Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data…

Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and… (2016)

by Cathy O'Neil

Excellent repudiation of the prevailing ideology/religion of dataism. Its limitations and dangers. The stories presented here are not anecdotal or edge-case, they are central and impact nearly all of us. Dataism is seductive and the fault is usually not with the mathematicians or programmers, but management who wields them in ways they don't understand. The solution is to have a balance of algorithm and humans, with semi-automated systems helping decision makers. This is already happening with some robo-trader products that are a mix of algo and human. Regardless this issue will continue to grow and likely lead to a backlash at some point in the future as we continue to work out how to integrate computers safely into society. ( )
1 vote Stbalbach | Feb 1, 2017 |
upsetting, not surprising. ( )
  weeta | Jan 27, 2017 |
sus ( )
  bfps0cq | Jan 15, 2017 |
Loved it! Very clear explanation of the mathematical models that govern our lives. It shows us how unfair current systems can be.
  larg98 | Jan 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Cathy O’Neill’s Weapons of Math Destruction is an approachable, easy to digest book on a big, complex subject: big data and how it affects our everyday lives. It covers several areas people may be familiar with in passing, but probably haven’t thought much about (college rankings, for example), and how algorithms and big data come into play with each of them – not necessarily to our benefit. The second to last chapter – dealing with algorithms undermining democracy – is particularly timely, given the last election cycle. Recommended reading for those interested in business information systems, big data, and ethics in the age of technology. ( )
1 vote DoctorDebt | Jan 9, 2017 |
This book is dedicated to all the underdogs.

A former Wall Street quant sounds an alarm on mathematical modeling—a pervasive new force in society that threatens to undermine democracy and widen inequality.

We live in the age of the algorithm. Increasingly, the decisions that affect our lives—where we go to school, whether we get a car loan, how much we pay for health insurance—are being made not by humans, but by mathematical models. In theory, this should lead to greater fairness: Everyone is judged according to the same rules, and bias is eliminated. But as Cathy O’Neil reveals in this shocking book, the opposite is true. The models being used today are opaque, unregulated, and uncontestable, even when they’re wrong. Most troubling, they reinforce discrimination: If a poor student can’t get a loan because a lending model deems him too risky (by virtue of his race or neighborhood), he’s then cut off from the kind of education that could pull him out of poverty, and a vicious spiral ensues. Models are propping up the lucky and punishing the downtrodden, creating a “toxic cocktail for democracy.” Welcome to the dark side of Big Data.

Tracing the arc of a person’s life, from college to retirement, O’Neil exposes the black box models that shape our future, both as individuals and as a society. Models that score teachers and students, sort resumes, grant (or deny) loans, evaluate workers, target voters, set parole, and monitor our health—all have pernicious feedback loops. They don’t simply describe reality, as proponents claim, they change reality, by expanding or limiting the opportunities people have. O’Neil calls on modelers to take more responsibility for how their algorithms are being used. But in the end, it’s up to us to become more savvy about the models that govern our lives. This important book empowers us to ask the tough questions, uncover the truth, and demand change.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 15 Apr 2016 20:07:53 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,774,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible