The Magnolia Story

by Chip Gaines, Joanna Gaines

Other authors: Mark Dagostino

National Bestseller--New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Publishers WeeklyAre you ready to see your fixer upper? These famous words are now synonymous with the dynamic husband-and-wife team Chip and Joanna Gaines, stars of HGTV's Fixer Upper. As this question fills the airwaves with anticipation, their legions of fans continue to multiply and ask a different series of questions, such as--What inspires Joanna's style? What's the secret to Chip and Joanna's success? And is Chip actually that funny in real life? By renovating homes in Waco, Texas, and changing lives in such a winsome and engaging way, Chip and Joanna have become more than just the stars of Fixer Upper; they have become America's new best friends.The Magnolia Story is the first book from Chip and Joanna, offering their fans a detailed look at their life together. From the very first renovation project they ever tackled together, to the project that nearly cost them everything; from the childhood memories that shaped them, to the twists and turns that led them to the life they share on the farm today.They both attended Baylor University in Waco. However, their paths did not cross until Chip checked his car into the local Firestone tire shop where Joanna worked behind the counter. Even back then Chip was a serial entrepreneur who, among other things, ran a lawn care company, sold fireworks, and flipped houses. Soon they were married and living in their first fixer upper. Four children and countless renovations later, Joanna garnered the attention of a television producer who noticed her work on a blog one day.In The Magnolia Story fans will finally get to join the Gaines behind the scenes and discover: The time Chip ran to the grocery store and forgot to take their new, sleeping babyJoanna's agonizing decision to close her dream business to focus on raising their childrenWhen Chip buys a houseboat, sight-unseen, and it turns out to be a leaky wreckJoanna's breakthrough moment of discovering the secret to creating a beautiful homeHarrowing stories of the financial ups and downs as an entrepreneurial coupleMemories and photos from Chip and Jo's weddingThe significance of the word magnolia and why it permeates everything they doThe way the couple pays the popularity of Fixer Upper forward, sharing the success with others and bolstering the city of Waco along the wayAnd yet there is still one lingering question for fans of the show: Is Chip really that funny? "Oh yeah," says Joanna. "He was, and still is, my first fixer upper."… (more)

Enjoyable and easy read about Chip and Jo's life, love and work. Their story feels genuine and their life gives a great example of faith and hardwork and what can be accomplished with these things ( )
  Crystal199 | Oct 10, 2021 |
What a great story

I love watching Fixer Upper. It just seems so authentic and genuine. Well I loved this book for the same reasons. Chip and Jo are loveable and theirs is a great story. I'm truly impressed by their values, work ethics, faith and their desire to help others enjoy life, like they do. People like them make the world a better place. I thank them for sharing their story and letting us into their lives. ( )
  n9kju | Feb 18, 2021 |
Fascinating story ( )
  lynngood2 | Oct 7, 2020 |
Absolutely fantastic book....

However, a qualifier is needed: If you don't like the show Fixer Upper or the hosts, you'll hate the book. This book is their story and it is hilarious. I'm unsure how much is exaggerated or embellished, but as-is, it's a fantastic story. They do a great job emphasizing how "normal" they are and blessed with an amazing opportunity.

In summary, if you like Fixer Upper, you'll love this book. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Fixer Upper has been one of my favorite shows on HGTV for as long as I can remember. Chip and Joanna Gaines are absolutely adorable on screen and after reading The Magnolia Story I am even more in love! Theirs is really a sweet and simple story of love, family, and trusting God every step of the way.

Reading how Chip and Jo became the Chip and Jo we all have grown to know and love is such a joy. Both coming from humble beginnings and being total opposites gives their tale such character, and I loved how the story is told from both Chip and Joanna's unique points of view.

Waco, Texas is a place I've dreamed of living for years, and after reading The Magnolia Story I wonder if one day I will have a Magnolia home of my own!

If you're a fan of Fixer Upper, and even if you're not, this is a must read. The slow paced, laid back vibe is so relaxing, and it has such a clean and pure feel, which matches perfectly with this beautiful couple and the legacy they are creating not only for their family but their beautiful Texas town as well.

I wish Chip and Joanna all the success in the world, and thank you both for sharing your journey with us. ( )
  cflores0420 | Jun 15, 2019 |

Chip Gainesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gaines, Joannamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dagostino, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,993,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible