Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What…

Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us…

by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz

The biggest appeal of books like these for me is finding out all the things that I thought I knew were false. The author shares a great sample of interesting things that illustrate the ways really big data groups can teach us things about ourselves that we didn't know or didn't want to know. This work did make me wonder if I should get off the internet and stay off! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Oct 17, 2018 |
Jam-packed with "who'd have thought it?" insights based on his professional data analysis skills, and reams of data, mostly Google searches. A wowser on nearly every page, many which you can't resist sharing. What's the magic age for a person to be for his team's World Series win to make him a lifelong fan? How could you have predicted where Trump would win based on offensive Google searches? Like Freakonomics meets Malcolm Gladwell. Fun! ( )
  Tytania | Aug 3, 2018 |
This book provides plenty of food for thought and ambitious in its scope - the author uses Google search data to present theories about why Donald Trump was elected president, the prevalence of racism in American society, the value of attending an elite high school, how to determine a good sport player, and more topics both grand and petty. It's all presented in an engaging manner and helps one make sense of what some of the trends identified mean. It also can sometimes be a little creepy if one thinks about how often we interact with internet services (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc) and the amount of data that is recorded about our behavior (even if it's largely anonymous data gathering). ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 31, 2018 |
An interesting read but based on much enthusiasm for the internet and the availability of information. Many of his conclusions are based on suppositions which do not have a lot of concrete support. An over reliance on the info available from sexually oriented sites.
  DonMartin | Dec 19, 2017 |
Everybody lies, and a lot of the conventional wisdom cast at us is also a lie. This book breaks new ground itself. Moreover, it shows just how much new ground is being broken in the field of big data analytics. As an experienced data analyst, what I most appreciated is Stephens-Davidowitz's ability to show how it's not so much the bigness of modern data that matters, but the new sources and our improved ways of approaching problems. From Google searches to sentiment analysis, we can tell things about ourselves that weren't possible even ten years ago. The emerging picture is proving out that we fool others and even ourselves quite often. ( )
  jpsnow | Oct 29, 2017 |
To Mom and Dad

Foreword by Steven Pinker

Blending the informed analysis of The Signal and the Noise with the instructive iconoclasm of Think Like a Freak, a fascinating, illuminating, and witty look at what the vast amounts of information now instantly available to us reveals about ourselves and our world—provided we ask the right questions.

By the end of on average day in the early twenty-first century, human beings searching the internet will amass eight trillion gigabytes of data. This staggering amount of information—unprecedented in history—can tell us a great deal about who we are—the fears, desires, and behaviors that drive us, and the conscious and unconscious decisions we make. From the profound to the mundane, we can gain astonishing knowledge about the human psyche that less than twenty years ago, seemed unfathomable.

Everybody Lies offers fascinating, surprising, and sometimes laugh-out-loud insights into everything from economics to ethics to sports to race to sex, gender and more, all drawn from the world of big data. What percentage of white voters didn’t vote for Barack Obama because he’s black? Does where you go to school effect how successful you are in life? Do parents secretly favor boy children over girls? Do violent films affect the crime rate? Can you beat the stock market? How regularly do we lie about our sex lives and who’s more self-conscious about sex, men or women?

Investigating these questions and a host of others, Seth Stephens-Davidowitz offers revelations that can help us understand ourselves and our lives better. Drawing on studies and experiments on how we really live and think, he demonstrates in fascinating and often funny ways the extent to which all the world is indeed a lab. With conclusions ranging from strange-but-true to thought-provoking to disturbing, he explores the power of this digital truth serum and its deeper potential—revealing biases deeply embedded within us, information we can use to change our culture, and the questions we’re afraid to ask that might be essential to our health—both emotional and physical. All of us are touched by big data everyday, and its influence is multiplying. Everybody Lies challenges us to think differently about how we see it and the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 02 Apr 2017 16:09:48 -0400)

A former Google data scientist presents an insider's look at what the vast, instantly available amounts of information from the Internet can reveal about human civilization and society.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,552,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible