Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel

Waking Gods

by Sylvain Neuvel

"26 years ago: A girl in South Dakota falls through the earth, then wakes up dozens of feet below ground on the palm of what seems to be a giant metal hand. 9 years ago: She is a top-level physicist leading a team of people to understand exactly what that hand is, where it came from, and what it portends for humanity. Today: with the remainder of the giant robot found and assembled, every question answered about the mysterious contraption raises two more. But the team behind the greatest discovery of the last millennium might be out of time when a second robot suddenly appears, looming over downtown London"--… (more)
Recently added byicenyne, private library, Bestieboy666, paulwcampbell, blueraven57, galphin, javdiaz, bobf32, malexmave

English (56)  Dutch (1)  All languages (57)
It's an ok read. Lots of places though that are apparent contradictions to what what mentioned in the first book. I am also not a huge fan of writers that write an avatar of themselves as the hero of a series, it's weird. ( )
  kinwolf | May 4, 2019 |
OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD

What the hell?!
Like, what the actual hell????

Too much has happened in this damned book I can't even!

First, Dr. Franklin is actually alive but she's actually 27 aka younger than how old she was when she died in the first place.
Then, one giant alien robot comes to earth and it basically erases half of London
Then, more giant alien robots come to earth and land in the biggest cities of the world and they kill millions of people using some sort of deadly gas
And Vincent and Cara have a daughter????? (Fuck you too Alyssa whatever the fuck your last name is)
Her name is Eva and she's a weirdass cinnamon roll.
CARA FUCKING DIES!
HE FUCKING DIES AFTER TELLING ROSE HIS LIFE STORY! (I gotta admit I was kinda disappointed by that turn of events bc I expected a much more grand background story)
Vincent and Eva bond after the death of Cara and he teaches her how to pilot Themis (cue my heart melting)
And somehow Rose takes HIS place and then finds a way to kick the alien robots out and by some damned miracle it works

Badaboom we're happy and partying but THEN
DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUN
Themis is activated on her own and *gasps* THEY'RE IN SPACE!!!!

What an ending!
What a fucking ending!
And that cliffhanger omg!!!

I just NEED the next book NOW ( )
  Ray_ | Feb 18, 2019 |
Waking Gods has a full-on alien invasion which results in some interesting twists, new philosophical insights, back stories of some characters (yes, we get to know about the unnamed narrator), loads of scientific information, the notion of greater good, the politics of war, and deaths of some beloved characters.

To read the full review, head to my blog... Around the World... One Book at a Time
  Megha17 | Jan 17, 2019 |
I don’t even know how to talk about this book. I’m not sure I would have read it if I’d known what it was about. I definitely wouldn’t have listened to the audiobook if I’d known about the torture scene, the major character deaths, and the times when it seemed like major characters had died because I listened to this book while at work and none of those things were conducive to calm and productive work time.

I do think it’s a bit better written than the first book and the characters are even better developed. The story went in several directions I definitely did not see coming but worked well or made perfect sense once revealed.

Content warnings: apocalypse-level amounts of death, major character deaths, descriptions of major injuries, torture (VERY dramatic in the audiobook), kidnapping, nuclear bomb ( )
  bluesalamanders | Dec 31, 2018 |
The second installment in this serious is just fantastic; I couldn’t put it down! Neuvel is a genius, weaving together a thrilling science fiction tale, with suburb character development, the threat of doomsday, a dry-witted interviewer, and, of course, technological advanced robots. To top it all off, the epistolary format gives it just the right amount of tension and “what next” moments to make you want (need) to keep reading. ( )
  JPetersonReads | Dec 23, 2018 |
Voor Barbara en Han Solo.
Luister Barbara, je bent mijn rots in de branding, mijn alles, maar Han is dood! Je vindt het toch niet erg om met hem te delen?
Proloog

Melissa heeft vandaag op school de draak met me gestoken.
Vanochtend is midden in Regent's Park een metalen gestalte van twintig verdiepingen hoog verschenen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,817,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible