Iron Gold

by Pierce Brown

Series: Red Rising Saga (4)

6461925,730 (4)19
"Ten years after the events of Morning Star, Darrow and the Rising are battling the remaining Gold loyalist forces and are closer than ever to abolishing the color-coded caste system of Society for good. But new foes will emerge from the shadows to threaten the imperfect victory Darrow and his friends have earned"--… (more)

this book is a major shift in gears. The first 3 were a trilogy--my favorite of dystopian, revolutionary young adult sci-fi series like The Hunger Games or Divergent. The 4th installment involved the same characters and the same world, but is no longer young adult.

I could only start this book on the second try, because out the bat Brown hits you with politics, lingo and characters. That hump is tough to get over, and the book would have been a lot better with some reintroduction.

Once over the hump, the story is great. The rebellious teens are now in their 30's. Angsty flashbacks are rare. I would have been lost without the glossary of characters, as the world is very large. The drama unfolding is critical to the world it's in, but it's no longer the epic center of attention it had been in the other books.

As I was reading, I was often changing my loyalties. Old heroes--perhaps they are still heroes, but there has been a loss of innocence, so we're not always sure. The decidedly evil characters of the young adult books are gone. New characters have compelling back stories, but we don't know how they fit into the world. What do their allegiances mean? What does victory mean, and to whom?

One other gripe--in the trilogy, I thought the Gold use of Roman myth and lingo showed their arrogance and self-obsession. In this book, I finally realize I'm just reading an author who likes that stuff. Fictional worlds are built with patterns from real life, but this particular pattern is anoying. ( )
  mitchtroutman | Jun 14, 2020 |
Yup.

The man ain't sliding on his storytelling.

Expect excellent things. Difficult things. Tragic things. And best of all, NEW CHARACTERS! And old, of course. :) The wheel turns and turns and turns.

Yep. I'm a fanboy. It's not just the fantastically detailed worldbuilding or the way the author colors all the planets upon a mythological background or how awesome all the space-opera plays out or the really cool battles or the blood.

It's the whole package. It only gets deeper with this new book. We have a real sense of history and the cast is pretty immense. When we say epic, we talk about a whole series. The weight of everything that came before, propelling the rest forward. This is definitely all that and more.

And Brown is exceeding expectations. :) No spoilers. A lot of plot happens here as well as character development. Huge changes after ten years and even more changes during this text... even early on.

Little is resolved. This is a bona fide start of a new trilogy (or more).

And I don't care because I'm fully invested in these big books. :) :) :)

War. War never changes. Boys grow into their fathers. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Twists and turns that I did not see coming. ( )
  jeffhex | Apr 14, 2020 |

I...have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I WANTED to read this book because I LOVED all of the Red Rising books(if you ask me, I think Morning Star is the best of all three). On the other hand, now that I've read Iron Gold...I'm not so sure that I love and see Darrow as the brave character that I once cheered for when he brought the Iron Rain to the Golds who had built a society where his people suffered systemic abuse. However, I will say this: I am SURE that it was NOT an easy task for Pierce to put this book together. So I'll try my best to keep in mind that it was probably HARD for him to actually write this, and probably took a tremendous amount of labor as well. The story is told from the point of view of multiple Characters.
*********I might spoil stuff from now on. So read at your own risk.************
We have Ephraim:
A thieve/ex-soldier who's been consumed by grief and has a death wish. I have to admit that Pierce's writing draws this character with a craft that shows what a GREAT writer Pierce is. Well done, my goodman. If you are reading this and haven't read the book, you will probably HATE Ephraim. He's just an asshole at the end, in my humble opinion anyway.

There is Lysander:
Octavia's grandson...and the apple doesn't fall far from tree. I...am not sure if I liked him very much. I mean he is Octavia's grandson...not sure what I was expecting. Not going to say anything more because spoilers.

Lyria:
She's probably the ONLY character that I "like". She's a Red whose family has been through hell because of Darrow's Rising. The irony, indeed.

Darrow:
Oh Darrow. Of Lykos. The boy who Eo made. He's not that boy anymore. In the end, to be sincere, I'm not so sure if he's Darrow anymore. If he's the lowRed that wanted to free his people. The Red that wanted to live for more. The man that wanted to break the chains.

I think my turmoil comes from the fact that the Red Rising trilogy was something new. And I was expecting something new with Iron Gold. But of course that's kind of unfair. After all, it is a story taking place in the same universe as Red Rising. A world that was BUILT by the Red Rising. At the end of the day, the most I can ask for from Pierce as a fan/reader is to give me more of the awesome stuff that I saw on Red Rising.

And I think with Iron Gold he does just that. There is more of the awesome gory stuff that I loved about Red Rising Trilogy.

Blood feuds; razors; Sevro; the Howlers; star-wars action. It was a fun read.

The books does what it set out to do. That being said, I do hope that Pierce writes, in the future, stuff that does NOT take place in the Red Rising universe. I want him to use his powers to craft other worlds. As a fan who LOVES the Red Rising series, I sincerely mean this: let me visit another one of your worlds that your words might will you to conjure.
  Lucy_is_a_nerd | Mar 22, 2020 |
Not as good as the original, but I did enjoy the addition of other viewpoints. Didn't care for the cliff hanger endings, ( )
  GigaClon | Mar 21, 2020 |

Brown, PierceAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curless, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elfer, JulianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moloney, AedinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For the Howlers
Silent, she waits for the sky to fall, standing upon an island of volcanic rock amidst a black sea.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,435,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible