The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living… (2016)

by Mark Manson

"In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger cuts through the crap to show us how to stop trying to be "positive" all the time so that we can truly become better, happier people. For decades, we've been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. "F**k positivity," Mark Manson says. "Let's be honest, shit is f**ked and we have to live with it." In his wildly popular Internet blog, Mason doesn't sugarcoat or equivocate. He tells it like it is--a dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth that is sorely lacking today. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is his antidote to the coddling, let's-all-feel-good mindset that has infected modern society and spoiled a generation, rewarding them with gold medals just for showing up. Manson makes the argument, backed both by academic research and well-timed poop jokes, that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to stomach lemons better. Human beings are flawed and limited--"not everybody can be extraordinary, there are winners and losers in society, and some of it is not fair or your fault." Manson advises us to get to know our limitations and accept them. Once we embrace our fears, faults, and uncertainties, once we stop running and avoiding and start confronting painful truths, we can begin to find the courage, perseverance, honesty, responsibility, curiosity, and forgiveness we seek. There are only so many things we can give a f**k about so we need to figure out which ones really matter, Manson makes clear. While money is nice, caring about what you do with your life is better, because true wealth is about experience. A much-needed grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-look-you-in-the-eye moment of real-talk, filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is a refreshing slap for a generation to help them lead contented, grounded lives"--… (more)

English (123)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (127)
First I will comment on the Audiobook specifically. The narrator Roger Wayne did a fantastic job. He made the story sound natural as if he was speaking from his own experience, not reading someone else's book. The only downside I have about listening to it as my main format is that I didn't allow myself to stop and absorb certain points over others. Such is the nature of an audiobook, the pace is consistent and never slows or speeds up. This is a book that you benefit from pondering, sitting at some chapters and absorbing the new perspectives. I am going to go and purchase the book itself so I can do just this. On the other hand, I will probably re-listen to it in the future as well, it flowed so nicely and was a short 5hrs and 27 minutes.

-------

Now, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck is a nice indirect way to describe the lessons within. RIght there in the title, you know what you're getting yourself into, but now how you get there. And it's not exactly by "not giving a f*ck." My favorite lesson in this book is basically 'Give better fucks, have better problems.' You aren't going to escape pain, it is something we all face our entire lives, but it is up to you whether or not the pain will be purposeful or not. Each chapter breaks down different points to the larger idea of living your best life, what it means to treat problems differently, consequences (with real-life historical examples) of not doing so, etc. I could go on, but truthfully I would rather you all read it yourself. I began to feel less tense, less anxious, in my day-to-day life while I was reading this. I had already begun to subconsciously apply the perspectives I was learning about without having to consciously remind myself of any bogus 'affirmations.' This book steers you away from what you lack and helps you tap into listening to yourself to find what is already inside of you that you need. Powerful stuff. ( )
  Velvet-Moonlight | Aug 1, 2022 |
It starts out funny but ended up thought provoking. If you can forgive the language it is a blunt, insightful and we'll rounded look at what is actually important. It also had me taking a hard look at how I gage my success in areas of my life. I say it was a pretty F...ing good book. ( )
  christyco125 | Jul 4, 2022 |
This audiobook was free and basically a curiosity for me. I didn't much care for it, but I didn't hate it enough to turn it off while doing some work the last few days. ( )
  jdiggity83 | Jun 23, 2022 |
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck is a humorous self-help book for people who hate self-help books. There's a lot in here that feels like common sense (i.e. prioritize what you give a shit about, remember you're gonna die one day, etc, etc) but putting it into practice always feels so much harder. The Subtle Art is super readable, funny and makes fundamental philosophical concepts relatable. Is it going to change your life? I dunno, maybe. Who gives a fuck? ( )
  MC_Rolon | Jun 15, 2022 |
I think once one gets past the title and the first chapter, where he is trying to get those who don't read much self-help type books hooked, then he has some really interesting things to say. Truly, I have recommended it to all in my house to read this, as they tend to get wound up about the smallest of things, essentially giving too many f*cks about nothing. Save those for the really serious crap life gives you. I really enjoyed his philosophy and intend to put this into practice more.

Side note: I saw this book twice in one day, once at the bookmobile and then later at the library. Yes, I am a total library nerd, so what? Anyway, I took it as a sign to pick it up. Plus the title made me laugh. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |

Manson, Markprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wayne, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Charles Bukowski oli alkoholisti, häntäheikki, rahaa pummaava peliongelmainen röyhkimys ja huonoimpina hetkinään runoilija.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,819,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible