Have Spacesuit, Will Travel (1958)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Series: Heinlein Juveniles (12)

A high school senior wins a space suit in a soap jingle contest, takes a last walk wearing "Oscar" before cashing him in for college tuition, and suddenly finds himself on a space odyssey.
    Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: Both are decent YA SF novels. I can remember reading and enjoying them both at about the same age, despite the significant difference in when they were written.

Kid's book, but definitely fun to read. Our hero wins a space suit in a jingle contest, a '50's type event in a book from the '50's, which suits him just fine. His post high school dream is to fly into outer space. His dream comes true in a most unexpected way and leads to more extraterrestrial adventure than he could ever have imagined. Let's face it, only Heinlein could dream this up. But for a quick, fun read this perfect. ( )
  thosgpetri | Jun 30, 2022 |
A juvenile novel starring one of the space suits from Starship Troopers. Meant for kids and I read it as a kid. It’s ok: there’s no long rants from a crypto militaristic libertarian POV. If you put a gun to my head and said I have to recommend a Heinlein novel to someone … or else … this would be it.
  hblanchard | May 8, 2022 |
Say what you will about Heinlein in his later years (misogynist, narcissistic, etc.) he did know how to write science fiction with punch. And he doesn't pull punches in this story, for all that it's aimed at teenagers, which is why it appeals to adults too, I think. People die, planets get rotated out of existence, Earth and its people are put on trial (a theme which has appeared in a number of SF stories over the years), kids are abducted from their homes and adventure happens. What else can I say?

Fun stuff and good for trips to and from work! Also, the Full Cast Audio folks deserve kudos for making the story all that much more fun! ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
this book was pretty damn good.

you can feel the years it has, you can feel the emotion and the fantasy and the will of exploration, the expectancy of a brighter better future, you can also feel the commentary on the feeble state of humankind, and how we can always be better.

This book had two, maybe 3 if we count Oscar the spacesuit, an 18 or so boy and an 11 or so girl, they get involved on a series of convoluted space piracy and intergalactic diplomacy.

It felt a lot like a children's book, cheery and fun.

I have to speak again favorably of Heinlein on his female character creation, Peewee, even taking her young age into consideration, its a really smart and resourceful individual that does whatever she needs to help both of them survive, she has her own quirks and is her own character on her own. This for the age of the book is remarkably nice.

All in all, a really good and fun story. ( )
  GridCube | Jan 17, 2022 |
One of my favorites from my reading as a tween, back when the book was new.
All of my children loved it as well, because the heroes were their age and not unlike them in character. ( )
  librisissimo | Dec 3, 2021 |

Heinlein, Robert A.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mézières, Jean-ClaudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Savage, SteeleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turetsky, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Harry and Barbara Stine
You see, I had this space suit.
The Mother Thing was the Mother Thing because she was. Around her you felt happy and safe and warm. You knew that if you skinned your knee and came bawling into the house, she would kiss it well and paint it with Merthiolate and everything would be all right.

------------------------------------

Kip Russel's ambition was to go to the moon, and his unexpected traveling companion, Peeewee Reisfeld, a terrifying ten-year-old genius whose penchant for getting into trouble is at least equal to her IQ. When the two team up with a fuzzy creature of vast capabilities, called simply Mother Thing, against some ghastly intruders dubbed Wormfaces, the reader is propelled into a yeasty - and often sobering - fantasy.
~ New York Times

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,660,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible