King of the Murgos by David Eddings

King of the Murgos (1988)

by David Eddings

Series: The Malloreon (2), Belgariad universe (9)

English (21)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (23)
King of the Murgos is the second book in The Malloreon by David Eddings. The quest is under way! The Prophecy has clearly given everyone their instructions. Garion's task is to track down Zandramas and rescue his son while Belgarath must seek the final meeting place where the choice will be made in the various Mysteries. Guided by the Orb, the party heads south first through the swamps of Nyssa and then on into the lands of the Murgos. The trip is quite perilous as the party must travel through a war zone as well as dodging traps set by the enemy.

This is a slightly slower installment, though due more to all the travel involved rather than the need to set the stage. There are two big highlights in this book for me. The first is when the party finally makes it to Cthol Murgos. I quite enjoyed going through an area of the world not visited before. It adds nicely to the world building and I wish there was more of it. And the Murgo King is such a fun character! The second part is the character banter. Especially between Silk and Liselle. I think it's become an unspoken contest to see which can best eachother's cleverness.

This reread is reminding me how I've missed reading medieval-based fantasy. I read a lot of other sub-genres this year. It feels good to go back to my fantasy reading roots. ( )
2 vote Narilka | Dec 30, 2017 |
Garion and his companions have worked out who has taken his son and they follow the new child of the Dark's destructive path through the kingdoms of the west. This story doesn't have too annoy me, and the interjections of the Prophecy they are following made me laugh and the tone of the book was generally lot more grown up than the earlier books in the series ( )
  JohnFair | Dec 24, 2016 |
light and typical ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This book had a lot more action than the first book in this series which I found kept the pace moving. The main point of this book was to reaveal the prophecies that are leading Garion and his friends to the final meeting place. But the best part of this book for me was meeting my second favorite character in the series (Silk is my favorite), Urgit, the King of the Murgos. Very few re-reads from my youth stand up to the test of time (and age), but this one did. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
The Mallorean series continues with book 2. I absolutely loved this series. I would highly recommend anyone who is interested in Fantasy to read this book. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |

Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tenny, HalNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Den, for reasons he will understand -

- and for our dear Janie,

just for being the way she is.
Being an account of how Belgarion's Son was stolen and how he learned the Abductor was that Zandramas against whom the puissant Orb of Aldur had warned.
- from The Lives of Belgarion the Great (Introduction, Vol. IV)

Now, as has been told, in the earliest of days the Gods created the world and filled it with all manner of beasts and fowls and plants.
Somewhere in the darkness, Garion could hear the crystalline tap of water dripping with a slow, monotonous regularity.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345358805, Mass Market Paperback)

Guided by the Orb of the God Aldur, Garion and Ce'Nedrea begin a great quest to rescue their kidnapped child. Making their way through the foul swamps of Nyisssa, then into the lands of the Murgos, they must ultimately face a horrible danger--to themselves and all mankind....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

King Garion sets out on a perilous quest to find his baby son, kidnapped by the mysterious Zandramas, a creature that is both woman and dragon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible