A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines

A Lesson Before Dying (1993)

by Ernest J. Gaines

Recently added byjslantz1948, NDunham514, LexFern, RPHS_Library, private library, hrayner01, BrklynOutreach

English (84)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (86)
young black man sentenced to die for crime he did not commit; his attorney states in court that executing him will be like killing a pig, narrator is tasked by the convicted man's mother to help him become a man before he is executed ( )
  margaretfield | May 30, 2018 |
RGG: Set in 1940's Louisiana, this is a story of a young man's response to another man's impending execution on death row. A wonderful companion to To Kill a Mockingbird, or even Walter Dean Myer's Monster. A couple brief sexually explicit passages.
  rgruberhighschool | Sep 23, 2017 |
The novel is set in a 1940's Cajun community where a young black man is unwittingly caught up in murder and us sentenced to death. A young black teacher who went to the university, got his degree and returned to teach in the local school struggles with leaving or staying to help educate the children. Relatives persuade him to stay to help the young develop pride of self and form a bound. Good book. ( )
  Sammysdad | Sep 4, 2017 |
A Lesson Before Dying is set in a small Cajun community in the late 1940s. Jefferson, a young black man, is an unwitting party to a liquor store shoot out in which three men are killed; the only survivor, he is convicted of murder and sentenced to death. Grant Wiggins, who left his hometown for the university, has returned to the plantation school to teach. As he struggles with his decision whether to stay or escape to another state, his aunt and Jefferson's godmother persuade him to visit Jefferson in his cell and impart his learning and his pride to Jefferson before his death. In the end, the two men forge a bond as they both come to understand the simple heroism of resisting and defying the expected. Ernest J. Gaines brings to this novel the same rich sense of place, the same deep understanding of the human psyche, and the?˙same compassion for a people and their struggle that have informed his previous, highly praised works of fiction. ( )
  cdiemert | Jul 30, 2017 |
Maybe someday I can be a published author too? I was really hoping to walk away from this book feeling changed in some way. I wanted a lesson that would impact my perspective. Maybe there was one and I was just too bored to see it? ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
For Dianne
I was not there, yet I was there.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375702709, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, September 1997: In a small Cajun community in 1940s Louisiana, a young black man is about to go to the electric chair for murder. A white shopkeeper had died during a robbery gone bad; though the young man on trial had not been armed and had not pulled the trigger, in that time and place, there could be no doubt of the verdict or the penalty.

"I was not there, yet I was there. No, I did not go to the trial, I did not hear the verdict, because I knew all the time what it would be..." So begins Grant Wiggins, the narrator of Ernest J. Gaines's powerful exploration of race, injustice, and resistance, A Lesson Before Dying. If young Jefferson, the accused, is confined by the law to an iron-barred cell, Grant Wiggins is no less a prisoner of social convention. University educated, Grant has returned to the tiny plantation town of his youth, where the only job available to him is teaching in the small plantation church school. More than 75 years after the close of the Civil War, antebellum attitudes still prevail: African Americans go to the kitchen door when visiting whites and the two races are rigidly separated by custom and by law. Grant, trapped in a career he doesn't enjoy, eaten up by resentment at his station in life, and angered by the injustice he sees all around him, dreams of taking his girlfriend Vivian and leaving Louisiana forever. But when Jefferson is convicted and sentenced to die, his grandmother, Miss Emma, begs Grant for one last favor: to teach her grandson to die like a man.

As Grant struggles to impart a sense of pride to Jefferson before he must face his death, he learns an important lesson as well: heroism is not always expressed through action--sometimes the simple act of resisting the inevitable is enough. Populated by strong, unforgettable characters, Ernest J. Gaines's A Lesson Before Dying offers a lesson for a lifetime.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:15 -0400)

From the author of, A Gathering of Old Men and The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman comes a deep and compassionate novel. Grant Wiggins, a college-educated man returns to 1940s Cajun, he visits and forms an unlikely bond with Jefferson, a young Black man convicted of murder and sentenced to death, for a crime he didn't commit. Together they come to understand the heroism of resisting. Best Books for Young Teen Readers. In the 1940s in rural Louisiana, an uneducated African American man is sentenced to die for a crime he was incapable of committing.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible