Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook by…

Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook

by Martha Stewart

Excellent reference book. Great as a house warming gift. The information is current and exhaustive. I particularly appreciated understanding the "why" behind some of her recommendations like which cleaners are acidic and which are alkaline and why they could damage certain surfaces. ( )
  Terryfic | Sep 6, 2009 |
I absolutely love this book!!! It has all the information I need on anything household-related. It's especially good for someone just starting out, with great suggestions and comparisons on all types of household things (cookware, knives, tile, etc.). She also has fabulous suggestions for homemade cleaning products that are cheaper and work as well as store-bought chemicals. This book is like Hints From Heloise on steroids. ( )
  charitysuzanne | Jun 18, 2009 |
My housekeeping bible. I love it. It's my go-to whenever I need to figure out something. ( )
  r0ckcandy | Apr 9, 2009 |
This is a fabulous resource to have in the home. Stewart knows the 'right' way to do most anything, and gives her readers the confidence that they are cleaning their home, setting their table, ironing their sheets, etc., properly. ( )
  tpfleg | Sep 2, 2008 |
Similarly exhaustive and prescriptive as Home Comforts, but with more graphics. An excellent resource. ( )
  auntieknickers | Feb 10, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0517577003, Hardcover)

Martha Stewart's new home reference book is a must-have for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that it's gorgeous. Printed on thick, glossy pages covered with subtle sepia photos and that perfect Martha-blue as an accent color, Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook is a pretty and practical package for everyone: "all mothers and daughters, fathers and sons who have a room, an apartment, or a home to care for." Stewart's exhaustive handbook features a handy "how to use this book" introduction; a room by room guide with weekly, monthly, and seasonal checklists; tips for cleaning, creating a comfortable and safe home, and moving; and a guide for identifying and caring for materials in your home. Curious? Take a look at some excerpts below. You'll be sweeping and shelving your way to a happier home in no time. --Daphne Durham

How to Use This Book: An Excerpt

When the first issue of Martha Stewart Living was published in 1990, I could not have begun to anticipate how wide-ranging our readers' homekeeping concerns would be. Since then, we have discovered new solutions to age-old problems, brought in experts to advise us on very specific questions about very specific?c concerns, and experimented with all the new (and not so new) home-care products. Over the years, I've brought these lessons home with me, too, which has made me more organized and made my homes better cared for and maintained.

Households are busy places, works in progress where there is always something needing immediate attention and always something more that can be done. With that in mind, I have organized this book to address the tasks at hand and also to address the "more that can be done" for when you have the time and the inclination go beyond the essentials.

It starts with the big picture--an examination of every room and everything you will find within each. The eleven chapters in the "Room by Room" section take you on a tour through the house, focusing on the surfaces and furnishings you might find in any room, and offering strategies for their care and maintenance. Starting with the kitchen, the central staging area in any home, these chapters open with practical space-planning advice, followed by the golden rules of organizing. This information is intended to help contain your belongings and make each room clutter-free and functional. Relevant homekeeping concerns particular to each room are explored in depth--so stain-removal basics appear in "Laundry Room," the best way to clean grout in "Bathroom," and easy sewing repairs in "Utility Spaces." The equipment essential to each room is also addressed, so if you are considering what kind of bathtub to install during a bathroom renovation or whether a gas or electric range would best suit your style of cooking, you will have the information necessary to make such an investment with confidence.

Organize Your Kitchen: Martha's Golden Rules

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:50 -0400)

Martha shares her expertise in home maintenance and care. Graced with charts, sidebars, illustrated techniques, and personal anecdotes from Martha's decades of experience caring for her homes, this is more than just a compendium of ways to keep your house clean. It covers everything from properly executing a living room floor plan to setting a formal table; from choosing HEPA filters to sealing soapstone countertops; from organizing your home office to polishing your silver and caring for family heirlooms.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,068,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible