going to make love with tonight. That's truth, that's love

Sometimes I've been to cryin' for unborn children
That might have made me complete
But I, I took the sweet life and never knew I'd be bitter from the sweet
I spent my life exploring the subtle whoring that cost too much to be free

Hey lady, I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

I've been to paradise - never been to me
(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)
(I've been to Nice and the isle of Greece
While I sipped champagne on a yacht)
I've been to paradise - never been to me
(I've been to cryin' for unborn children )
(Fade)
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Valley of the Dolls is a highly entertaining, juicy novel that tells about the rise and fall of Anne, Neely, and Jennifer. The author did a brilliant job of making me feel like I was right there with these girls every step of the way. It stirred up a lot of emotions. I can't put into words how much I enjoyed this book. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
I really didn't like this book. I don't mind an easy read if it's good. But Valley of the dolls is bad.

The three women characters are so empty, always counting on men, always needy, worried about their looks. They are nice, good looking, achieve success and make money but it's not enough without a man. They have zero personality. To top it all, the ending is very depressing. ( )
  claraoscura | Apr 15, 2017 |
Valley of the Dolls is a zipper-ripper that has been called trashy, tawdry, glitzy, lusty, sordid and seamy — and that's just the beginning of its appeal.

Jacqueline Susannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dèttore, MariapaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Josephine who sat at my feet, positive I was writing a sequel*
*but most of all to Irving
You've got to climb to the top of Mount Everest to reach the Valley of the Dolls.

VIRAGO EDITION:
Dolls - red or black, capsules or tablets, washed down with vodka or swallowed straight. For Anne, Neely and Jennifer, it doesn't matter as long as the pill bottle is within easy reach. These three beautiful women become best friends when they are young and idealistic and struggling at the bottom of the ladder of the entertainment industry.

By the time they reach the top, they discover there is no place to go but down - into the Valley of the Dolls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0802135196, Paperback)

Sex and drugs and shlock and more--Jacqueline Susann's addictively entertaining trash classic about three showbiz girls clawing their way to the top and hitting bottom in New York City has it all. Though it's inspired by Susann's experience as a mid-century Broadway starlet who came heartbreakingly close to making it, but did not, and despite its reputation as THE roman á clef of the go-go 1960s, the novel turned out to be weirdly predictive of 1990s post-punk, post-feminist, post "riot grrrl" culture. Jackie Susann may not be a writer for the ages, but--alas!--she's still a writer for our times.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:11 -0400)

Three women seek escape as they learn about the bitterness, corruption, and falsehoods of the show-business world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,073,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible