Les Parisiennes: How the Women of Paris…

Les Parisiennes: How the Women of Paris Lived, Loved, and Died Under Nazi…

by Anne Sebba

Priscilla: The Hidden Life of an Englishwoman in Wartime France by Nicholas Shakespeare (Imprinted)
    The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford (Imprinted)
    Imprinted: There's an enthralling section in the middle of this memorable novel about the heroine's exploits in Paris during the "phoney war" (Sept. 1939 to May 1940) that will enhance your understanding of elite "Les Parisiennes" of that period.
    A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead (Imprinted)

WWII books are one of my passions. I love to read about war-time Paris, either non-fiction or fiction, so I knew many of the names that Sebba mentions. Having said that, even I found this rather encyclopedic volume an undertaking. Sometimes my brain just switched off when the text became 'work' to digest - like a litany of the who's-who. That said, I did enjoy the passages where Sebba wrote about the women of Paris as a collective, which broadened my scope of who they were as a whole. ( )
  VictoriaPL | May 30, 2017 |
Les Parisiennes is a missed opportunity - I really wanted to cherish these stories based on the travails suffered by Parisian women during WW II and the occupation. Rather than creating a compelling narrative, this heavily researched book reads a bit like the author's unedited notes. Major sections end abruptly without context (just like that). It's difficult to truly appreciate these stories when they are presented in a cursory and somewhat disjointed manner. I could have easily given four or even five stars for the content, but it is so sad to see such excellent research and obvious passion for the subject squandered by lack of compelling narrative and poor editing choices. The text does not so much suggest a movie screenplay starring Bergman and Bogart; it reads like a series of many short wartime Movietone newsreels. ( )
  jlafleur | Oct 29, 2016 |
Whew.....such an amazing book! Anne Sebba meticulously researched and wrote about a piece of history that we are all aware of, but she dug in deeper than anyone else ever has. Nazi Paris, and the role of women changed drastically. The seen but not heard housewife is a thing of the past, and females are at the forefront of fighting not only for their own lives but those of families and friends also. Nationality....social strata....finances....none of it mattered. A book that reaches into your soul and firmly implants itself, Les Parisiennes is a must-read for someone looking for a new view into an old subject.
PERFECT MUST for college courses.....my only critique is that i had to get accustomed to the leaping of one person to another in quick succession. Hence 4.5 STARS.
ps- PHOTOS made names come to life! ( )
  linda.marsheells | Oct 6, 2016 |
A story of what the women of Paris did to survive, while the men were off to war. Well written. Well researched. ( )
  JanuaryGray | Sep 6, 2016 |
It's a heavy read. The amount of research that went into this work is outstanding but overwhelming to the reader. Great "history you're never heard of" but you lose a bit of interest in learning about people that aren't household names. I'd like it a little bit more if it less. ( )
  kristincedar | Jul 31, 2016 |
For Thomas, Isabella, Sophia and Charlotte
Prologue: Paris, mid-July 2015, and the city is swelteringly hot.
Chapter One: When the future looks uncertain some women get married, others get divorced, yet more buy jewels and hundreds go into hiding.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,495,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible