A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree

by Colleen Monroe

Other authors: Michael Glenn Monroe (Illustrator)

Feeling sad because no one chooses it as a Christmas tree, a bedraggled forest pine discovers the importance of being appreciated all year long.

I appreciate rhyming, but the rhythm felt awkward at times. I didn't like how the message was spelled out at the end either. But the paintings are really good. ( )
  peterbmacd | Dec 8, 2020 |
One tree in the field was never taken home to be a christmas tree and this leaves him sad. Now he knows that he will never go home with anyone because he is too old, too tall, and too big. His woodland friends help remind him that he is special all year around, and that without him, many of them would not be around. This story is sweet, but a little sad. The illustrations are precious and it just sets the season very well.
#WinterGames2020 #TeamReadNosedReindeer +26 ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Dec 7, 2020 |
A favorite little boy in my neighborhood recently turned six years old. The area where we live in Pennsylvania, mandated that school classes are taught on line. While I agree, I am saddened because there are no little play mates in our neighborhood, and thus, his father is his favorite play mate.

But, I hoped that he would be able to interact with others and that non-virtual school would provide the social skills so importantly needed.

I vow to read illustrated books to him every week, and we practice learning numbers of objects and the lower and upper case of words.

Yesterday, we read A Wish To Be a Christmas Tree by Colleen Monroe

This is a lovely story of a small tree who each year hopes that he will be picked by a family to be their Christmas Tree. As years and years go by and he is still at the tree farm, he he sad and frustrated.

Shedding tears that turn to ice, his wood land friend the squirrel tells him to take heart and not to fear for so many of the woodland creatures find him so very dear.

Led by the squirrel his woodland friends surprise him one night and gather berries and beautiful items from the woods to be used to decorate him. The animals, including the small deer thank him for providing the dried materials from cones which provide him a warm bed. The cardinal thanks him for the branches wherein he can find shelter from the storms and protect him from the wind.

Each year, as the tree grows taller and taller, the animals continue to decorate the tree on Christmas Eve. Now, the tears are those of joy.
  Whisper1 | Oct 6, 2020 |
A gorgeously illustrated book, an old tree is personified perfectly by the artist, conveying the tree’s emotions about Christmas. The story is told in lovely verse, and it’s a wonderful celebration of the glory of trees and the good ways they serve living beings. ( )
  KarenMonsen | Dec 20, 2019 |
It was a good book showing students that anyone struggles. The main aspect that makes this folklore is that, it's about the traditions of Christmas and gives lifelike characteristics to a tree. Genre-folklore media-oil paint ( )
  rprado14 | Feb 10, 2016 |

Colleen Monroeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Monroe, Michael GlennIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,629,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible