The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A…

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living… (2016)

by Mark Manson

"In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger cuts through the crap to show us how to stop trying to be "positive" all the time so that we can truly become better, happier people. For decades, we've been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. "F**k positivity," Mark Manson says. "Let's be honest, shit is f**ked and we have to live with it." In his wildly popular Internet blog, Mason doesn't sugarcoat or equivocate. He tells it like it is--a dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth that is sorely lacking today. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is his antidote to the coddling, let's-all-feel-good mindset that has infected modern society and spoiled a generation, rewarding them with gold medals just for showing up. Manson makes the argument, backed both by academic research and well-timed poop jokes, that improving our lives hinges not on our ability to turn lemons into lemonade, but on learning to stomach lemons better. Human beings are flawed and limited--"not everybody can be extraordinary, there are winners and losers in society, and some of it is not fair or your fault." Manson advises us to get to know our limitations and accept them. Once we embrace our fears, faults, and uncertainties, once we stop running and avoiding and start confronting painful truths, we can begin to find the courage, perseverance, honesty, responsibility, curiosity, and forgiveness we seek. There are only so many things we can give a f**k about so we need to figure out which ones really matter, Manson makes clear. While money is nice, caring about what you do with your life is better, because true wealth is about experience. A much-needed grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-look-you-in-the-eye moment of real-talk, filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is a refreshing slap for a generation to help them lead contented, grounded lives"--… (more)

English (61)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (63)
Too pessimist? ( )
  shubhamchaudhary | Jan 27, 2020 |
This entire book was a journey through the ego of the author- fanciful nonsense with no real substance or real advice offered anywhere. It was mostly stories of him talking about people with undesirable traits (a few of which seem word for word taken from David Mcraneys book/podcast, ‘You are not so smart,’ so I’d be inclined to assume he did the same for other books), and bragging about his very likely made up conquests in his 20’s under the guise of self deprecation- those are interspersed with a bubblegum understanding (and mostly wrong at that) of psychology and evolutionary biology to make anyone, with even a base understanding of these topics, cringe every time he adds his inane personal views on ‘research’.

Better titles would be, ‘The subtle art of fundamentally misunderstanding how statistics and research works,’ or ‘The subtle art of having a terrible vocabulary, so use the word fuck as much as you can,’ or ‘The subtle art of I read a book on Stoic philosophy and Buddhism once, misunderstood it, and now I’ll write a book preying on people with low self esteem,’ or ‘The subtle art of if I quote smart people, and word for word take my stories from Wikipedia and plagerise other books, people will think what I’m saying is smart too.’

After reading so many rave reviews, I was expecting this to offer something valuable. It spectacularly failed. I’m glad it seemed to help some people- but I’m sceptical that it helped anything beyond an initial feeling of ‘wow I do that too,’ then forgetting about it entirely a year later.

1/5 fucks given. ( )
  ONEMariachi | Jan 7, 2020 |
A very fun motivational book on learning what to devote are limited time and resources too. Are you wasting your F's on yelling at the bagger at your local grocery store or saving your F's for more important things like self worth and lasting relationships. Written in a in your face potty mouthed style that is fun and enjoyable. Highly recommend for anyone who wants a fresh take on how you view what is really important in your life. ( )
  LouCypher | Jan 2, 2020 |
"There is nothing to be afraid of. Ever." I needed this book I really did. I give a fuck about everything. Although this book didn't really help me much nor do I feel like my life has completely changed it was a really great read. I enjoyed the language that it was written in (f bombs and everything). I liked that he told it like it is and used experiences from his own life to demonstrate what he was trying to accomplish. With that being said, I really enjoyed this book and will recommend it to people but it is not anything life-changing in my opinion. ( )
  Brisko | Dec 23, 2019 |
It's just a bunch of the usual self help stuff made up to sound like an edgy YouTube video ( )
  Madanie | Dec 3, 2019 |

Manson, MarkAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wayne, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, a generation-defining self-help guide, written by a blogger who is read by more than 2 million people each month, helps readers figure out the things that they should care about to lead contented, grounded lives." - NoveList Plus

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,309,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible