Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Gypsies by Robert Charles Wilson

Gypsies (1989)

by Robert Charles Wilson

English (2)  French (1)  All languages (3)
Robert Charles Wilson is rapidly becoming one of my favourite authors. His ideas are interesting, and his writing confident, and often beautiful. He can claim what is probably my highest accolade - he is a writer who the reader can trust. By that I mean that his world-building is solid, and his stories and ideas unfold consistently. You feel that he knows what he's doing, even when the story is unusual and surprising.
Gypsies is the tale of three siblings who can step between worlds: it proves to be a dangerous activity.
It is also an exploration of ideas around faith; loyalty, and morality. Are we locked into just one way of living our lives, or can our choices make a real difference? There is a powerful feeling of 'the other' about this book, and Wilson is good at creating a sense of increasing menace and fear.
And he does evoke place very powerfully:
"Almost dark now, the last daylight washing up this windy road, this folded coast. Tall pines and mountain shadows and a sky as broad and clean as the ringing of a bell."
I will be reading more - fortunately, he's written a lot! ( )
1 vote Goldengrove | Aug 25, 2016 |
The fifth book I've read by Robert Wilson and it's as good as his later books. The plot involves a family that can open doorways to other worlds, and is chased by someone because of this ability.

Like all of the Wilson books that I've read, the plot to Gypsies is fast and well paced, while the character development is good. The lead character is particularly well fleshed out. ( )
2 vote birksland | Feb 1, 2009 |

Robert Charles Wilsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Podevin, Jean-FrançoisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodgers, NickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'on tourne dans toutes les directions sans rien voir. Pourtant l'on sent qu'il existe une source à cette intense agitation ; et la voie qui y mène n'ouvre pas sur un lieu inconnu, mais chez soi.
Peter Matthienssen
Le Léopard des neiges
Seule dans son lit, Karen White faisait un rêve qu'elle connaissait bien.

Karen must reawaken dormant memories and feelings because the Grey Man has returned for her son and she must try to save her family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible