Looking for Group

by Alexis Hall

So, yeah, I play Heroes of Legend, y'know, the MMO. I'm not like obsessed or addicted or anything. It's just a game. Anyway, there was this girl in my guild who I really liked because she was funny and nerdy and a great healer. Of course, my mates thought it was hilarious I was into someone I'd met online. And they thought it was even more hilarious when she turned out to be a boy IRL. But the joke's on them because I still really like him.And now that we're together, it's going pretty well. Except sometimes I think Kit--that's his name, sorry I didn't mention that--spends way too much time in HoL. I know he has friends in the guild, but he has me now, and my friends, and everyone knows people you meet online aren't real. I mean. Not Kit. Kit's real. Obviously.Oh, I'm Drew, by the way. This is sort of my story. About how I messed up some stuff and figured out some stuff. And fell in love and stuff.… (more)

Drew is a hardcore MMO raider - until he leaves his guild over a dispute about loot. He joins a new guild that is more about fun; they still raid but there's some banter and it's not the life or death situation that some raiders have. He's drawn to Solace, an in-game Elf healer, and the two of them start hanging out in-game, fishing and running alts. Drew is stunned when he realizes Solace is actually Kit, another guy though the possibility that whoever is behind a character on the Internet is not who you think. They arrange to meet and start up a relationship IRL too.
First of all, I love Alexis Hall's books but this one is special to me. I play MMOs so I appreciated all the gameplay (and there's a lot). The author uses chat windows, a form of Discord, and lots of gaming terms to tell the story (there's a glossary in the back for noobs) as well as regular old narrative writing. I was absorbed in the battles and dungeons; I wouldn't mind playing HOL.
But you don't need to be a gamer to enjoy the book. It's fairly easy to get through the gaming jargon, and there's a lot more to Drew and Kit's relationship. Drew has a crew of friends who are pretty geeky and also add a lot to the story. He is definitely more outgoing than Kit who's more of an introvert. I loved both Drew and Kit, but I probably identified more with Kit, a shy guy who's learned to be happy with being himself and his own interests, even if he's just playing computer games with online friends.
Not everything is easy for these two, and I appreciated how realistic their nerves show as they meet and date. Drew is trying to deal with his sexual identity, and Kit has a harder time with change, I think. The important thing is that they're both trying.
"As long as you cared about what you were doing and who you were doing it with, then it didn't matter if you were in a pub or your living room or on a virtual rock in an imaginary kingdom in a video game."
Alexis Hall writes in a lot of genres, and I've liked all his writing so far. I'm trying to catch up with the rest of his books but this one might be my favorite - so far. How can you not love a book where the author page says:
Alexis Hall is a level seventy-four Death Elf. He could totally solo this book on his main. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Feb 17, 2022 |
Read if you're a gamer. Doesn't matter if you're into boys, the story is romantic, not sexy. Very well written, with realistic and compelling characters and dialogue.

So, if you've ever played WoW or another MMO you'll get the references and a bunch of warm fuzzies. If you haven't, you'll get the references and there's a glossary at the end! ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
Man, I really loved this. It's just really sweet. mlm ya romance. Drew identifies as straight, develops a crush on someone he meets in an MMPORG playing a female character, discovers that the player is male, but still has a crush... and things go on from there. I was kind of thrown by all the gaming jargon but fear not -- there's a glossary in the back. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | May 23, 2021 |
September 19, 2016

I must say I'm really really glad Alexis Hall exists and writes.
Can that man do anything wrong? /fangirling

This book appealed to me in many ways.

First off, if it wasn't already obvious, Alexis Hall is one of my favorite writers. /fangirling

Also, RPG games and fantasy books are almost single-handedly responsible for the first real friends I made in high-school, met over the internetz (and we've been going at it for the last 10 years so I'm pretty sure I hit the jack-pot).
I haven't played WoW (or any MMOs), but I lived and breathed Baldur's Gate for most of my high school days (and I spent the last year playing the Enhanced Edition and a chunk of this year's spring playing the SoD expansion). So you know, I got some of the references (and when Edwin was mentioned I realized he and Bjorn are probably related in some way, and if there was an anthropomorphic personification of SoD I would name it Tinuviel :P ), and I didn't get a lot of the abbreviations and slang, but there's a glossary so I managed :D

What I loved about this book is basically everything. I loved the setting (obviously), I loved the MCs (I could relate to both Drew and Kit in some ways) and the ending was so utterly sweet (I still want more, but I also kinda liked where it was left). Not to mention the writing.
It's a book about finding somewhere you fit in and love being and not letting anyone tell you it's wrong. The fact something happens only in your imagination doesn't make it less real. If you are moved by an emotion, if it touches a part of you in any way, it becomes real at that moment, and if it makes you happy the perception/judgement of others shouldn't ever matter. That's what Drew was learning and what Kit was showing him.

"When you got right down to it, killing imaginary pigs with a bloke who lived on a different continent was no worse or sillier a way to spend your evenings than throwing a piece of plastic around with a bloke who lived down the corridor. The really silly thing was that he’d ever believed there was a difference. As long as you cared about what you were doing and who you were doing it with, then it didn’t matter if you were in a pub or your living room or on a virtual rock in an imaginary kingdom in a video game."

A bit on the morbid side - I have this thing I do when I really love a writer, that is I start planing on stretching his/her books to last me a lifetime. So, when I heard Terry Pratchett was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's? I basically stopped reading Discworld, because he's gonna stop writing soon because death and then I will have read all of his books and then what am I gonna do the rest of my life without anything new to read written by him? So I pace myself. I realized I started doing the same with Alexis Hall books, and that's why I haven't read this as soon as it got out, even though I had it on pre-order. And also why I stretched it over a few days rather than reading it in one sitting. My point being, Mr. Hall, please please please live long and prosper.

=====================

May 12, 2016

A new Alexis Hall book! A NEW ALEXIS HALL BOOK EVERYONE

NannyOgg13 | Mar 27, 2021 |
I would give this book 6 stars if I could. It is a realistic portrayal of playing an MMO. Highly recommend!! ( )
  GigaClon | Mar 21, 2020 |

Hall, Alexisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elpis, EzechielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,764,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible