Homesick for Another World: Stories by…

Homesick for Another World: Stories

by Ottessa Moshfegh

Great collection of short stories that extend the author's obsession with pus, pit stains and penury after the weird delights of [b:Eileen|23453099|Eileen|Ottessa Moshfegh|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1479545528s/23453099.jpg|43014905]. These stories were remarkably readable despite their often unsavory nature. Not necessarily the kind of thing you'd look forward to reading or that I could recommend to others, but there's enough genuine talent coupled with a revolting sensibility to make me wonder what Ms Moshfegh will do next. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
"It was disgusting -- just as I'd always hoped it would be."

Very dark. Very funny. Very good.

Her novel EILEEN didn't quite work for me. I appreciated what she was trying to do, but I couldn't really connect with her narrator and her voice. But with this book, it definitely clicked. These stories are savage, raw, disconcerting, and hilarious -- yet also oddly affecting at times. Sort of like Ray Carver crossed with Donald Ray Pollock and filmed by the Coen brothers (or something).

Some of the stories are surreal, and some are perhaps a bit *too* real. (Those who've read Moshfegh will probably know what I mean.) Her fantastical stories work less well for me. I think she's at her best when she's more grounded in her characters' everyday lives, grim and absurd as they may be: "I hated my boyfriend but I liked the neighborhood. . . . I liked how ugly it all was, how trashy."

It's uneven, as most story collections are. But the high points are gems. ( )
  Wickabod | Feb 22, 2019 |
This book was full of stone cold weirdos and I loved it. Like Eileen, it felt like it was set in a different time and place, somewhere completely foreign to me. The stories felt more like snapshots than full narrative journeys, but sometimes it's better that way. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
3.5 stars. The stronger stories in this collection are excellent. Only one clunker in the bunch. ( )
  AaronJacobs | Oct 23, 2018 |
Effective story-telling, strong in detail, character, and nuance, but only some of the tales in this collection made much of an impression on me. IÛªd rate it fair-to-good overall. ( )
  michaeladams1979 | Oct 11, 2018 |
My classroom was on the first floor, next to the nuns’ lounge.

An electrifying first collection from one of the most exciting short story writers of our time

"What distinguishes Ottessa Moshfegh's  writing is that unnamable quality that makes a new writer's voice, against all odds and the deadening surround of lyrical postures, sound unique." - Jeffrey Eugenides, in judges' citation for The Paris Review's Plimpton Prize for Fiction.

Ottessa Moshfegh's debut novel Eileen was one of the literary events of 2015. Garlanded with critical acclaim, it was named a book of the year by The Washington Post and the San Francisco Chronicle, selected as a BEA Buzz pick, and nominated for a National Book Critics Circle Award. But as many critics noted, Moshfegh is particularly held in awe for her short stories. Homesick for Another World is the rare case where an author's short story collection is if anything more anticipated than her novel.

And for good reason. There's something eerily unsettling about Ottessa Moshfegh's stories, something almost dangerous, while also being delightful, and even laugh-out-loud funny. Her characters  are all unsteady on their feet in one way or another; they all yearn for connection and betterment, though each in very different ways , but they are often tripped up by their own baser impulses and existential insecurities. Homesick for Another World is a master class in the varieties of self-deception across the gamut of individuals representing the human condition. But part of the unique quality of her voice, the echt Moshfeghian experience, is the way the grotesque and the outrageous are infused with tenderness and compassion.  Moshfegh is our Flannery O'Connor, and Homesick for Another World is her Everything That Rises Must Converge or A Good Man is Hard to Find. The flesh is weak; the timber is crooked; people are cruel to each other, and stupid, and hurtful. But beauty comes from strange sources. And the dark energy surging through these stories is powerfully invigorating. We're in the hands of an author with a big mind, a big heart, blazing chops, and a political acuity that is needle-sharp. The needle hits the vein before we even feel the prick.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 06 Jul 2016 16:58:14 -0400)

"In 14 ... stories, Moshfegh examines characters and situations too weird to be real and too real to be fiction, with themes of alienation, ennui, displacement, sexual neuroses, and addiction"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible