House by Tracy Kidder

House (1985)

by Tracy Kidder

From the first nail to the final coat of paint, from contract signing to moving day, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Tracy Kidder chronicles the complex and fascinating construction of an American dream.
  riselibrary_CSUC | Oct 1, 2018 |
As someone who has built [is still building] a house and who is married to a carpenter, I found the book a little too flashback-triggering to be fully enjoyable. I actually started having heart palpitations during one of the homeowner/builder fights over the contract. BUT, that aside, this is truly brilliant in a classic creative nonfiction way. Kidder takes a subject that seems completely mundane and imbues is with history, drama, and human intrigue. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Reading this book was fun for the most part. I'm a big time old house geek and found it very interesting to see what was going on with the building of new construction as it's out of my usual thinking or bailiwick. Some reviewers have noted that this is non-fiction, I believe in fact that it is a work of fiction although very detailed. The author gives numerous references in the epilogue of the book on how he did his research on building etc. That being said it's a wonderful character study with well thought out and rounded characters. I found myself with very strong feelings about most of the carpenters and even the homeowners in the story. Rooting for the builders even though I've been on the homeowner's side before and run into cost overruns and stuff. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Jul 12, 2014 |
This book is a jewel. A non-fiction account that reads like a novel, this is the story of a house being built. Sounds boring, but it's not. It's a wonderful treat. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 24, 2014 |
This book should be read once when you are young and dreaming about the perfect house, and then again when you're older and have experienced at the very least, home improvements. Your attitude and allegiances will have definitely shifted. ( )
  Elpaca | Nov 12, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0618001913, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:00 -0400)

Tracy Kidder takes readers to the heart of the American Dream: the building of a family's first house with all its day-to-day frustrations, crises, tensions, challenges, and triumphs. From the first nail to the final coat of paint, blueprints to moving day, Pulitzer Prize -- winning author Tracy Kidder leads readers through the grand adventure of building an American dream.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible