Berserk, Volume 1 by Kentaro Miura

Berserk, Volume 1

by Kentaro Miura

Created by Kenturo Miura, Berserk is manga mayhem to the extreme - violent, horrifying, and mercilessly funny - and the wellspring for the internationally popular anime series. Not for the squeamish or the easily offended, Berserk asks for no quarter - and offers none! His name is Guts, the Black Swordsman, a feared warrior spoken of only in whispers. Bearer of a gigantic sword, an iron hand, and the scars of countless battles and tortures, his flesh is also indelibly marked with The Brand, an unholy symbol that draws the forces of darkness to him and dooms him as their sacrifice. But Guts won't take his fate lying down; he'll cut a crimson swath of carnage through the ranks of the damned - and anyone else foolish enough to oppose him! Accompanied by Puck the Elf, more an annoyance than a companion, Guts relentlessly follows a dark, bloodstained path that leads only to death...or vengeance.… (more)

English (10)  German (1)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (13)
Soy un absoluto ignorante en cuanto a manga se refiere, pero un buen amigo me recomendó que leyera "Berserk", ya que ambos somos fans de Dark Souls y, al parecer, el manga fue una fuente muy importante para los compañeros de From Software.

Anteriormente sólo había leído los primeros volúmenes de One Punch Man y me parecieron bastante entretenidos. Pero Berserk es otra cosa. Es oscuro, violento rayando en lo gore y entretenidísimo.

Hasta donde lo he leído, la historia es interesante pero no necesariamente es su fuerte. El lore es interesante, eso sí. Pero el fuerte de este manga parecen ser sus personajes, resultan empáticos e intrigantes.

Seguiré leyendo los demás volúmenes, a ver cómo va la cosa. A ver qué pasa... ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |
Yeah, it's lots of mindless violence and gore, but it's far more entertaining than HSotD. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
More insight into Gut's thoughts than in the anime. I'm sure this is redundant and this point, but the illustrations are supreme. Guts eyes are so stark and clear. Beautifully disturbing manga. Will continue the series. ( )
  rnmdfrd | Sep 19, 2018 |
Did not like the story or writing at all. Hated the art. ( )
  Fearshop | Mar 31, 2018 |
I have watched all the Berserk anime up to this point (including the Golden Age arc) and wanted to read the manga. My husband started reading the manga many years ago and I am not sure what took me so long to pick them up. This is a very violent almost horror-like fantasy manga series and is not for the faint of heart.

In this first book we meet Guts (the Black Swordsman) and Puck. Guts has been branded and labeled a sacrifice and attracts all sorts of demons to him, which he brutally slays. Guts is one of those characters that take a licking and keeps on ticking. He is brutally tortured a number of times in the book, yet manages to decimate his foes with his incredibly enormous sword.

In this book we are also introduced to the Apostles; fiends of god-like power who are after anyone with the brand. These Apostles seem to thrive off of human misery and Guts has made it his mission to take them down.

The illustration is really well done and easy to follow. There is a lot of action in this book but also solid world-building and interesting characters. The story is very graphic and violent, so just be aware of that. If you find violence, torture, and gore extremely abhorrent this isn’t the manga series for you.

Overall this was an amazing start to this manga series. Unlike other manga series this one sucks you right in and builds a great story right from the first volume. I really am enjoying it and would recommend to mature manga readers who enjoy action fantasy manga. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 10, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,817,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible