Dogsbody (1975)

by Diana Wynne Jones

Sirius the dog star, is reborn on earth as a puppy with a mission to search for the lost Zoi, the murder weapon of the stars.
    Star Dog by A.M. Lightner (bookel)
    Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: Both are decent YA SF novels. I can remember reading and enjoying them both at about the same age, despite the significant difference in when they were written.
    Under the Mountain by Maurice Gee (Aquila)

I remembered enjoying this book as a child, so I read it to my 11 year old. He says it rates a billion stars-he LOVED it. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
For a book that is ostensibly about a girl and her dog, this novel is actually surprisngly entertaining. Jones uses her typical charm and ability to write the everyday into extraordinary to weave a story that is both energetic with celestial magic and warmly wonderful with humanity. She tells the story of a wrongly accused star (only Jones could make this odd choice of protagonist work) who is banished to Earth to serve out his punishment in a canine body, with limited means of finding the true crimical as redemption. Choosing to give the re-embodied Sirius a dog's body is a great touch in my opinion, as it stays true to the nature of the star, gives the creature an instant connection with humans, and gives him just the right amount of challenges and benefits to make the book a wonderful romp. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Loved. ( )
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |
This was the first book I truly enjoyed as a child and understood that books was something completely fantastic. I still re-read it, Something I seldom do with books.

The story is centered about a star that has been sentenced to walk the earth as a dog without memory of her past by the galactic council of stars.

Too see the world out of a dogs perspective Is most curious to me. ( )
  USHiRi | Jun 30, 2020 |
I've never been fond of the movies where a human trapped in a dog's body. Changing this to be Sirius, a stellar being AKA Effulgent, sentenced to be a dog by a nebulous (couldn't resist but it fits) court of stellar beings only made the setup even worse. But as usual, the strength of Jones' characters, attention to background, and pacing make it this worth reading, despite the framework.

Recommended ( )
  ChrisRiesbeck | Dec 28, 2019 |

Jones, Diana Wynneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collard, DerekCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grant, MelvynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lardy, PhilippeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahara, TonyDesign, Cover design and illustrationsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven Christersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Caspian, who might really be Sirius.
The Dog Star stood beneath the Judgment Seats and raged. The green light of his fury fired the assembled faces viridian.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,637,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible